Killer Instinct

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Now, from Firefox, when I get to the Windows store and click on ""Get the app", it opens up a new window for approximately half a second, before that new window closes itself. So right now I can't download it, why is that window closing on its own?

I'm assuming that new window is actually a new browser window that's attempting to open an app-link. For example, if you want to setup a link to an IRC server, you just do irc://server:port/ as a URL. Unless you're saying that it's a blank Store window that immediately closes. If that's the case, I found this help entry about the Store closing.

I've also tried to access the store directly from the "Store" icon on my taskbar. When I click on that one, the store window does open up, and it stays open. However, from that one, when I click on the blank search bar and type "killer" (to find the game) it closes the whole thing half way during the typing. I've just typed one single letter in that search bar and it closes automatically (the whole page closes, back to desktop).

I'd try the thing above. It sounds like the search cache is bad. Also, I just removed the Store from the taskbar (it's just pinned). You can easily access the apps by hitting the Windows key and just typing in the application/app name into the search/Cortana bar. (It's the same on Windows 7 and 8 too.)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I gave up waiting for my xb1 to update killer instinct and went to bed. Have to see how this runs on PC for me when I get home later.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
@ Aikouka

I appreciate your help. I'm reading your reply just now, however. I spent (more like wasted) a good 8+ hours last night doing Google research and ending up doing a lot of things to try to find the Store issues I had, things that - ultimately - weren't necessary. One of those "solutions" had me copying and pasting a command script in Command Prompt which resulted in my Store being completely wiped out, along with its Task Bar icon just entirely vanishing. Then of course I tried to fix that, trying to get the Store back, typing even more commands, some of them in Powershell, to no avail.

So I ended up re-upgrading my OS installation to fix the Store-missing-in-action issue. But that wasn't all, nope. Then my adventure consisted of trying to actually log-in to a Microsoft account, only to have the log-in itself crashing. Then me creating a Local account, but entirely forgetting about how I would have to enter the password upon the next system boot. That's because I've been using ALL my OS installations over the past 15 years or so without having to use a password, so the idea of having to do that completely escaped me.

So I was entirely stuck at the Windows login screen, unable to access my OS. Thankfully... I thought about using my Wii U's browser to check the web for solutions to THAT new problem. I ended up booting from the Windows DVD (the one I created from the Microsoft's site, with their own media creation tool) and doing Shit + F10 to open up a Command Prompt to trick the login screen for the next reboot to create a new login password to finally access my system.

Eight. Hours.

Now, system works, Store works.

Do you know what was the problem with the Store app window closing? Well, I'm gonna tell you. It was SO much simpler than I thought. It just so happened that the Store needed an update. Yep, opened the Store, clicked the login icon, drop down options, Downloads and Updates, went there, did ONE update specifically for the "Store", in the list of available updates, downloaded something, then the Store closed, opened it again and BOOM, everything works. And during my initial research on Google NOT ONE result ever suggested to simply do that, rather amazing.

So... phew * takes a deep breath * ...

I'm currently downloading Killer Instinct as I type this.

Now the only thing remaining is to figure out for myself if my MadCatz SFIV Fightpad will be good enough, or if I'll buy another one. The only one I have in mind if I do have to buy another fighting pad would be the HORI FC4. I know that MadCatz recently released a new one (SFV FightPad Pro), but reviews on Amazon (in particular) are destroying it, supposedly has a very cheap D-pad and - indeed as I can see - a very unnecessary touch pad (which ends up taking too much space on the controller).

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Do you know what was the problem with the Store app window closing? Well, I'm gonna tell you. It was SO much simpler than I thought. It just so happened that the Store needed an update. Yep, opened the Store, clicked the login icon, drop down options, Downloads and Updates, went there, did ONE update specifically for the "Store", in the list of available updates, downloaded something, then the Store closed, opened it again and BOOM, everything works. And during my initial research on Google NOT ONE result ever suggested to simply do that, rather amazing.

Out of curiosity, were there any Windows Updates? That seems rather... well... dumb that an app has to update itself. You'd imagine that since Windows 10 is rather militant about installing updates, it would handle updates for built-in apps.

Now the only thing remaining is to figure out for myself if my MadCatz SFIV Fightpad will be good enough, or if I'll buy another one. The only one I have in mind if I do have to buy another fighting pad would be the HORI FC4. I know that MadCatz recently released a new one (SFV FightPad Pro), but reviews on Amazon (in particular) are destroying it, supposedly has a very cheap D-pad and - indeed as I can see - a very unnecessary touch pad (which ends up taking too much space on the controller).

Do note that the Killer Instinct description states that it only supports Xbox 360 fight sticks at this time. In other words, if you're looking at an Xbox One fight stick, it will not work.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Out of curiosity, were there any Windows Updates? That seems rather... well... dumb that an app has to update itself. You'd imagine that since Windows 10 is rather militant about installing updates, it would handle updates for built-in apps.

Do note that the Killer Instinct description states that it only supports Xbox 360 fight sticks at this time. In other words, if you're looking at an Xbox One fight stick, it will not work.

Yeah Windows 10 had updates from Windows Update, however those updates changed nothing. The resolution of the "Get the app window closing on its own" problem only came after I updated Windows Store itself via its own Downloads and Updates section (manually selecting "Store" app in the list of available updates).

As for the controller, thanks for pointing that out regarding XBOX 360 controller support limitation (for now anyway), I didn't pay attention to that. However, I did find the following after doing some Googling on the subject: " Despite being said support for Xbox 360 controllers is present, Developers haven't said a word regarding other types of controllers (fightsticks and general joysticks, like L******h). However, in case the settings or your loved periferic are messed up (if you played Dark Souls 2 on PC you know what I'm talking about), well, no worries, because there's a program that can help you.

If you look in the net, by googling, you can find an application that can configure every kind of joystick like a xbox 360 controller. This would help you a lot, expecially if you can't gather a microsoft periferical entertainment system in the brief terms of time (like me). "

In any case, if everything fails with my current controller, then I might simply go for an actual 360 controller (but that will probably be my last option). I do know, however, that on Windows 7 my SFIV Fightpad was detected as a 360 controller, and to make it work I had to download a "Microsoft 360 Accessories Software" update as well. So maybe it's gonna work fine, I'll find out soon enough. And, wow... why can't Windows Store downloading the game any slower? It's been a good hour+ by now, not even half done.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well, I played around a bit and see zero benefit to playing this on PC vs the XB1. Running at 4k and going through the performance test results in a fail. There's not enough graphics options and it doesn't look different enough to be worth keeping installed on my PC.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I've been waiting 20 years for this - came out on SNES in 1996. Hells yeah. That said, I am terrible, so if anyone wants to kick my ass, I am ready and willing.

So far I've tried out Jago, Tusk, Arbiter, and Rash. I like Tusk quite a bit (Jago was my go-to in KI), but I'd also like to give Thunder a go. Fulgore was always badass too.

But man, I'm gonna need *A LOT* of practice to get anywhere near decent. I'm still mastering the controller, let alone combos!

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Ok, played a bit with it, just a few minutes.

I wanted to confirm that the MadCatz SFIV Fightpad works wonderfully, no issues, and it was detected right away. I've also just read (via Google searching) that people are reporting that their HORI FC4 controller also works. However, they're using a program called JoyToKey to make it work. It works, nonetheless, and that's the important part. The devs do mention on the Ultra-Combo forums that they are, however, indeed working on an update that will make the XBOX One controller compatible with the game (apparently it just doesn't work with it right now). As far as technical issues go, I've had the "game running way too fast" problem, apparently due to playing on a monitor with a high refresh rate (mine is 144hz). I had to force 60hz on the game to make it run properly, now it works.

Alright, back to kickin- I mean... back to getting kicked royally (by the CPU). I'm just a bit rusty with KI, for essentially not playing KI since... hummm... a good 6+ years (last one I played was KI Gold on my N64, when I still had it).

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
The game plays so smooth on my PC vs XB. Still waiting on drivers for my Razer Atrox though so 2 buttons still don't work but it's not like I need them anyway.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The game plays so smooth on my PC vs XB. Still waiting on drivers for my Razer Atrox though so 2 buttons still don't work but it's not like I need them anyway.

I honestly don't notice the difference. Maybe slightly less aliasing on edges. It runs 60fps on the xb1 too. It feels the same to me.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Alright, bought the "full" version a few hours ago (why is Shadow Jago not part of that bundle? They give you everything in that version, except SJ? That's cheap, man). It's very fun, plays very smoothly, very happy with the purchase.

I've played about five or six matches with most of the characters. The ones I find "new comer friendly" (at least that's what it "feels" like to me) are: Sabrewulf (I expected as much), Riptor (I was actually very surprised by the immediate simplicity of that character, very fun to play, but must be one heck of an annoyance to fight against), Aganos (very simple mechanics) and Jago (he reminds me a bit of Scorpion's Ninjutsu variation in MKX; Jago is sort of a "go to" character for a lot of people it seems and I can see why now).

I'm a complete beginner though. I have a lot to learn, but I'm happy to see that the Shadow and Instinct system are much more simple to use than I thought they'd be. The one tricky part so far is to pay attention to what Low, Medium and High attacks visually (physically) look like with each and every single characters of the game. If you manage to memorize most of them you'll almost never end up locked, and that must be one of the best (if not the very best) advantage someone would have in this game over any opponent.

I also really like how we can set CPU Vs. CPU matches, it's very useful. For example, when I was giving a try to Tusk (he's good, but sort of tricky to use, wouldn't consider him for beginners) I just got demolished on my first match against Maya (and that match brought me right back to good ol' KI Gold days, especially because they both had their respective Retro costume on). I won my second match against her but it was brutally tough. So I set up a CPU Vs CPU on Hard with them both to see how one would deal against another. That mode is going to help me find out proper "counters" for 'x' characters.

So, overall, it's very fun, bombastic, over the top, fast-paced, and the fighting is very satisfying (and visually beautiful, it's a spectacle). It's not a "perfect" game, but it's the best fighting game I've played on the PC so far, period. There's some character designs I don't like much (Glacius, sorry bro, it was fun while it lasted back in the days), or sometimes I find some animations on some of them to be too stiff (such as Thunder's), but generally speaking it's just a blast to play.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
im absolutely loving kim wu. her animations are fan-goddamn-tastic.
now if only i didn't suck at pulling off combos :awe:

jago is probably the easiest character to pick up, IMO, since he's very much like ryu/ken from SF.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
im absolutely loving kim wu. her animations are fan-goddamn-tastic.
now if only i didn't suck at pulling off combos :awe:

jago is probably the easiest character to pick up, IMO, since he's very much like ryu/ken from SF.

I've tried Kim (against the CPU, two matches on Medium, one on Hard). She's alright but I'm having a hard time closing distance against some characters, like Glacius, Fulgore and Aria (well, those three characters are the ones I played against). I won two of those matches, lost against Aria (that was on Hard). Kim's fighting style seems to necessitate medium-to-close range, from what I can understand of her so far anyway. Now of course, I'm new so maybe I'm totally wrong and I'll find out with more practice.

I'm starting to really like Sadira now, but she moves in diagonals more than straight forward, it's a bit tricky. I also gave another go with Tusk, I'm REALLY trying to like him (liked him a lot in KI2) but there's something off about his moves that turns me off from his fighting style, at least for now (I'll try again for sure).

I've also tried to play online just out of curiosity. The first time my game became unresponsive on the "Ready / Search" private lobby screen and I had to close the executable from the task manager. The second time it didn't freeze, but no one joined after about 15 mins (at some point I just left the game running and checked other things on the web while waiting, checked regularly, no one ever joined). I mean, maybe I'm genuinely missing something here, but if I want to just play ONE match against someone online (unranked) then I need to use the exhibition mode, yeah?

Anyway, it's a blast.

However, I do have some sort of a "complaint" to make, regarding KI Gold, the in-game currency. I have 18,000, thanks to the limited offer from buying that bundle. If I understand correctly, for now anyway, KIGold allows us to buy accessories and costumes. The thing is, everything is going to get unlocked anyway over time as I keep playing the game. I'll have it all if I'm merely patient (might take months, sure, but I don't plan on stopping playing KI any time soon).

So right now using KIGold is a shortcut for those who don't want to wait... ok I get that. Actually I don't have a problem about KIGold being a shortcut in and of itself. But I suppose that I was expecting some of those items to actually be exclusive to KIGold. Not to mention that the highest the item's level is, the higher is cost (but it doesn't always look "better" than lower level options... although of course that's subjective, I guess). The gist of this is that - ultimately - KIGold was rather an unnecessary addition to the game, and a gimmick to sort of give more credibility to the bundles ("hey look! LOOK! you'll get 18k of those fancy KI-branded gold coins to buy stuff with if you buy this bundle!"). As far as unlocking stuff in a fighting game goes, Mortal Kombat X is still the king (I'm not asking for a crypt in KI, just saying that right now just playing KI to unlock everything is generic even though it's "efficient", but simply wasn't necessary).

So anyway, I'll give Killer Instinct a 9/10, love it (still trying to process that I'm playing KI on a PC).

Last edited:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
This has cross platform play right? Just use your Xbox live gamer tag?

It's automatically being used. The Microsoft account I'm using to log-in to the Store has the same information as the one I'm using for Live, it's all apparently linked to my Hotmail address as well. There's an option to disable cross-platform though, maybe that will help. I just got back home, I'll try to play online again in a few hours.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One thing to note is that you can be logged into the same account on your Xbox One and Windows 10 machine; however, you cannot play Killer Instinct on both machines at the same time. Although, I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the cross-save feature or if they're limiting the license to one instance at a time (cross-buy reasoning or whatever). I had Killer Instinct open on my X1 when I was forcing the update, and it asked me if I wanted to close the other instance if I opened it on my PC.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
if anyone wants to get some friendlies going, feel free to add me. Fenixgoon (of course :))

right now i'm playing a lot of kim wu as i really enjoy her fighting style, but i still have trouble when people constantly block, and with orchid in general. apparently the new characters are all pretty OP, particularly rash and tusk. i felt tusk was too slow but i liked his damage. gotta try some of the "older" chars as well.