Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 kit $20 AR AC FS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
That's a load of cr@p, sorry. For older games, sure. 2GB is low for optimally playing most games these days, and even 4GB gets tight with some games (SC2 for example) that like more. Most tests I have seen recently show that most applications do not use >6GB, so 6-8GB (depending on your configurations) are usually plenty. Keep in mind that some people do heavily multitask, so even if 4GB is plenty for one application, it may not be for other applications running simultaneously.

What is 'fine' for you may not be fine for another.

unless you are runninga 64-bit app, apps can't really use over 2GB on windows.

and games are all 32-bits.

so i guess in theory 3 gigs or so should be plenty for any game as long as you aren't running a lot of other crap in the background.

i mean in theory your video card could page some stuff into ram if it didn't have enough video ram (like say hypermemory / turbo cache style), but given say a 1GB vid ram card, 1GB for windows , conceivably there'd be not much difference in games between 3gb and more.

i think toms hardware actually did a comparo with 3gb ram triple channel and 6gb and it made almost no difference in games. so 4GB with a dedicated video card is probably "good enough" for 98% of people.