Key and Peele

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Well, I'm fairly certain this show is not intended for 11 and 14 year olds so.....

maybe you should consider letting your kids watch something more age appropriate?

I don't get it when parents complain about their kids seeing certain things on shows that aren't meant for them.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
eb6.jpg

The worst part of this thread is learning that bshole has offspring.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Well, I'm fairly certain this show is not intended for 11 and 14 year olds so.....

maybe you should consider letting your kids watch something more age appropriate?

I don't get it when parents complain about their kids seeing certain things on shows that aren't meant for them.

Get real, if I "ban" it, they will simply watch it behind my back. Banning does not work and you know it. I would rather watch it with them and have them be honest about what they are watching than teach them to be deceitful. The show is quite hilarious actually. It simply bothers me that they show people physically smoking pot. That is ok for movies and such, but for a TV show that is just plain wrong.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Get real, if I "ban" it, they will simply watch it behind my back. Banning does not work and you know it. I would rather watch it with them and have them be honest about what they are watching than teach them to be deceitful. The show is quite hilarious actually. It simply bothers me that they show people physically smoking pot. That is ok for movies and such, but for a TV show that is just plain wrong.

Why is it wrong? Something freedom something...

I'd be more concerned about cigarettes or alcohol being consumed on TV. And I'm not concerned about either of those things.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just tell the kids, those guys are stoners so they smoke pot, Tell them they cant smoke pot under your roof, because you do not approve of it. you can explain that while it is not harmfull/dangerous, it can influence them to do stupid things and might hurt their performance in school. They can experiment with it all they want in college.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Just tell the kids, those guys are stoners so they smoke pot, Tell them they cant smoke pot under your roof, because you do not approve of it. you can explain that while it is not harmfull/dangerous, it can influence them to do stupid things and might hurt their performance in school. They can experiment with it all they want in college.

One of my big fears in life is having a stoner kid living in the basement playing video games for the rest of my life. My next door neighbor has a kid doing exactly that.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
On of my big fears in life is having a stoner kid living in the basement playing video games for the rest of my life. My next door neighbor has a kid doing exactly that.

I understand. My little brother was a stoner for a long time, I was very upset/disappointed for many years ... he did finally grow out of it (still a stoner, but now a productive one rather than a useless slacker)...

Anyhow Its hard to find the balance to show disapproval without creating "forbidden fruit" type obsession....

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Anyhow Its hard to find the balance to show disapproval without creating "forbidden fruit" type obsession....

Yea I did basically everything my parents told me not do, just because they told me not to do it. Somethings I never would have tried save my parents telling me not to do it.

I am definitely not that kind of parent. I don't tell my kids if God is real or not, I don't speak for or against any political issue, etc..... all that shit I am leaving to them to figure out on their own. My parents went the indoctrination route and I am going in the completely opposite direction.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
One of my big fears in life is having a stoner kid living in the basement playing video games for the rest of my life. My next door neighbor has a kid doing exactly that.

That's probably because his/her parents didn't "limit their kid's freedom". :hmm:

I know it sucks having to be a parent and not your child's bestest buddy/friend.

:thumbsup:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Is this for real? That 70s show had the protagonists getting high in a basement and that was network tv a decade ago.

Pot is legal in some places in America OP. Just pretend they are in Denver if it bugs you so much.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Um yes it is. I have not once seen a person smoke pot on a TV sketch comedy show. It has never happened before. Somewhere along the line it must have been legalized or something.

SNL was doing the same thing years ago. It's old hat.

Do you get upset when a show has someone drinking wine, beer or liquor? that is still 'doing drugs'.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
I am not one of the douche parents that limits his kids' freedoms. I let them pretty much do whatever the heck they want as long it doesn't harm anybody. The only line I have right now is the drug one. I don't want them to throw their lives away on that shit.

So you are not a douche parent that enforces what their 11 and 14 year old children watch. But you are the douche parent that complains about a show made for a mature audience (18+) depicting the use of marijuana. That's like letting my children watch Saw 3 and then complaining that the movie was too graphic.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I can't believe how dumb this thread is.

My kid saw someone get shot on a TV show once. Why do they depict murder like it's no big deal? If only there was something I could do about it, like be a parent and put it into context for him or limit what he watches if I don't agree with it. Oh well, I'm helpless in the situation, I guess he's going to end up a murderer.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
And you realize that can develop into a LIFETIME of resentment of the parent by the child right? Trying to stop kids from doing things makes them want to do it more.

I just hate this show putting it into my kid's head in the first place. Right now my kids think drugs are UNCOOL. Shows like this shatter that perception.
Dude@@!! Light one up....inhale....hold it and exhale......now relax!!

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Did you know that pot can give you anxiety attacks and create generalized anxiety disorders that last a lifetime? That is a true fact. All it takes is a genetic susceptibility and then access to the drug. That genetic susceptibility is present in my family. I have already explained this to my kids. The problem is that kids are afraid of nothing until it is too late. So far they appear disdainful of drugs, but I do worry. Shows like this are counter-productive and destructive. They have no business displaying pot usage on TV like that.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Did you know that pot can give you anxiety attacks and create generalized anxiety disorders that last a lifetime? That is a true fact. All it takes is a genetic susceptibility and then access to the drug. That genetic susceptibility is present in my family. I have already explained this to my kids. The problem is that kids are afraid of nothing until it is too late. So far they appear disdainful of drugs, but I do worry. Shows like this are counter-productive and destructive. They have no business displaying pot usage on TV like that.

Did you know that eating unhealthy foods can lead to health problems that can last a lifetime? That is a true fact. All it takes is a genetic susceptibility and then access to unhealthy food/drink. That genetic susceptibility is present in my family. I have already explained this to my son. The problem is that kids are afraid of nothing until it is too late. So far he appears disdainful of poor eating habits, but I do worry. Shows on the Food Network are counter-productive and destructive. They have no business displaying how to cook delicious looking but unhealthy foods on TV like that.

Or alcohol. Or tobacco. Or caffeine. Or anything.