Keyboard & Mouse Lag After OC

Collider

Jan 20, 2008
I overclocked a x5650 on a PC with specs in the signature.

I had to bump up the voltage slightly and change BLK for a modest 3.9GHz OC.

One problem I have is that the keyboard and mouse started to lag occasionally. Its barely noticeable but an annoyance when typing a lot.

I've been scratching my head on this one for a while. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

thanks!

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
To troubleshoot this is going to take some time and trouble. So many things can cause lag, from unstable OC, MB ports to poor PDC latency and bad drivers to variable human temporal perception correlation.

Some possible useful steps:

Have you confirmed that it's not related to the OC?
Test at stock settings.
Change keyboard/mouse
Change to other ports
Run DPC latency tests.
Is issue more perceivable with specific apps? Browsers are not to be trusted - they were created for infotainment purposes only, not productivity.
Anti-malware scans.
Zen meditation retreat?
Type less? ;-)
New batteries for the wireless kb/mouse ;-)

Good luck and happy troubleshooting.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Set QPI mode to Slow and see if it resolves the issue. Your bclk may be too high (not a great board for overclocking).

Collider

Jan 20, 2008
Quick update.

I've lowered the BLK from 195 to 190 and so far no lag. Will monitor during use for the next week to come to see if it stays stable.

Thanks.

Collider

Jan 20, 2008
So after all this time it turns out it were keyboard drivers from MS. I had some drivers installed on top from Logitech. What made the situation so confusing is that I recently overclocked as well and attributed the issue to the OC.

In any case I'm able to push my OC higher, now testing in the 4.1 Ghz ranges and no kb/mouse lag what's so ever.

Going to try to squeeze as much as I can out of this Xeon now :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So after all this time it turns out it were keyboard drivers from MS. I had some drivers installed on top from Logitech. What made the situation so confusing is that I recently overclocked as well and attributed the issue to the OC.

In any case I'm able to push my OC higher, now testing in the 4.1 Ghz ranges and no kb/mouse lag what's so ever.

Going to try to squeeze as much as I can out of this Xeon now :)

So, to clarify, which drivers are "bad" for overclocking, and which ones are "good"? Logitech or MS?