keyboards on laptops

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Most of the keyboards I've tried on various laptops & chromebooks are pretty much crap. I grew up using a manual typewriter, followed by a huge, clickey IBM keyboard.

I can usually type 60 to 70 words per minute on a nice keyboard that has good key travel, but so many keyboards barely move when you try to type on them. I find it extremely annoying.

Anyone else absolutely hate using laptop keyboards because of this?

I wish that laptops had user replaceable (removeable) keyboard sections so that we could customize them as desired. I've even been tempted to put together my own "briefcase computer" because of this.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
They've all switched to these mere buttons on boards these days. Even a poor Dell laptop keyboard from vintage 2006 is better than keyboards now.
I mean, maybe the Asus Expertbook has something with actual feedback for typing.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
If you think laptop keyboards are bad, then how about people now seemingly trying to do their stuff on a cell phone touch screen (micro keyboard).

Ya, probably the top two most important things (along with size & battery life)
in a laptop are display and keyboard.

As it goes, the older T series Lenovos aren't that bad (relatively).

As for me, if Ive gotta do some serious typing, then I immediately jump to one of my old Fujitsu Model FKB 4725 series KBs.

In your case, instead of trying to replace the laptop physical keyboard, just find an external KB that you can live with. For example, I have a couple older USB clickity-es. For example, one of the older model USB BTC 6100S multi-media KBs aint too bad plus they are able to fit in the laptop carry bag.
Jus say'n

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It's to make them thinner and lighter weight. I hate laptop keyboards but after using one a while, I get used to them again. I only use a laptop when I need portability so it seems like a fair tradeoff to me. I never need/want to try to get much work done on one, though I do take a cordless mouse with it because I dislike touchpads even more.

I agree with C1, just take along your choice of keyboard to use with it. Ironically for portability's sake I'd still want that to be very slim and lightweight, though on my primary use desktop PC I've moved back to using a mechanical kbd. I just wouldn't want to take it along, instead something thin enough to shoehorn into the same laptop case that I'd use anyway.