Kingdoms of Amalur - Controller or KB/M?

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'm going to finally give this game a shot, but I'm unsure how I want to play it. Just to clarify, I've not even loaded up the game yet. I'd much prefer to play with KB/M, but some games (like the Batman Arkham series) I enjoyed playing with controller.

So, any input on this choice? I know I could try it out myself, but my controller is packed in a box somewhere, and unless it's really worth digging out, I'll just stick with the tried and true KB/M.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Why not just play it and if you are not happy with the kb/m then unpack the controller?

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Well this was a console game so it may work well with a controller but me personally would use the KB/M unless I ran into problems. I played a couple of hours of this game before it released and I used a KB/M without issue at the time.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I have it and all the DLC on PC, but I played it on my PS3 for a few reasons, but I tried playing it on the PC and the keyboard just felt a bit clunky when trying to dodge. I would recommend a controller for all third-person action games that don't feature a first person view for archery/shooting. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is one of the very few third-person action games I refuse to play with a controller. The manual aiming with a mouse cannot be beat (unless you only play warriors/fighters).

Reactions: OCNewbie

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I am a K/M user and have never got the console controller skill required to do it well. Games are starting to use way to many "COMBO" keys , and those do seem to work better on controller. I played through KOA with K/M and had no issues. Once you grasp the dodge mechanic the game is cake (so if you feel ok with that, you will know if you need a controller), so much so it will be a bit repetitious, I found no battle that was hard once the dodge, shot dodge mechanic was mastered (don't get greedy, get that last second shot in, no issues) With that said its a pretty dang good game, colorful, full of stuff to do ,my opinion, to much, it starts to feel like busy work after awhile. Picking every flower, respawns when you have to cover the same ground multiple times for quests, it was pretty repetitious (yep, same word again). But they do vary it up landscape, enemy, etc.. as you progress.

I did quite enjoy the game, even when i keep saying repetitious, its really the only glaring problem that can be ignored with all the good stuff right up to a boss battle that is no challenge (i did play mage, maybe other classes are harder).

Reactions: OCNewbie

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I haven't played this in a few days (I just wanted something totally mindless, and even this has more story than I want right now), but I had been playing with an XBox controller for PC and it seemed fairly sufficient. I'm probably less than an hour into the game though, so I suppose I can't really give a great assessment of how well the controller would work for the entire game just yet.