Kingston HyperX 2gb DDR2-1066 and ASUS P5K-E Issues

vvolcano

Jan 11, 2005
I recently purchased a C2D E6550, an Asus P5K-E mobo, and 2x1gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-1066 modules, as well as an Asus 8800GT. I'm on the stock Intel cooler, and I have an Antec Neo HE 500W PSU. The reason I bought this particular board and memory was because a) the board hypes native 1066mhz support, and b) the kingston memory is "qualified" to run at this speed on the board. In the manual, it states the only option needing to be changed to take advantage of this is DRAM Frequency(by setting it to DDR2-1066mhz).

When I first tried this setup, it wouldn't even POST. I set it back to DDR2-800(which it ran flawlessly at), and updated to the latest BIOS. The board actually POSTed with the DRAM freq. at 1066mhz then, but it would either instantly fail memtest, or attempt to boot into XP but hard lock along the way. I tried manually setting all the timings, and even tried increasing the memory voltage a bit. It's supposed to run at 2.2V, but I found 2.25V to give me a bit more stability(but it always locked up eventually). I was beginning to think it was bad memory-- so I set it back to DDR2-800, ran memtest, and I got a few errors. This seemed to confirm that suspicion.

I ordered ANOTHER pair from Newegg, and received them today. After installing them, and setting the DRAM freq. back to 1066mhz, all seemed well. It passed Memtest, so I booted into XP. I ran OCCT just to make sure everything was peachy, and it crashed after 6 or 7 minutes once things heated up. Ran memtest again once it was hot, and it immediately failed during the address test.

At this point, I was starting to think this native 1066mhz support really isn't as easy as it was purported to be. I decided to start playing with the NB voltage to see if this had any effect. It did seem to influence it a bit, but it was hard to tell since it routinely didn't fail until OCCT ran for at least 5 minutes. I got a bit fed up, and decided to play around with OCing the CPU and lowering the memory speed. Right now I've got it running completely stable with this setup:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1008/cpuzmb8.jpg

My question is, why can't I simply run the memory at DDR2-1066mhz like I'm supposed to be able to? Am I missing an option somewhere? If anyone has any insight, it'd be very appreciated :)

vvolcano

Jan 11, 2005
EDIT: Actually I'm not stable at those speeds in the screenshot-- it passed OCCT, but I still got lockups in Crysis. Blah!

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
I avoid ALL overclocking RAMs. High quality JEDEC 1.8V DDR2 800 will run @ 400 with 4-4-4-12-2T. Bumping Vcore to 2.1 should yield a minimum of 450MHz/4-4-4-12-2T or 500MHz/5-5-5-15-2T.

Manually set RAM voltage and timing to specs. You may need to bump northbridge and southbridge by one or two notches. I find the Kingston N5 1.8V DDR2 800 to be more forgiving at high clock speed. I can run four modules in my Abit IP35-E @ 576MHz (2.1V/5-5-5-15-2T).