Keeping my s939 system a while longer

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
While performance might only be average these days from a 2.6GHz s939 X2/1xx, considering I've had mine since the Opteron 165 was pretty much first available, its been a long lasting and very worthy purchase. And to think its still largely GPU limited...a truly amazing platform.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: lightzout
When I pulled the stock heatsink off it actually pulled out the cpu so I may be fubared there. *crossing fingers*

You don't pull heatsinks off, you twist them off, then you don't have that problem.;)

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
That lonely foxconn motherboard on Newegg is decent. I just got one recently to revive a single core Opteron I had lying around and plan on using it for a WHS server.

Triton67

Aug 6, 2007
My kid bro has an "outdated" rig, s939 Sandy 4000+, 7800GTX 256MB, 2GB RAM DDR400, not TOO shabby, but.....I paid him a visit, installed one left-over Opteron 165 and oc'd it ~2,5GHz. Next plan in upgrade, is he gets my 8800GTS 640MB, since I'm almost done with it...new games coming and they get slower each month @ 1680x1050 (awaiting 9800GTS or similar...)

Bro has 19" TFT with 1280x1024..that 8800GTS GPU + dual core 2,5GHz, and he again has a rig that will play well :) ...(if I had 19" I wouldn't bother the gpu change)

hennethannun

Jun 25, 2005
twisting off the hs/f is the way to go, but if you try it while the thermal compound is cold and stiff you may well end up pulling out the cpu anyway and twisting/breaking some of the pins (at least on a s939 or other PGA setups. I don't think it's an issue with LGA sockets).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: lightzout
It may be a while until my c2d system is revived so I am going to throw my 939 back together. Eventually, I am hoping to male a silent htpc from this platform since it always ran so cool. But for now I will try the 8800 GTS so I can frag again. Big hug for the 939! I hope it likes the zalman hsf I just installed. I couldnt get off the backplate so I am using the stock plate instead. Felt like MSI glued it on. When I pulled the stock heatsink off it actually pulled out the cpu so I may be fubared there. *crossing fingers*

next time heat it up with a cpu burn proggie, then shut down and immediately remove it by giving it a few twists side to side first.

It's rare someone actually used an adhesive, but I have seen that happen.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: supastar1568
this thread makes we want to go home and hug my 939 setup

Me too. And for shame, I keep lusting after the new penryn quads that'll be here any time..

Guess I'll focus on a video card, PSU, and monitor upgrade first. Maybe it'll all last me another 1.5 years, when crazy fast quads will be dirt cheap.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Hmm, well even in SP campaign I get really bad framerates, with my x2 @ 2.6ghz. Could it be the ram, running at 333mhz speed, 4x512mb btw. I'm talking a fairly large map, but with only 2 players, and perhaps 500 units each ? Videocard is a 8800GTS 320mb, @ 1680*1050. I've tried lots of different settings too and a lower resolution to rule out the videocard as well.

As for WiC, yeah it's very playable I must grant you that, but it could be smoother with a faster CPU, because my FPS drop pretty bad running the built in benchmark.

I've been playing on my opty 175 @ 2.6, with 2x1GB and 8800GTS 640, 1280x1024. I get campaign FPS between 30-60fps (usually between 45-60, vsync enabled, 2xAA, high detail). I haven't tried the multi yet, since I'm still kind of learning the game.

Is your OC prime95 stable? Do you get 3dmark scores within a normal range for your hardware? I wonder how much performance difference your 2T command rate makes (4x512). It just doesn't seem right.

lightzout

Nov 1, 2004
Thanks for the heat and twist tips. It makes perfect sense. It was out of the case already but luckily I was pulling straight up and it went right back in. I did bend 3 pins once on this very pc I am using now (trusty A7N8X-e) and actually successfully bent them back with using a magnifying glass and surgical tools. I really hope she boots. I didn't realize how much I would miss TF2.

Nov 26, 2005
If I do any upgrading on my machine, it'll be a new vid/GPU card. ...kinda waiting to see how nVidia does with their GPUs coming in March. I am looking for 1 good GPU rather than SLi or Crossfire. That'll help me keep my s939 system a while longer :)

vanvock

Jan 1, 2005
Originally posted by: nerp
Having a girlfriend is great. It's a way to keep older systems alive as well as a backup place for spare jumpers, wires, cables and a ram stick for troubleshooting every once in a while.

PLUS, when you build a new computer for yourself, you can distract her from the fact that you're spendign all that money by constantly talking about how she's getting a new build. :D

:D

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: vanvock
Having a girlfriend is great. It's a way to keep older systems alive as well as a backup place for spare jumpers, wires, cables and a ram stick for troubleshooting every once in a while.

<PLUS, when you build a new computer for yourself, you can distract her from the fact that you're spendign all that money by constantly talking about how she's getting a new build. :D

hehe, wish that same statement was true when you're married. i tried to pull the wool over my wife's eye when parts started coming in for upgrades to my box, but the first things she asked was "where'd the money come from?" lol.

I'm looking at two things to keep my 939 system in tip top shape. new video card, (8800gt probably) and three new monitors. :D (in case you're wondering "why three?" one of thems got to keep the wife happy) :D

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I'll be married in about a year or so. Maybe I should upgrade sooner than later! :D

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Ahahaha, yes, upgrade just before you get married, because it'll take some time before you've got enough credit, on your bankaccount, AND with your wife, to build something new again :D

vanvock

Jan 1, 2005
Originally posted by: jpbelauskas
Originally posted by: vanvock

<<PLUS, when you build a new computer for yourself, you can distract her from the fact that you're spendign all that money by constantly talking about how she's getting a new build. :D

hehe, wish that same statement was true when you're married. i tried to pull the wool over my wife's eye when parts started coming in for upgrades to my box, but the first things she asked was "where'd the money come from?" lol.

I'm looking at two things to keep my 939 system in tip top shape. new video card, (8800gt probably) and three new monitors. :D (in case you're wondering "why three?" one of thems got to keep the wife happy) :D

I'm married & it's actually a useful tactic if you play it right.:cool: