Killed my ATI drvers. Any way to fix them?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
On Thursay morning I decided to see just how my 5850 would overclock and be stable. I upped the core to 1.275v and cranked up the fan. Was using the 10.3a drivers at the time. Well I'll just say I crashed CCC one too many times I guess. On bootup win7 does the animation and during the next faze which would be login screen just comes up black screen with a frozen mouse pointer. Safe mode s no problem at all but doesn't give much options. Drvers won't remove gives an unable to in safe mode mesage. Drivers won't install in safe mode also error of unable to start detection process error.

I tried changing to standard VGA driver and booting into windows thing. Does fine and let's me remove the drivers then. Used driver sweeper then also which seems to work too. But once drvers are loaded same thing on reboot again.

Hmm....I think maybe I nuked my card and do fresh install on spare drive. Load drivers again and it works fine. Set card to my overclock again works fine. Stress test the card and it works fine. Figure the cars is fine. Max is 1000/1300 but I'll need water block as 70% fan speed is insane :)

Any ideas how to fix the driver issue? Not like I couldn't just reload my SSD but kinda would like to fix it if possible.

Thanks,
Ken

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
What happens if you uninstall the video card in Device Mgr then reboot & let the hardware reinstall itself? Try this with & with out the drivers loaded. If you have onboard video (or an older spare card), I would remove the video card, clean out each, any & all drivers then reinstall the whole video system as if it were a first time thingy (eg, boots up & looks for the install disk).

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
System restore didn't work.

Roll back driver didn't help.

Removing video from device manager didn't work. Did show hidded device thing also which didn't help either.

Maybe killed win7 pro x64 as far as video.

Maybe try registry cleaner? If so which one?

Sig is a toy used for therapy kinda. So not much to loose anyways. Was just trying to figure it out for something to do.

Any other ideas?

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Another possibility is to unistall as much of the video software as possible, uninstall the card then reboot from the Wndows CD & do an OS repair.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Try using...

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

In safe mode then reinstalling the latest drivers.

If it still doesn't work, I'd say you killed your card with the overclock or the system partition.

Tried that already :)

I know the card is good still as already did another win7 install on a spare drive and tested it already. Just can't go above 1000/1300 which is good enough.

Yep Tweakboy it's a black hole :)

I'll play around with it a little more and salvage my data from it. Guess a fresh install might be in order.

Edit....After using a reg cleaner the drivers installed but some issues still. Just wound up doing a fresh install. To be safe this time I made a system image :)

Last edited: