Kill-A-Watt $17 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001

P3 Kill A Watt Electricity Load Meter and Monitor
$16.99 with free shipping - no coupon or rebate needed! (exp.5/11)

Every tech geek should own something like this. Find out how much power your computer really uses. Find out which equipment eats up power even when "off." Find out what's causing your high electricity bills.

SAmalathion

Feb 16, 2007
Lost mine awhile back. Terrific piece of equipment - was waiting for the price to drop again. In for one.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Thanks, in for one. I can do my own math.

I'm wondering how much juice my 20 year old fridge is using.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What's so great about the 4600 other than being able to put in your kWhr rate?

It has a battery, so it doesn't lose your usage data, if the power glitches while you're not looking. Otherwise, you have no way of knowing if the readings are accurate or not.

The P4400 is only good for instantaneous readings, not longer-term readings like the P4600.

This is important, if you are going to take readings from a device like a fridge, where you plug in the meter, and put the fridge back in place for a week or a month, and then pull it out again and get the reading.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
What's the best way to use these kill-a-watt devices? I'm trying to find a reason to buy one.

Plug KaW into surge strip. Plug computer into KaW. Push the Watts button. See how little power your computer uses and wonder why you bought a 1200W PSU for a single GTS 450 graphics card with a dual core CPU.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
^:D

Or, see how much power your computer uses and discover the reason why your barely-adequate PSU is so loud.

I have one of these and it's very useful, though I can see why Larry would prefer the 4600.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Power off retention of settings is pretty nice. I built a low power HTPC system, and without spinning down drives it runs about 74 watts, and I watch it "frequently". We had a power failure and I was freaking out because the system was now using 115 watts ... I did figure out before taking the system apart and checking item by item, but barely.

It resets on power fail to voltage display instead of power usage. Regardless this would be a very useful device for anybody concerned with weeding out the excess power using items like the old fridge which will look like a pile of money on fire.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
We had a power failure and I was freaking out because the system was now using 115 watts ...
It resets on power fail to voltage display instead of power usage.

:D Good to see your mains power is right on spec.

bznotins

Oct 30, 2003
Plug KaW into surge strip. Plug computer into KaW. Push the Watts button. See how little power your computer uses and wonder why you bought a 1200W PSU for a single GTS 450 graphics card with a dual core CPU.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Been using a 520W Corsair for a few years now on multiple upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.