Kia plastic bumper dent restoration,

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
One of the methods I use for restoring dented plastic bumper bars is leave the bar on the car, and make a dent tool to suit for plastic dent.

Please note, some dents can be repaired on the car, and other dents or damage on or in a plastic bar may require you to remove the plastic cover, due to limited access or excess damage, or you are just repairing the bar to paint it at the same time ,

In this Kia situation, 1 screw /clip had been torn out allowing me to be able “ key hole “ dent restore this plastic bumper bar, (mostly from inside and behind the dent, ) please note, you can restore a lot of plastic bumper dents, using this easy and quick method, but with more serious damage, you might need to remove the bar, depending on the type of bar, type of car and type and extent of the damage,

1026 before picture.

Above picture, red arrows shows most of the paint has fallen off, and a milky colour indicating server creasing and stretching damage to the plastic at a molecular level, the red orange colour is the reflection from a orange safety cone,

Top view shows the size of the dent, pretty deep ,

Above picture shows large dent in the side of the plastic “painted “ bumper bar, Early Kia people mover., the paint is falling off most of the bumper,

Please note, the dent was caused in a collision with another car of the same colour, plastic to plastic only, no gouging or scraping,

Two blue arrows shows the main 2 dents I will heat and massage with little pressure from behind, first,

Red arrows show the outside of the dent with the front crease line at almost right angles, ( some white milky stress line showing to my eye, but not so much seen in this picture, ),

Green arrow on right shows plastic clip with metal screw has been ripped out of the guard and is misaligned, new guys please note, a point to remember is if plastic clip has been ripped out of the “ HOLE” in a metal guard as above, the hole in the metal guard is likely to be opened up or deformed, please note, the metal hole in the guard should be repaired before reassembly, or the plastic clip will not tighten up, just spin,

1326, ‘’’’’

Left red arrow shows a length of flat bar bent around to form a quick handle shape, so I can rest my knee and apply pressure on the “ dent tool “,
( please note this type of dent tool is just quickly bent flat bar, to suit the position of the dent, and still maintaining best points of leverage, ect,)

So the dent tools I refer to in this method are just quickly hand bent dent tools of flat bar, please note I often change or bend the dent tool flat bar to suit a different dent positions, and pre - angle the tool head to suit the angle of the rear of the plastic bumper, while still maintaining the same pivot points on the wheel,

Small yellow arrow shows and please note the length of flat bar between the handle and pivot point bend against the tyre, (the edge of the front tyre is a great adjustable pivot point, just turn the steering wheel to place the tyre in correct position.)

Longer yellow arrow shows flat bar “then” extends up in between the inner and outer guard up to and behind the yellow circle area, from the pivot point on the tyre.

( white arrow shows point between main dent, and pivot point on tyre, I find using a measuring tape gets the length of the tool very close to right, most of the time, so I measure up the outside dent to the tyre, then measure the dent to handle, and a length for a suitable handle, then mark it on the bar, then bend it into a tool., )

The head is positioned approximately behind the dent and pressure is applied by my knee, ( please note, the flat bar is a bit flexible under my knee, and usually flexes too much to bend cold plastic,at this point.

Two red arrows on left show the nozzle tip of a hot air gun, which is set at high, to simulate me or,

Anyone using a good hot air / hair dryer, with no temperature control at all. Just pretty hot,

New guys please note, If I were to use my variable temperature heat gun at a much lower temperature, actually “set “ well below plastic melting temps, the whole job would take a lot longer to warm up, but the plastic could not over heat and burnt or melt,

Blue arrow shows distance between gun and plastic, and directed at the deepest part of the dent, (yellow circle), this is warming up or keeping the whole area warm,

I will keep heating the plastic, (around the yellow ring area, )until the plastic is hot enough to “feel soft “ under the “slight” pressure used by either 1 handed, or one knee leverage pivoted off the tyre or 2 handed “free hand” ( without leverage ),, the focus is waiting to see a “ slightly” bulging impression of the dent tool “protruding “out ( and from behind ) small areas of soft warm/hot plastic,

I apply pressure from behind the plastic bumper., then the tool can be slid a few inches across and on the side or against the tyre, back and forth, still maintaining some pressure, resulting in small areas of plastic being “massaged” back into shape, , from behind, then I moved a few inches forward to the dent crease just in front of the first one, and most of %60-70 of the dent popped out, at which point I re – bent the dent tool, to reach up to the front creases or fracture lines, ( joined red arrows) and massaged and heated , with some slight pressure on the tool and good control of the heat, I always keep the heat quickly moving around the area I am working , and as soon as the hole dent area is soft, and the dent is %90 popped, then I let the area cool while still massaging from behind with the tool, using 2 hands on the dent tool, ( and no pivot point leverage on the tyre ) I can see the tool face impression pressing out of the still warm/hot plastic dent area surface with only a little pressure, and

I finish by raking or dragging ( massaging )the head “face” against the hot plastic using 2 hands from the front of the dent to the rear, my line of thought is I am massaging and ironing out the soft plastic, (( so that the plastic will remember and take the clean lines and shape it was pressed or injected new in the factory,))) please note, I try to gently massage the soft plastic into roughly the right shape, and let it cool right down with a free standing fan blowing max cold air over it, , at which time it returns to the original factory shape “on its own”, while the area is cooling, I usually have to reheat and massage small areas like low or high spots, or a straight lines with a low spot a few times,

My observations and line of thought is like metal in panel beating ect, plastic can be heated and cooled to cause it to shrink back to it original injection moulded shape, and using the dent tool makes it much quicker,

1332, dent removal tools.

Above picture shows dent tools, again red arrow is the handle end seen in above picture, and at the first bend , black arrows show I re bent the flat bar to get more length to reach the plastic creases in the front of the dent,

Black arrow on right shows the tool “face “, that actually rubs and massages the hot soft plastic dents from behind, ( the metal head surface is sanded smooth with no sharp edges that might cut through the soft hot plastic from behind, )and the tool is used to determine when the plastic is hot enough,

Yellow and purple arrows show another tool I made for other dents, flat bar is flat bar, ready to bend into a tool. ?.

Above picture shows white arrow points at a slight “low spot” in or on the outstanding bumper line, highlighted by the kink in the red line, within the circle, and blue lines show uneven surface where the main crease and stretch damage lines were,

Above picture shows small white circle above middle blue arrow, the white circle is the inside of a metal pipe, sketched in the picture in gray colour,, which I used to massage and roll over the lumpy uneven surface, I started rolling cold and got a friend to wave the hot air gun over this area, until I could feel the plastic go soft under the thin 1” pipe, and stopped the heat, and keep rolling and massaging the area until it cooled, the plastic is hot/ warm enough to stay soft enough to roll the pipe around and over the lumpy uneven surface, 4-6 times,with very little pressure, the lumps ironed or rolled out smooth, and waited for it to cool. remembering the plastic cover is only thin,

Blue arrows show straight line,

(Please note, to be clear, I lever the bulk of the dented area, as I heat around those areas, until the dent has popped out and I have a good basic bumper shape in the dent area, at which point I stop heating the plastic, and using the tool face free hand, that is with 2 hands, ( and not using pivot point or touching the tyre.) I can see the tool face impression protruding out of the hot soft plastic ( 1/8“) “moving “ over a small hand size heated dent area, “and I iron out / massage out all dent creases and or stretch lines”, (milky colour), ).and leaving it to cool and contact.

Above picture shows the 5% left to fix, my line of thought is I hate bog on plastic because if there is future damage in this area of the bumper, the bog will cracked or ripped open or off, to me that looks bad, especially when most dents of this type are common, my line of thought is concerning easy repairs like this, no bog should be used at all,

Yellow circle shows the area where most of the creasing and stretching and microscopic cracking damaged occurred, please note the milky colour has turned black, most of the blue paint fell off in the impact, also show the outstanding edge parallel with the white line inside the yellow circle is not quite right yet, and area in lower half of yellow circle still requires a few minutes “more” heating and shrinking work, perhaps 15 minutes in total,

Please note and see the only area of bumper I actually massaged the heated plastic on or from the outside of the bar, is within the circle, the rest of the dent was massaged from behind with the dent tool, and no flaking blue paint fell off, and not enough heat was applied to burn any paint off,

Red arrows show the top of the bar and headlights need some more work and realignment, Heating and rolling,
The rest of the white line show the leading edge of the bar is almost perfectly straight along the previous dent area, also showing I was able to “ heat and cool / shrink “ plastic back to the original injection moulded shape,

Above picture shows nearly ready for sanding and paint, no bog,

Points I remember,

1, never hold any heat source directly on plastic, for any time, keep it moving around the area which is being worked, or you will melt a hole in the bumper, quickly,

2, keep feeling how soft the plastic is with the dent tool and once the plastic is or has become just slightly soft and workable, “remove the heat source” and massage the area with the dent tool until it takes shape and cools shrinks / contracts down,

Please note, I reheated this main bumper dent once, and massaged it into shape until cooled, and then reheated small areas with slight imperfections another 4 times, please note, once the or as the soft plastic cools it hardens too much to massage, I usually use a fan on a stand to cool the all the bar down quickly, only when it is cold or cool can you see the true imperfections or low or high spots.

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Subscribed. I'd like to know how to restore dents.

That would be my pleasure Sir. I hope I can help.

Working on a few dents right now, will post asap.

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Jules,

Sorry, actually restoring dents does not take that long, it is the telling of “how to do it “ is the hard part, and which picture where, ??. again sorry for taking so long to respond,

So, I knew where to find a nice dent damaged front bar to play with, it is a Toyota Corolla 1998 something,

And the story is this bar was being thrown away, and insurance is paying around $200+ for a new black unpainted bar, and the painter is charging $300+ to paint it,
So far, all I have done is heat and massage, cool and shrink the areas where I can see creasing and stretching, a lot of plastic also gets crushed, or impacted, BUT with a hot air gun on maximum heat, using the dent tool to make sure the plastic is just soft and not anywhere near melting, and being able to massage from behind, this is what happens.

Please note this blue bar has a colour coded plastic film covering the black plastic, this is not painted with a paint like Urethane, the plastic colour film is perhaps a human hair thickness thick, meaning the bar can only be heated and massaged from the back, which is mostly all black plastic anyway,

Above picture shows the bar has been in a major accident, it ran into the rear of another car, please note the white line shows the bar has been dented from a concave shape to convex, or t=boned,

White arrow and circle show major crease and impact point to start heat and massaging first,

Black circle shows this area is also impacted and mayor dent or impacted in,

Red arrow indicates major “tear” or “rip”, on the top of the bar, (show you soon, )

Red circle on right shows the original shape of grill,

Red circle on left shows where the tail pipe from the other car sliced through the grill, twisted and bent,

Above picture shows about 10 mins of actual heating and massaging this area, ( not including cooling time,)

White arrow shows the milky colour in the crease is not fully coloured blue, but back in the correct shape,

Black circle shows the whole area is basically back to shape, ( this area is covered by the number plate, anyway, but will also be further heated , massaged, cooled , and shrunk back to factory specs,

White lines show the bar is back to factory curve and shape, ,
Red circle shows plastic damaged by exhaust is shaping up to,

Above picture shows another before picture showing.

Red arrow points to massive rip in the plastic caused at the time of impact,

Pink arrows show high and low areas damage, distortion, due to impact,

Red and green circles’ show impact and crush area,

Red arrow shows hair line crack and the fact it IS not yet welded, just 1 tac.

Single centre pink arrow shows high point but will be smoothed out when it is welded,

Red and green circle areas previously impacted areas are restored, except for a few minor marks, at this stage I had heated and massaged ( with the dent tool ) the areas already shown and let it cool 2 times, but I will do all the same previously damaged areas again at least once more, ,

Above picture shows where a tail pipe punched through the plastic cover,

Pink arrows show impact distortion damage, or flat surface with high and low spots,

Yellow arrows show crease and stretch milky colour,

3 red arrows show 3 separate parts of the grill,

Black x show where 2 parts of the grill are attached,

Purple line shows bent grill,

135o

Above picture shows after heating the 3 broken grill components and massaging by hand, they returned to their correct position after cooling, ready for welding,

Opps , above picture,
Black arrow show hole gouged out of the bar, could have happened earlier,
Green arrow shows gouge,
Blue arrows show plastic shaving.

Above picture please note,

Yellow arrows show middle grill bar is slightly twisted,

Red arrow shows the mounting hole is split in half due to impact,

Black and red lines show slight over all grill distortion, also white or cloudy lines at grill panel cross sections indicate impact shock affected most joins, I will tack the 3 broken grill sections together, then weld and brace around the centre mount hole, and then heat and hand massage the grill sections from the centre out, ensuring all milky or white crease lines turn black or blue, again all done from the black of the grill.

Any questions or suggestions on making this information understandable by everyone, ?
Back soon,

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
ino,uno,soweno. This type of visual conversation is just about an insult to the convergence of this type of subject matter... In other words lighten up on your conversations or I will be forced to change just how you post here in the garage...

There is no need to go into that much detail about something so simple...

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Bartman

“In other words lighten up on your conversations”.

Could you “re-configure” my above posts and pictures, and information and show me what you are talking about, please. Teach me,

And if restoring plastic bar cover dents “is so simple “, (as you say), you must have a lot of experience, so please join in and share all your experience. (With pictures), I am always open to learning new and better ways to do automotive plastics,

Also, please link me to all posts you have posted on plastic bumper cover restoration, you know, dents, cracks, damage, modifications, anything interesting on auto plastics would be great.

Thankyou.

Feb 24, 2001
ino,uno,soweno. This type of visual conversation is just about an insult to the convergence of this type of subject matter... In other words lighten up on your conversations or I will be forced to change just how you post here in the garage...

There is no need to go into that much detail about something so simple...

I don't think English is his native language so probably just doing the best he can. Just a guess.

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Bruno.

“probably just doing the best he can. Just a guess.”
You are right, I am doing the best I can to help.

Please explain in English, “ lighten up on conversation”,
Less,?.
Or more funny. ?
Or Less informative?,
Or less pictures,?.

Jules and others asked , I'd like to know how to restore dents.
I am just trying to help.

And if it so simple, ??. why can’t I find this specific method on u-tube.. ? or anywhere else on the internet, ?.or on this forum. I know how and show how to do it, and I think anyone who thinks it is simple, could not and has not done it anyway,

I would have posted a link of someone else doing this method, if I could find any,

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Last dented bar for this thread is a Ford,

Just easier to do off the car, The tear has opened more since removing the bar off the car,

First , Quick heat and massage.popped it.

back soon,

Last edited:

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013

Please note.

Following 4 pictures I am looking any imperfections, dents, between “a new bar “ and the old damaged bar being restored. Marking any dents with tape,

So far I am just restoring the “dents”, and finding more impact cracks, no welding yet, the new bar has just been painted in 2 pak Urethane, no clear coat yet, and I think I will only hand brush paint damaged and weld cracks areas on the bar after restoring back to shape,

This Toyota bar is 2 piece, bumper and lower skirt, only the upper bumper was damaged, but the panel beater ordered both upper and lower because it was easier for him to paint, around $550 all up. As opposed to DIY restoring it, for nothing except a little time so far, few dollars for touch up paint, using a $60 hot air gun,

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Subscribed. I'd like to know how to restore dents.

That would be my pleasure Sir. I hope I can help.

Working on a few dents right now, will post asap.

My wife is very good at restoring dents in my car. I get them fixed and she restores the part back to its dented shape.

Sorry Bartman... I feel kind of responsible for this. :(

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
My wife is very good at restoring dents in my car. I get them fixed and she restores the part back to its dented shape.

( I laughed so hard, ) sorry, it was just the way you said that, excellent.
Back on subject,

I would suggest it is a fact of everyone’s life that dents can happen to you, dents = allot stress concerning who did it?, And who pays for it, and a lot of time without the car and allot of money, fact is in 2014, we cannot live together without bumper denting each other, too much,
Or ,

No stress at all knowing you can diy same day restoration, if required, cheap and easy, and pretty clean “fun “compared to removing a gear box,, even if you’re not a mechanical person, plastic bumpers restoration and crack welding is very easy to do,

The good news here is, if you learn how to restore dents, you can teach your wife to restore her own dents, which is a good idea because I think ladies would be suited to plastic bumper restoration, as brute force is not required, and ladies have allot more experience with small brush painting, doing their nails, yes, I am just dreaming. Ha.

Another upside is when and if you do as we all do, and make a mistake, and dent someone’s plastic bumper by accident, or in an accident, you can say to the other person, “ I did it “ and I will restore it , let’s make a time, cheap and easy to restore, no stress at all. Just a bit of extra paint, Even though you have equal damage on your own car, $500 x 2 = $1000, saved not lost to dumb bad luck.
Provided the dent damage is only to the plastic bumper “cover “.

Another upside is once you have done your first successful restoration, you will have to own a $60 -100 hot air gun, ( e-bay ) a small $60 orbital vibrating sander, variable speed, some spray tins, or even a $150 air- brush spray painting unit, some sand paper , which is all you need to do 6 dent restorations, or fix any mistakes you make on your first attempt.
Down side is with most dents comes a crack or split, so welding cracks is part of restoring most dents, but, you already have the heating / welding gun, and scrap welding filler rods are easy to find, so, no further cost required to do more welding, ,

I highly recommend the method I use to weld bumper cracks, works great for me every time, please note I really do like a nice well aligned and flat tight crack, less sanding and no auto body filler required at all,

Above picture,
Black arrows show very closely aligned edges, only a fine gap and molten weld extruded during this welding method, a slight sand off of all old paint and ready for new paint, actually provided the method is followed, it is near impossible to stuff it up,

Blue arrows show point of impact, slight crease and stretching damage, cracked paint surface, please note, I popped the larger dent, then welded the crack to support and make it easier to heat and massage this small area, which has a crease and is stretched, a point I note here is I know if I heat and massage the creased and stretched areas, and allow to cool back to its original shape, by “it self”, if it does not, it is because I not heat and massage as much as I thought I did,

There are also the possibilities of removing and restoring the plastic bar cover DIY, and then taking the bar to a paint shop for professional painting, at least you save a few hundred for a new bar, and ensure the plastic welding is done and done correctly, and maybe $80-$150 to have the corner of the bar sprayed, done professionally,

Above picture shows faultless colour match, the car already shows good cleaning and polishing habits, so that will be good and keep good for many years.

kitatech

Jan 7, 2013
My neighbor's Corolla got hit and the repair shop say it doesn't need replacing....the question I'd have for NON-DIYers is can you trust a shop to repair the bumper plastic cover to have the structural integrity of a new one...

Polishing a bumper, removing the "other" bumper's residue, isn't all that difficult in minor scrapes...but removing and realigning it is critical...and necessary for structural integrity....the repair shop wasn't going to replace this bumper, just repaint it as they claim that the "hit" didn't crack the plastic beneath the paint, so they said...but were going to charge $1000 to just paint and reinstall the bumper....

I cleaned it up for my neighbor anyway...

yhy8.jpg

....and once cleaned up you can see that the impact did more than crack the paint...

5j2n.jpg

and the aligning will require more than just replacement as seen above around the grill, and below around the light...

32ym.jpg

There's more than meets the uncritical eye....if I were taking it to a shop I'd want it replaced...period!

Last edited:

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Will your neighbor be paying out of his own pocket, ?. or covered by insurance,?

If so what might be his deductible or excess he will have to pay, ?

Please,

kitatech

Jan 7, 2013
Will your neighbor be paying out of his own pocket, ?. or covered by insurance,?

If so what might be his deductible or excess he will have to pay, ?

Please,

Expense is not relevant to my concern...neither is cosmetics...I have only one issue, and that is the structural integrity of a cracked bumper cover.

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Look... ino,uno,soweno. I am tired of this sort of crap here in the garage... To much is to much so either quit it or I will force you to quit it ok...?

DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN..

AT Moderator
Bartman39

Last edited by a moderator:

kitatech

Jan 7, 2013
That's great for DIYers but....how would anyone know when bringing it to a shop that the bumper cracks (that appear to be there in black at the corner of the headlight), and NOT JUST THE PAINT has been "repaired" other than inspecting it at each stage, which my neighbor won't do...and other than replacing the bumper...which in this case of my neighbor's Corolla ain't gonna happen...

...you don't...you just have to trust the shop...oh well....

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Pictures are useless without more mspaint arrows.

Please add more arrows and color codes so that I know what you're talking about.

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
I agree Kitateck, and I really “do” feel the pain and hear what you say for anyone in your neighbour’s position, helpless, hopeless,

And in the case of ain’t gonna and won’t do, I feel your frustration too. I have been there done that,

But my suggestion is maybe you and your neighbors might try this as the last attempt to turn the situation around, , with just a little diy , please note, do not have to remove the bar, at all, no removing anything, bolt or clips and no hairdryer or heat gun required, defiantly no dent rubbing tools Required.

Should take about 40 mins max to get a positive result,

Are you interested, ? . ( smiley face )

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Pictures are useless without more mspaint arrows.

Please add more arrows and color codes so that I know what you're talking about.

Sorry Ferzerp,
I am guessing you are referring to the odd shaped white tub, Ihave added more arrows to the odd shape tub pictures, will show you when posting segment on plastic welding,

Also, I am having trouble uploading pictures through photo bucket, I will be contacting them asap, I have had a post ready for a few days, but I cannot get pictures up.

Back asap.

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Starting previous post again, this segment is focused on how I heat and massaged the above Outback rear bar cover after removing it, ,
1367,view from the outside,

1372,Veiw from inside,

Above picture,

Red lines show vaguely the extent of dent contours, from behind the bumper cover.
Yellow arrows show milky coloured crease stretch lines, micro cracking damage,
Please note, blue arrows show distance between crack gap.

Above picture,
Again, Yellow arrows again show crease stretch microscopic cracking damage,
Red arrow shows 1 and 1/4” heat gun nozzle,
Black arrow shows panel beaters hammer wooden handle, (dent rubbing tool )which I used to feel around until the plastic “ is just “ soft enough, remove the heat source and in a few seconds massaged and rubbed the cooling plastic with the end of the wood handle until the dent mostly popped out, and it is taking good shape, only using the wooden handle, not the metal hammer end.

Above picture,
Red arrows show the small area I heated and massaged and rubbed with the wooden handle end,
White arrows, please note the white crease line has been melted, and turned black in color, meaning the micro gaps in between the micro cracks, have closed, and the damaged cracked plastic has melted, and recycled, I let this section cool down, it will return to manufactures shape by itself as it cools, that is the nature of plastic when recycling.
Yellow arrow shows remaining white crease line, which I could not reach with the wooden handle, so I heated it up and used the end of a 1/2'”dia, long extension bar, and the rounded end of a large eating fork as tools, and got right up to corner and along the edge with the smooth rounded handle end of a large eating fork ,
Blue lines show intended direction of massaging,
Please note I recommend working small areas quickly and allow GOOD cool down time, and I recommend cooling down by fan, not cold water,

Above picture,
White arrows again show stretch and micro cracked plastic lines have been melted and change colour back to black in color, ,
Blue arrows show hot air gun reduction ¼” ( welding nozzle is fitted to heat and massage along the crack edge), Please note, do not use the open 1 and ¼” heating nozzle to heat plastic near cracks or edges, or they will melt pretty quick. Also please do not try to weld without the smaller to tiny welding nozzles,
Red arrows show area to be heated and rubbed, ready to be welded,

Segment 2 welding, asap.

Last edited:

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Segment 2, welding,

Above picture shows,
4 black arrows on right show a welding filler rod, around 3/8”wide x 1/16” thick, the width of the filler rod will determine the diameter of the weld penetration,
( to make filler welding rods, I sometimes sand the paint off a section of scrap bumper, and use tin snips to cut off these welding filler rods /strips/to width, (same similar “plastic )car, recycled damaged scrap bumper cover.)

2 yellow arrows show where I heated the surface of the back of the bumper, , and by twisting the rod in my fingers, with a little pressure I was able to gently ( twist ) drill through the melting plastic surface down to the paint level, and then still twisting I backfill the hole with twisting molten plastic to ensure maximum and equal weld penetration into both sides of the crack,

Please note, each “spot twist weld” is cooled and “aligned” before the next spot twist weld is heated again, each spot twist weld takes about 4 seconds to heat up, 6 seconds to melt twist drill and back fill and build up the weld, 15 seconds to cool down, (with electric fan on the back painted side of the bar, ) this crack had about 12 individual spot twist welds, all welded together,

Please note, each twist spot weld x 12 is back filled and built up with molten plastic, after each weld is completed, I remove the hot air gun from the weld, left hand, the filler rod is snipped short with a pair of cold scissors , as the weld begins to cool, I use a large hand size chunk of metal like a flat large padlock, , nice and cold,(in my left hand) and flat, to hold on and against both painted edges of the crack on the painted outside of the bumper cover, the cold metal lock quickly cools the aligned crack edges which I suggest helps cools the plastic from the painted side through the plastic thickness to the inside, resulting in a near perfect crack surface alignment every time.

Then with my right hand inside the bumper, I use the rounded plastic handle of a

screw driver to compress the cooling molten twist spot weld on the inside, to roughly 3 times the original cover thickness, as seen, resulting in a near perfect crack surface alignment every time.

Please note, my experience is this method is the quickest method for welding with near perfect alignment of lengthily cracks in basically fairly thin wall plastic bumper covers, , also eliminates the need for applying and sanding filler , Again please note, my focus is on not requiring any filler at all in the bumper, saving time in filler application and sanding, and saving money by not actually buying any filler at all,

To be clear here ,not using any body filler except welded plastic, which applies to filling a 2” to 3” hole punch or gouged out of the bar, ,
Also at this point a most important factor, is to focus on the temperature of the plastic weld, itself, remembering that different plastic combinations ( different types of plastic have different melting temperatures, but the thing I remember is most have nearly a 10 degree variable of the word “melting “, or 10 degrees between melting and boiling, and boiling plastic will quickly burn, and the or parts of the weld will have the strength of dry biscuit, so please note, it is almost impossible to weld plastic “correctly “ with a heat source with no control over temperature, ( hair dryer, naked flame,)

I recommend and use a $60-$100 adjustable temperature control hot air gun, adjust air flow if possible,
The big advantage here is to weld any plastic, the heat range can be increased slowly until the plastic is soft to the touch, using a finger nail or dent tool, then slightly increasing the temperature control until the plastic surface turns and shows a wet and shinny appearance, then further slight increases in temperature will result wet plastic running, then melt down and burn to biscuit, with smoking, so my point is weld plastic at low melting temperatures, and quick,

Please note, this method is to adjust the temperature “up “slowly until the filler rod and bumper cover surface are soft to the touch, but not really wet in appearance, until the filler rod makes contact, and continual twisting of the filler rod causes wet looking molten plastic to extrude under slight pressure and twisting action on the rod, with good control,

My line of thought is the heat nozzle and hot air flow should be directed at the base of the “filler rod once the weld pool area is “just “wet looking and molten,( not so much on the two edges of the crack, or on the surface of the cover,) I basically keep the heat pointed at the base of the rod “above” the twisting melt pool, and the heat is transferred down and in to the twisting weld pool, in both side of the crack, but not allowing the heat to spread out from the weld pool. Before compression and cooling,

Blue arrows, show where molten plastic squeezed out when I compressed the spot weld,

3 red arrows, show 3 compressed twisted spot welds, each one was cooled, and checked for alignment separately, and each weld strength can be checked 12 times after each has cooled, all welded together,

3 red circles, give indication of the “weld” surface area coverage only “over the crack”, and having someone to hold the cold metal hand size pad lock against the painted surface meant the weld penetrated to the paint layer, and easiest method to get maximum penetration on every spot weld, maximum alignment can be achieved,
White arrows, show previous milky colour crease stretched line was absorbed and melted back into line and correct colour,

Green arrows, show remaining milky coloured crease and stretch damage, I did not get any further pictures, but the 12 spot welds all lined up welded together, and look neat enough considering it will never be seen again, or until next time the bar is removed, ,

I then heated the crease damage and massaged it back to original contours, and the painter took the bar and locked it away for painting, and no more pictures of the complete weld, sorry,

However, back asap.

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
However, here is a completed weld,

I used a pair of tin snips to cut a crack, 10” long. Short snip marks can be seen,
Blue arrow shows a rope I used to close the gap, red arrow shows both ends of the crack,

Pink arrows show quick shallow spot welds, basically on the inside surface, just small quick tac welds green arrow shows “tin sniped (cut )” welding filler rods, 1/8” wide up to ½” wide from scrap,
1431kkll

Sorry if these 6 pictures turns out a little small, but these are the ones with arrows,

No1, Picture on left , Again pink arrows show quick spot and aligning welds, yellow arrow shows 1 completed weld, blue arrow shows half completed twist spot weld, with filler rod laying down for the picture,

No2, picture, yellow arrows 6 completed twist spot welds, and the padlock and screw driver handle I use to compress and align the weld as it cools, please note weld is 2-3 times the thickness of the original thickness plastic, and a good ½ wide. Atlest ¼ “ penetration on each side of the crack,

No3, picture yellow arrows shows 9 welds,

No4, picture shows the whole crack welded with around 18 separate heated and cooled twist spot welds, I have twisted and tried to tear the welded section and all honest truth is I do not think the original crack will re-crack being 3 times thicker, , I have not seen a problem related to this plastic welding method since I started using this method in 1996 on bumper covers, at which time most other methods of welding plastic showed regular flaws, I also have the option of sanding the total length of the weld to remove half of or almost all the built up level of compressed weld, the 3 times thick strip of weld restricts the flexibility of the plastic a few inches either side of the weld strip, if for any reason other than looking good all signs of the extra thickness weld could be sanded away easy,,

No5, picture shows on the paint side a near perfect FLAT surface alignment,no peeling, %99 no distortion,

Absolutly NO,
“warp the heck out of the plastic and damage local paint quite a bit”.
As can be seen, there is no damage to the paint “at all”, which is handy if you want to just fill the gap between the paint 2 edges with paint , sand and buff and polish to virtually not visible at all, or sand the surrounding area and repaint the end of the bumper, or sand the whole bar and respray the whole bar, using correct plastic primer,
No6, picture shows the lower half of the panel has been just lightly and evenly sanded, until the paint was sanded off, no plastic required sanding, no body filler required, except for a few tiny air bubble in the surface,

Upper half of the picture shows sanding to remove paint close to the crack to show where the crack is deeper and barely visible.
Please note this shallow line is longer and deeper, 1/16” deep. Presents 2 options,

1, fill it with a specific “ plastic filler “ by specific “ plastic filler” I mean a filler that bonds with plastic with the same flexibility, fibreglass ect is not that flexible.

2, spot twist weld and cool, very small 1/8” spot welds on the painted side to fill any gaps left from the crack, and sand until filled with plastic weld, and sand to a flat surface, I do not buy any plastic filler preferring to spot weld fill with scrap plastic, and sand of the top of the weld, no extra cost,

Please note, the upper patchy sanded panel has more gaps in the surface than the sanded surface which a nearly none, also please note, and the reason is while welding the sanded panel, I had another person holding the big padlock behind each weld, enabling me to gently force the filler rod through to the under surface/side of the paint, which was against the metal lock, ensuring maximum penetration, I twist drill until I see the underside of the paint, through the melt pool, which results in less imperfections, so having a friend to hold a cold hunk of metal behind the weld, results in a better weld, and less air bubble imperfection on the paint side,
Back asap.

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
Ok, I am hoping at least a few of you guys are interested in this plastic welding method, I am also hoping you might have an interest in fabricating plastic consuls, scoops, reinforcing frequent plastic cracking areas, odd shape electrical boxes, air ducting, plastic draws or boxes custom made to slid and fit under the front seats, or behind the seats, customize and enlarge original inner glove box areas to increase their capacity, and fabricating by welding plastic into anything thing you can imagine,
Or a useful shape you cannot imagine like this,

Please note, red lines show weld lines all over the whole weird shape, plastic is around ½” thick, around 12 different pieces of flat and curved scrap sections welded together and can be seen in the picture, this is a “off cut” Prototype, , it is fabricated to be strong, and a little on the heavy side, it could be a tool box bolted under a tray, shaped so the tool box fills in every evadible space possible, it could be upside down or on its side,
My next point is this weird shape??. box or capsule in red circle, was fabricated from the same x2 large plastic ( upside down ) fork lift tub under it , shown by blue arrows.

The large tube is old and scratched and somewhat dirty, also looking closely, 2 yellow arrow in bottom left shows that the top rim has a rounded lip, and also there are 2 tubes,( upside down, ) cost $10 scrap each, a few cracks and splits, but a good cheap source of plastic for custom fabrication ½” flat and rolled sheet, after all surfaces are electric sanded and jig sawed into required sizes, , , combined with a $60-$100 plastic welding gun, please note very cheap do it yourself, no further cost to fabricate any shape, all welding filler rods are sourced from the scrap forklift bin, actually any number of smaller plastic bins can be used as materials, different thickness, colours,

Yellow arrows in red circle show the rounded lip rim section has been welded in to the design, of the smaller prototype tub.,
Red arrows show weld lines,
So what I am suggesting is if you want a hot air gun to restore any current and further bumper damage, there are plenty more uses for a good hot air gun,

ino uno soweno

Jun 7, 2013
1440ll

|For anyone interested, please note my line of thought is any slight damage to a plastic bumper cover can and usually does cause misalignment elsewhere,
Above picture red arrows show the bar under the guard, and blue arrows show the bar is twisted out of alignment, black arrows show difference in gap under the light,
1442pp

Red arrows show bigger gap then blue arrows other side, yellow arrows show a very slight but significant impact mark, black arrows specifically shows only damage on the front of the car, except for a few light scratches,

To restore this bar to its original alignment I would suggest removing the number plate, and using a hot air gun and a bent length of flat bar dent tool in the same or similar method as the Kia dent restoration above,

Next choice is to remove a few bolts and or clips, lay the bar on a blanket and heat and massage from behind, please note, removing the bar “ cover”. takes 10 mins , but heating and massaging is easier and quicker, and gives the opportunity to have a good look around behind the bar for any other damage, ,

Please note it pays big time if you warm up the whole bumper cover before trying to twist and slid the dent tool behind the bar cover,

Also please note on a hot day any plastic bumper cover is soft and flexible, so warming up just a little more with a hot air gun makes the plastic cover soft and bigger due to heat expansion, making it easy to twist and slid the dent tool face up to and behind the slightly marked impact mark, to massage behind there, that is the first heat and massage impact marked area on the top edge, let it cool, then cut a few inches off the dent tool face to align it “behind “ the area seen in the damage dent to the “number plate”, heat and massage both small areas and allow to cool, and check alignment by pressing with your thumb and palm along and from one mud guard to the other, if it did not re-align perfectly with each flex, I would re – heat and massage again, for maybe a bit longer, and perhaps the cover is or maybe bolted to the guard on the wheel arch, if so the bolt may need to be loosen, the bar aligned and re-tighten the bolt,

Above picture shows the damage and size of the dent in the number plate, a similar dent and damage to plastic should also be found behind the number plate. My line of thought is the number plate was dented by a tyre, so the black marks should come off with petrol or thinners, or a rubbing /cutting compound for paint, I think restoring the number plate back to original is critical, in making this older very white Camry in excellent condition and low mileage look like new again, for the quick and easy way, I just suggest paying $40 for new plates, as his old plate at the rear reflected the age of the car,
Back asap.