Killer Instinct

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
During the PC Gaming Show that took place last night at E3, Phil Spencer announced that Microsoft was bringing Killer Instinct -- currently Xbox One only -- to the PC. Information was incredibly sparse as the only other tidbit that they gave us was that multiplayer would not be split between PCs and Xbox, so you can fight your console-gaming friends. There was no release date or other information, but if I had to guess, I'd say before the end of the year and only on Windows 10.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I figured they would keep it on Xbox one only. If it weren't for halo I would have no need for an Xbox one after this e3. That's just how I feel though.

Probably want to boost the popularity of killer instinct a bit. Wonder if sales are way down for it. Also likely feeling pressure from Sony and capcom with street fighter 5 being ps4 and PC only with cross platform online play.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Wasn't this pay per character?

I'm not sure if you can buy the characters separately, but the base game is free. The free version only provides a single free character, and it rotates similar to League of Legends.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
imo this is to directly compete with SF5. it was only a matter of time that this would be happening, most people saw it coming.

and you can buy the characters separately for $5, or pay $20 per "season", which included 8 characters in s1, and 10 in s2 (with 1 "bonus" character Omen, and shadow jago which was a bonus character in season 1 if you bought the day1 xbox live card).

there was also a $40 pack that included all accessories etc for each season.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'll definitely buy it.

The arcade original was, in my opinion, a masterpiece for many years (it was way ahead of its time). I also really liked KI2 (especially KI Gold on the N64). I've had only two occasions to play the new one on my cousin's XOne and I was very pleasantly surprised. I watched many game-play videos prior to that of course on YouTube, but I never really was able to properly "judge" it since I wanted to give it a try. Well I have (although not for long each times) and from the little I've played I had a blast. I still, however, really dislike what they've done with Glacius, both designs-wise and for his fighting style. And I'm not exactly "happy" with the new Riptor (the original one felt way more heavier, massive and intimidating). But other than for those two I actually do honestly like (and love in some cases) the other new takes on the rest of the characters. I especially like the new Fulgore (when in fact it was KI2's Fulfore that I sort of disliked).

Yeah I'm in. I'm happy that the PC is getting more fighting games since a few years with Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat 9 (2011), Injustice, Mortal Kombat X, Street Fighter V, and now Killer Instinct. To me, it's only good news.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'll definitely buy it.

The arcade original was, in my opinion, a masterpiece for many years (it was way ahead of its time). I also really liked KI2 (especially KI Gold on the N64). I've had only two occasions to play the new one on my cousin's XOne and I was very pleasantly surprised. I watched many game-play videos prior to that of course on YouTube, but I never really was able to properly "judge" it since I wanted to give it a try. Well I have (although not for long each times) and from the little I've played I had a blast. I still, however, really dislike what they've done with Glacius, both designs-wise and for his fighting style. And I'm not exactly "happy" with the new Riptor (the original one felt way more heavier, massive and intimidating). But other than for those two I actually do honestly like (and love in some cases) the other new takes on the rest of the characters. I especially like the new Fulgore (when in fact it was KI2's Fulfore that I sort of disliked).

Yeah I'm in. I'm happy that the PC is getting more fighting games since a few years with Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat 9 (2011), Injustice, Mortal Kombat X, Street Fighter V, and now Killer Instinct. To me, it's only good news.

i'm probably the biggest killer instinct fan on this forum. i own a killer instinct 2 arcade cabinet (with PCB+HD) and a killer instinct 1 PCB+HD. it's in my garage and i still use it every now and then. i have to say though, KI1 has NOT aged well. but for nostalgia reasons i still love it.

i've had KI on xbox1 since launch, and i have to say, i am IN LOVE with the game. i was playing it literally every weekend since launch of x1 until my son was born in march, and i haven't had much time with it since, which sucks.

as far as glacius, i was also not a fan of his redesign. at all. i played him at evo (before the game was out) and was like WTF is this crap? but after the game out, i gave him more time and really started to like him. now he is my main and my best character. also, i ALWAYS play with his retro costume, which IMO, is the best retro costume in the game. it really looks like the KI1 version, other than not being quite as bulky. no pointy spikes or anything.

also you didn't mention anything about online play on KI with your time on it, but let me tell you, it is BY FAR the best online experience i've ever had. it literally feels like you are playing with someone in the same room as you, yet they are thousands of miles away. it's incredible and i truly have no clue how they can make it so great.

with sf5 coming out, and them claiming to be wokring on their own version of rollback code (like KI did), i only hope it is as good as killer instincts. it is a tough feat to match. i was extremely let down with how piss poor the netcode in MKX is though. it's terrible. worse than SF4, which is playable, but after playing KI, it's hard to go back and play SF4 now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Sorry to bump the old thread but if anyone if planning to get this or Street Fighter 5 for PC and was interested in an arcade stick, Mad Catz just announced some SF5 themed sticks and they are available for pre-order on amazon. They will all function on the PC as well. The Xbox One TE2 arcade stick will not unless it is modified to function with a playstation console. All the PS3/PS4 sticks will work on the PC without issue. The Chun-Li Themed standard TE2 PS3/PS4 stick is in stock at amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B018AW405K/panandscathed-20

711uKjjPFhL._SL1500_.jpg

71So5cA2N2L._SL1500_.jpg

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Today is supposed to be the release day for the PC version of Killer Instinct, can anyone find it?

It's not on the Microsoft / Windows Store (can only find the XBOX One version there, and even that version doesn't seem to be the new Season 3), not on Origin (it has nothing to do with EA, so I suppose it'll never be there), not on Steam (if it's exclusive to Microsoft, then I guess it'll never be there either) and not on GMG (well, if it's not on Steam, I doubt it'll ever be available there too).

So, Where. The. Heck. Is. KI. For. PC.? Have anybody found it? Please, let me know if you do, I sort of want to buy it.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I have a love/hate relationship with this game, on one hand it was the best looking game on the n64 and looked very similar to the arcade game. The thing I hated about it was my older brother got to a point on the game that if he landed one hit on you, he would combo the crap out of the game and it was over for you.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Today is supposed to be the release day for the PC version of Killer Instinct, can anyone find it?

Something might have changed after two hours since you posted this, but I can find it in the Windows Store just by searching for "killer". Do note that just like Gears of War Ultimate Edition and Quantum Break, this requires Windows 10. Also note that the game is technically free, but it uses a shareware-esque model where you get a rotating character (similar to League of Legends and some other MOBAs). You can buy characters individually or in season packs. Today is also the release of season 3, which brings eight new characters (four available now).

To note, if you own any part for the Xbox One, it should be available on the PC except for the arcade ports.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Something might have changed after two hours since you posted this, but I can find it in the Windows Store just by searching for "killer". Do note that just like Gears of War Ultimate Edition and Quantum Break, this requires Windows 10. Also note that the game is technically free, but it uses a shareware-esque model where you get a rotating character (similar to League of Legends and some other MOBAs). You can buy characters individually or in season packs. Today is also the release of season 3, which brings eight new characters (four available now).

To note, if you own any part for the Xbox One, it should be available on the PC except for the arcade ports.

Ok, yeah I see it now.

Thanks.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Oh really... I didn't know that. Does it redeem automatically?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
To note, if you want to install the game in a location other than your C drive, you have to follow these steps. I'm not a huge fan of the way you install games through the store, but it's all we can do. I mean... you can't even bring installs over from another PC. I had to delete my Tomb Raider install just now because it was started on my old machine. :(

Oh really... I didn't know that. Does it redeem automatically?

I have season one and two, so I'll let you know once I'm done downloading it.

EDIT:

So, unfortunately, I can't really tell you anything yet. To be able to sync game saves between Windows and the Xbox One, I have to update Killer Instinct on the Xbox One too. Given how slow it is (why can't Microsoft have fast servers like Valve?), this is going to take a while.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Considering they haven't changed their pay for character model, I won't be getting the game. KI was my favorite fighter back in the day, but I refuse to buy into that model. If the base game with all characters was a solid $60, I could understand it and support it because then it would eventually go on sale. As it stands, I highly doubt the characters or seasons will go on sale.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Alright, so I finally got everything ready, and it looks like you do get your DLC even on Windows. Although, my god... maybe it's because I haven't updated my graphics drivers yet, but the port doesn't seem that good. There's a very visible tear line that goes across my entire screen. D:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Considering they haven't changed their pay for character model, I won't be getting the game. KI was my favorite fighter back in the day, but I refuse to buy into that model. If the base game with all characters was a solid $60, I could understand it and support it because then it would eventually go on sale. As it stands, I highly doubt the characters or seasons will go on sale.

You don't have to pay for each character. Every year they update the game with 8 characters for $20. That's super cheap for all the work involved. Plus wouldn't you know...if you only paid $20 for each season and you now have purchased season 3 it's $60 total.

You are also never locked out of any content except playing as a specific character. If you only want the season 1 characters you can go online and play against season 3 characters with no problem. You still get access to all the game modes.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

It's not on the Microsoft / Windows Store (can only find the XBOX One version there, and even that version doesn't seem to be the new Season 3), not on Origin (it has nothing to do with EA, so I suppose it'll never be there), not on Steam (if it's exclusive to Microsoft, then I guess it'll never be there either) and not on GMG (well, if it's not on Steam, I doubt it'll ever be available there too).

So, Where. The. Heck. Is. KI. For. PC.? Have anybody found it? Please, let me know if you do, I sort of want to buy it.

http://www.ultra-combo.com/download/

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Ok, I'm having a problem. I've finished upgrading to Windows 10. So far, so good, the upgrade itself went smoothly, no files lost, everything works.

Now, from Firefox, when I get to the Windows store and click on ""Get the app", it opens up a new window for approximately half a second, before that new window closes itself. So right now I can't download it, why is that window closing on its own? I've also tried to access the store directly from the "Store" icon on my taskbar. When I click on that one, the store window does open up, and it stays open. However, from that one, when I click on the blank search bar and type "killer" (to find the game) it closes the whole thing half way during the typing. I've just typed one single letter in that search bar and it closes automatically (the whole page closes, back to desktop). I've also tried with Edge (well, the new IE) and the same issue as the one I have with Firefox happens. I get to the page, click on "Get the app", new window opens and then closes.

Help?