Kids Who Get Spanked May Have Lower IQs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: seemingly random
How can this study possibly know what the iq potential was before the spanking.

I can't remember - was jeffrey daumer ever spanked?

You must have been spanked alot. :D

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That is true, my classmates were spanked as kids and they are not very smart. Me however, was belted, caned, kicked. I turned out very smart...

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: compman25

Oh yeah - love a good spanking... just eat that up...

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Whisper
Originally posted by: Nik
I bet the people doing this investigation were spanked as children.

... Murray A. Straus, PhD, who has studied the impact of corporal punishment on child development for decades. He is a vocal opponent of the practice.
Don't know about his childhood, but it appears there's no mystery about his agenda.

One thing I've heard is that some people who were 'over' punished carry on the practice with their own children - just like victims of incest.

To the best of my knowledge, it's not so much the spanking itself as it is the manner in which it's delivered. If punishment is excessive, non-immediate, and/or sporadic and inconsistent, it leads to behavior problems.
Yes - especially if it appears that the punisher is enjoying it or doing it in frustration over something else entirely.

It's ironic that severe punishment for unacceptable behavior can lead to severely unacceptable behavior later in life. I can remember that this concept gave me pause when I first heard it.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: Pheran
But critics say that research is highly suspect because it has largely been conducted by investigators like Straus, Berlin, and Gershoff who strongly oppose the practice.

Bingo. If the researchers are going to find whatever they want to find.

fixed.

and really. 1500 kids out of millions? what does that really prove?

All aboard the failboat for not learning how sampling works.

And this only looked at kids up to age 3 - if you're smacking around a toddler on a regular basis, you have problems.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Not to terribly unfounded. Those that spank only do so usually because they lack the mental capacity to resolve a situation creatively without resorting to some sort of lesson involving violence. Pass down those lessons to your offspring, as well as those genes, and there you go.

That said, sometimes a good spanking is in order.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
This study targeted parents that spank children really young, like 1 year olds. Spanking a child that age is abuse.

Personally I think what is wrong with kids now is the lack of use of the woodshed.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole
"We found that a higher proportion of kids who got spanked are from the south, and fewer kids from the northwest were spanked, the study compared youths from Palo Alto, California vs. yutes from Beloxi, Mississippi."

Vinny: Is it possible, the two yutes...
Judge: Eh, the two what? Uh, uh, what was that word?
Vinny: Uh, what word?
Judge: Two what?
Vinny: What?
Judge: Uh, did you say 'Yutes'?
Vinny: Yeah, two yutes.
Judge: What is a yute?
Vinny: Oh, excuse me, your honor. Two YOUTHS.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
In one study, researchers analyzed the intelligence scores of roughly 1,500 children in the U.S. who took part in the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth. They found that these scores were slightly lower among children whose mothers reported using spanking as a form of discipline.
Alternate "correlation != causation" explanation: higher educated parents have been taught not to spank their children. Higher educated parents tend to be the ones who had the most IQ/potential. They pass that genetic IQ to their kids. Therefore smart = education = less spanking instead of less spanking = smarter kids.

In the other study, national average IQ scores were found to be lower in countries where spanking is common.

Alternate "correlation != causation" explanation 1: Testing bias. The IQ test was developed in the US/Western world and kids from "countries where spanking is common" don't test as well even though there is no actual IQ difference.

Alternate "correlation != causation" explanation 2: Countries that have less access to education that would encourage them not to spank their kids also have less access to proper food, resulting in lower nutrition levels while children are developing. Therefore more developed countries = proper nutrition = smarter kids rather than less spanking = smarter kids.

That's ignoring the fact that they don't list the countries, statistics or methodologies they use to make that claim. Were IQ levels equal between spanked and non-spanked kids in those countries? Perhaps the country has a lower IQ level than the US in general at the time of the study regardless of spanking.

Originally posted by: Jmman
Maybe the kids with lower IQs simply act out more and need more discipline?

And then there's this.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
You people and your "time outs" for kids. You know what "time out" was when I was a kid? I'd wake up 2 hours later and say "What happened?"

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
In this case the researchers must of been smacked constantly from a hammer when they were young.

WTF, do we need "scientific" proof about every freaking thing we find no longer socially acceptable? Even the 2nd hand smoke reports were loaded with bull shit yet it's such a intolerable act anybody would believe it.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
They found that children who were spanked at age 1 were more aggressive than those who weren't by age 2 and they scored lower on tests to assess mental development at age 3.

Who the fuck spanks a one year old? They don't even understand why they are getting beat. I have a 15 month old I would love to beat the shit out of (love) but I know it won't do any good because he's still technically a retard.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
South Koreans have highest IQ and I know for a fact they all get the shit beat out of them.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
The research was led by University of New Hampshire sociologist Murray A. Straus, PhD, who has studied the impact of corporal punishment on child development for decades. He is a vocal opponent of the practice.

hmm... i bet he just fucked around with the numbers...

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: compman25

Oh yeah - love a good spanking... just eat that up...

Dahmer. You need some more spankings.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
New Study!

Stupid people publish stupid research results! Conclusions otherwise are unpossible!

Jun 26, 2007
It's obvious that beating your children instead of taking the time to teach them right from wrong properly using words and explaining (which some parents don't want to take the time to do) will result in less intelligent children.

It's not fucking rocket science, anyone with an IQ above 80 should be able to understand that.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Probably smarter kids are smart enough to avoid a spanking, not the other way around.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: JS80
South Koreans have highest IQ and I know for a fact they all get the shit beat out of them.

I'd say... NO. Intelligent people do not simply follow instructions, they think for themselves.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Even after accounting for factors that could influence IQ scores, such as parental education and socioeconomic status, spanking appeared to have a negative impact on intelligence.

But earlier this month, Duke University research scientist Lisa J. Berlin, PhD, and colleagues also linked early spanking to reduced intelligence in one of the most rigorously designed studies to ever address the issue.

The researchers questioned 2,500 racially diverse, low-income moms about their use of spanking as a discipline tool for their toddlers.

They found that children who were spanked at age 1 were more aggressive than those who weren't by age 2 and they scored lower on tests to assess mental development at age 3.

A 2002 analysis of 88 spanking studies spanning six decades linked spanking to 10 negative behaviors including aggression, anti-social behavior, and mental health issues.

More than 90% of the studies found spanking to be detrimental, says developmental psychologist Elizabeth Gershoff, PhD, who conducted the analysis.

There seems to be some meat on that bone.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nik
Shens. I got spanked and mine's in the mid 140's.

Nik, I've got a thousand dollars to publicly bet you that you won't score 140 or better on a proctored and third party verified standard IQ test.

Since you have made this claim here numerous times, this is both a free thousand dollars for you plus the chance to cut me down a peg before everyone right here on the forums and therefore humiliate me.

Doesn't get any better than that, does it?

We each put up a thousand, to be held through paypal by a mutually agreed upon person, and you take the test in real time with a webcam on you, monitored and then graded by a third party professional on camera directly afterwards.

I'll even split the cost of the testing procedure with you.

It'll be an ATOT event to remember, and you'll take a cool thousand dollars from me, genius!

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
The research is SHENS, simply because you cannot reverse the affects of spanking on the same dumb kid to see if he/she would be any smarter. Unless someone claimed they can time travel...

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
As a psych major my opinion is that IQ is not the best measure of a person's capabilities. IQ is certainly a cognitive standard but it's one among several.
I've worked with some certified geniuses that are truly luminous beings, and some with a genius IQ that were complete asses.