Keyboard and Mouse for Gaming: Any suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
i use a small 14.5in CM storm quick fire keyboard and i love it, i paid around 80$ for it.

As for a mouse i use a normal optical M$ mouse and it does the job.

Last edited:

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
I love my Logitech G9.

Adjustable profiles and sensitivity on the mouse (3 profiles, up to 5 sensitivity settings), adjustable weight, and two grips (claw for RTS and wide grip).

Weakest part of the mouse is the scroll wheel click, if that is important to you, I would probably look somewhere else.

Hidden Hippo

Aug 2, 2006
I'm tempted by a new mouse. My Copperhead very occasionally double clicks the right click, which is a pain when I use toggle zoom in BF3. I'm tempted by the G400 - looks comfy (and is on sale for £20 at the moment) and I never use 2000 dpi on my Copperhead, let along 3600. My only gripe is it isn't weight adjustable. How much real world difference do people find this makes?

stylez777

Mar 5, 2012
I love my Logitech G9.

+1 for this

I own a G9x for 3 years now (give or take) best mouse I ever owned.

As for Keyboard I am in the same boat as you been looking for a new one for a while and cannot find one that I like. My last Keyboard was an MX5500 (not a gaming board at all) but was the most comfortable board to type on and rest my hand on while playing a game.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
You don't have to spend that kind of money. This is what I use:

L23-6632-main.jpg

and

41FAS985MFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They work fine. Save your money for something else that actually matters.

Maybe for slow mousers it doesn't matter. But for me, gaming with a mouse with less DPI than my G9 would be unbearable. I keep it at the max 2400 most of the time. With a lesser mouse that would mean increasing speed past 1:1. At work I use a regular mouse with the Windows speed cranked all the way up. I actually have problems positioning the cursor precisely when I'm working on maps etc, so a G9 would be good for work too.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
a good and cheap keyboard is the sidewinder x4 (its going to be my first gaming keyboard) and a cheap razer mouse

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
In my mind, N-key rollover is requisite to call something a "gaming" keyboard. Sidewinder X4 is the cheapest good option and leaves enough budget to choose a mouse pretty freely. For mouse I'd look at Razer Abyssus first.

Gavinni

May 16, 2011
On the G400, does the scroll wheel have left and right functions? And if so, can you program them?

It does not, I wasn't aware of that when I purchased it, ended up taking it back. Would be the perfect mouse for me otherwise. Having to keep my dying G5 until logitech comes out with something similar. The G500 is too large.

nine9s

May 24, 2010
It does not, I wasn't aware of that when I purchased it, ended up taking it back. Would be the perfect mouse for me otherwise. Having to keep my dying G5 until logitech comes out with something similar. The G500 is too large.

Same and I want buttons in the middle that I can program, like the G5's DPI ones, not side of top like G500.

Scaroza

Apr 12, 2012
Keyboard wise, the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 and x6 are great keyboards. The X4, unsurprisingly, is the cheaper of the two and has back lighting, lots of macro keys and is well made and then the X6 has a few more features added on. I personally use the X6 and recommend it fully! :)

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
are all mechanical keyboards the same if it uses same parts?

So, if one keyboard uses Cherry reds, would it basically feel the same as another brand using cherry reds?

I've found some cheap brands that uses cherry red and wonder if I should give mechanical keyboard a try.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
are all mechanical keyboards the same if it uses same parts?

So, if one keyboard uses Cherry reds, would it basically feel the same as another brand using cherry reds?

I've found some cheap brands that uses cherry red and wonder if I should give mechanical keyboard a try.
The feel will be mostly the same. Cheap doesn't always mean worse, either.

Two keyboards which both use Cherry reds might have different stabilizers under large keys like enter and space, so those keys may feel flimsier on one board and more solid on another board. The weight of the whole board and effectiveness of anti-slip feet / coating also affect the feel, but I don't think it's a big deal. Then there is key layout, and quality of key label printing.

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
Here's an option for something you might want to consider down the line:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=390404

It's a Belkin n52te Speed Gamepad that you use instead of a keyboard. I've been using one for about 4 years. I started using it when I bought a laptop and, even though I bought a laptop with a full-sized keyboard, I couldn't get used it so I looked around and found that lots of players prefer using this. And they are rugged. I'm not the kindest player and I had an overload of static buildup a couple of years ago and blew out the lights and it still works fine sans the lights. Just a thought.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
You don't have to spend that kind of money. This is what I use:

L23-6632-main.jpg

and

41FAS985MFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They work fine. Save your money for something else that actually matters.

I dominated people in FPS/RTS games for years with that exact same mouse and a much worse keyboard :thumbsup:

Gaming mice are overhyped.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
You asked, I answered. Not sure what the beef is with Belkin but the products I've used from them (the pad, power strips) have all worked fine. To each their own, right?

does it make it any better that razer put its branding on it now?
razer-nostromo-main3.jpg

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.221675100

Im personally interested as well, as i need something with good wrist support. It also makes gaming with a K+B from the couch do-able, so im actually really interested.

toriados

Apr 23, 2012
I would Suggest Levetron KB588U Mechanical Keyboard Has been my recent favorite Keyboard. The ability to Reprogram any Key on the board makes it amazing for me in Game. I also love the fact that the Number pad can be removed and moved to the left Side.

Mouse i would Suggest the Razer Deathadder. Solid Gaming mouse not exceptionally overpriced... Have owned the MX518 in the past good mouse, but prefer my deathadder.