Kilowatt - one more.....please/Paulson praise/W98 networking!

Dantoo

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
When I'm running Klinux on a node, I can break into the setup by pressing Sysrq. I dont seem to be able to reconfigure the RC5 client at this point. Is it possible without rebooting?

Also is it possible to force a node to fetch and flush?

Thanks as usual. I'm getting slightly less clumsy each day. I've lost a lot of blocks :( during the process though.

Paulson's tutorial pages (Linux) are a brilliant resource. Should've read them first instead of last. Thanks for the trouble you've gone to Paulson you are an ornament to the team.

PS: Whilst I'm using a windows box as a temporary pproxy, I'd like to lock down it's IP address so that a new one isn't issued each time it reboots (it is windows!). Is this a setting in Networking? I have to leave the pproxy there until I get this Linux box sorted. It "seems" very unstable - its cracking on a C533 at a whopping 93.72 kkeys with nothing else running (apparently)in the background!

Rgds

Kilowatt

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
In Klinux, since you logged in as root, you'll have to use the . / before any executable.
To reconfigure the client, you'll ./dnetc -config and to flush, you'll ./dnetc -flush.

You can do all that while the client is still running, buy typing CTRL ALT F2 to change terminals.

To issue your windows box a static IP, go to your "Network Properties" and assign a static IP.

<< until I get this Linux box sorted. It &quot;seems&quot; very unstable - its cracking on a C533 at a whopping 93.72 kkeys with nothing else running (apparently)in the background >>

You'll be suprised what would be going on in the background. :Q

Dantoo

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
Kilowatt - my saviour, my hero, my (what was the title of the old blind guy in Kung fu)!:)

Seriously, that little bit of advice brought everything together. Now that I can reconfigure and flush at will, blocks should start to flow regularly from the drones.:)

The only thing that was running on the server that I was aware of was the client. Can you check somehow? Leaving a floppy in the drive (not active to my view)was about the only difference in state that I observed in it. It seems damn silly to waste the cpu cycles that could be pushing on for TA.

Thanks again!!

Kilowatt

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< ...my saviour, my hero, my (what was the title of the old blind guy in Kung fu)! >>

I'm sorry, All Butt Kissing needs to be done in the Off Topic Forum. :D
</ I never go there :Q

<< ...The only thing that was running on the server that I was aware of was the client. Can you check somehow? >>

I answered that in the other &quot;You need help with Linux thread&quot; :)

PS. I'm just joking about the Off Topic forum part. <hehe> ;)

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
Dantoo - in addition to what Kilowatt said here and on the other thread, you can bring up a terminal and type:

ps ax|less

and see what else is running (you'll see right off how many processes). Alternately at a terminal, you can type:

(which I had forgotten about) and see exactly what is running and what %CPU it's using. I believe the graphical process management proggies use top.

Kilowatt

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Poof,
That's true, but seeing as he's a Linux &quot;Newbie&quot; I figured it's easier to learn, and kill unessasary processes with the &quot;Process Management&quot; tool in KDE.

Although a &quot;Linux Server&quot; is not nessesary to run my Klinux, I applaude these people trying to learn Linux, even if it is the &quot;easy way&quot;.
Anything that gets people away from M$, I'm all for it. :)

I'll bet money, that 90% of the people that have been running Linux less than 6 months, have the apache webserver (httpd) running in the background, although their not even using it.

I don't mean to stir up any sh*t, it's just my humble opinion.

divide by zero

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2000
Kilowatt, could a small (obviously) program be included to check CPU temp, CPU fan speed and power supply fan speed? I'd like to be able to check the CPU temp while running RC5. I'm playing around with cooling options to reduce noise and packing configurations to reduce space and this would be a great help! (I suppose the fan speeds are not really neccesary as the result will be reflected in the temp.)

Poof

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2000
Kilowatt - AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!!!!! I try to encourage as many as possible (offering as much assistance as possible) to move away from the dark side of the force and into the light.... :)

And I bet you a mil that sendmail is also running there in the background too along with apache, in alot of newbie installs... ;)

Kilowatt

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Divided,

<< ...could a small (obviously) program be included to check CPU temp, CPU fan speed... >>

You show me a small Linux temp monitor program, and I'll look at it.
It'll need to be less than 2k, after being tarballed, with no library dependancies.

Klinux buy itself makes a good temp program, just set the client to shutdown if the CPU gets too hot. :Q
Of course you won't know what the temp was that did it.

My first priorities is networking, that and RC5 are the one thing Klinux was/is built for.

I do have good news, that I've got the script finished to write the dnetc.ini file to another floppy. :)

Bad new is, no matter what I do, I can't telnet into Klinux. :(
Can anyone help with this?
I think the problem is only one user, and that's root.
Connection is always refused, meaning that it at least gets to the Klinux box.

More good news, I've got about 100k left to play with adding the different nic support. :)
I don't think that's enough space to just release one version though.

More bad news, (kind of) to make that space, the virtual console that shows the kernel bootup process, is gone. <insert it makes ME no nevermind smilie here>
DHCP still works, but you won't know it untill you do an &quot;ifconfig&quot; to check it, unless you just trust me. :Q

Poof,
I see we're on the same wavelength as far as Linux goes. :)

<pardon me, no time to speel chek> ;)