Kid Two Classes Down From Daughter Commits Suicide - Bullying

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
that really depends on the school/bully. i had one in HS who was convinced he could kick my ass. he was very very wrong. he was sent to the hospital with broken bones. got suspended for a week+ because he swung a stool at me as a weapon. i got suspended for 1 day (only because i technically hit him first) and was unharmed.

he (and anyone else) never bullied me again

You swung first, sent him to the hospital with broken bones (plural) and you were only suspended for a day? I'm not saying that your story isn't true but it is a little hard to believe.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Backpack blower? What are you, a savage?
Go vacuum the damn lawn
18373a.jpg
Had one. It was a pita to start and full after 2 passes.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
You swung first, sent him to the hospital with broken bones (plural) and you were only suspended for a day? I'm not saying that your story isn't true but it is a little hard to believe.

things were different in the late 90s. he was a known POS, administration basically thanked me for it, every teacher was like "don't worry about the work you missed". I agree it was odd, but its true

they went major bones, couple fingers, fractured jaw, might have knocked a tooth out, i know i punched his eyebrow ring out of his face, that bled a lot. he also hit the assistant principle and ran away from him to come at me again once we were separated and i was 2 floors away waiting outside the office. that didn't help his case much

Reactions: PottedMeat

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
that really depends on the school/bully. i had one in HS who was convinced he could kick my ass. he was very very wrong. he was sent to the hospital with broken bones. got suspended for a week+ because he swung a stool at me as a weapon. i got suspended for 1 day (only because i technically hit him first) and was unharmed.

he (and anyone else) never bullied me again

I think that was a 21 Jumpstreet episode.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0502049/

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Calling the kid "half-breed" and making fun of his accent I don't think are super serious, though if it's done on a daily basis and with malice (and not just ribbing) then that's different. Bullying is serious and widespread but I think kids should be able to take some insults and ribbing, I mean, I think you're gonna have a real hard time in life if you can't..

The comments from those girls about wanting to see him die and then being glad he did are on a whole different level; just disgusting. Their parents are probably scum too. That kind of bullshit is ridiculous and should be punished.
It seems, though it could just be media blowing it out of proportion, that bullying these days is much more psychotic and over the line than it was in the past. It's almost like kids are taking the kind of abuse that is thrown around anonymously on the internet, like youtube comments, and using them IRL and on social media against people they don't like.

Aziz Ansari does a great bit about it. But occasional ribbing isn't the same as bullying. Basically bullying is behavior that is completely unacceptable in the adult world. Zero tolerance of it at work and while some of it might be allowed outside of work persistent harassment can have legal consequences. In school, for some reason, it just isn't treated the same and it is far more difficult to escape.

Lastly learning to deal with it in school doesn't real help with the real world as it doesn't manifest itself in the same ways. I don't think we have to worry about shielding kids too much from bullying, the "skills" to cope with it in school just aren't going to help you outside of school. More than likely you'll learn terrible coping mechanisms, like hiding your thoughts/feelings/opinions, instead of developing good ones.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
This is terrible and social media definitely adds a whole new aspect to bullying. Still I am confused about why the parents didn't really do something. If there was "much" evidence of bullying on his phone did the parents not know that? Granted I don't have a kids but I would be spending the time to keep up on their internet and social media interactions. If the parents did know then why so little action? Because your child asks you not to? Thats not going to make things better. Even if he said he did talk to the teachers the school really needs proof. With all the he said vs she said and prevalence of liars without that proof they can't do much.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
The real question is whether you live in Glendale or if you're an ATOT baller living in River Hills.

LoL, i'm in Glendale. Very bad neighborhoods near me and obscenely wealthy ones as well. It is weird as all hell.

Reactions: pete6032