Khronos - 3d Portability Initiative (Vulkan, DX12, Metal)

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
In theory, this is good news, but, going through "emulation" layers could have some serious performance hits. Going the (auto?) conversion route is better, but, we will see how that goes.

In any case, I see this as being years away.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This seems kind of pointless since most developers use an engine like Unity3D, Unreal, Lumberyard, etc. that includes separate code paths for the APIs without adding an extra abstraction layer.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
This seems kind of pointless since most developers use an engine like Unity3D, Unreal, Lumberyard, etc. that includes separate code paths for the APIs without adding an extra abstraction layer.
Just click on their link,AAA gaming is the last thing on their mind.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Just click on their link,AAA gaming is the last thing on their mind.
I did read their page, but the only "industry demand" they point to is (possibly) for use with WebGL.

Lumberyard is royalty-free and Unity3D is not confined to AAA game use. Also, standard "game" engines are being used in education and for corporate training rather than reinventing the wheel.

But I'll agree that there might be a non-gaming niche or ten where this might, maybe, be useful. Perhaps for medical imaging or data visualization software?