Keeping 2K Server from trying to replicate?

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I have 1 2k server (main DC), we will call it server1 for now.

There is a 2nd server (server2) that was installed as a backup domain controller but a consultant came in and wiped it out because it was to be used as a standalone for another purpose, yet he named it server2 still and used the same IP address.

Now I'm getting errors on server2 saying server1 keeps trying to replicate the AD info to it, yet it isn't a DC, does anyone know the best way to tell server1 to stop trying to replicate to server2?

thanks,
Daniel

Saltin

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
That Consultant is bona-fide bonehead.
Firstly, it is always wise to have more than one DC in a WIN2k environment. If you go with one, you are risking the domain.
Secondly, when one removes a DC from the domain, you do not simply "wipe it out". It must be DCPROMO'd (de-commissioned). If this is not done, then the DC is never removed from the Active Directory, this causes the situation you are experiencing. It's messy, and it's complicated by the fact that the servername has not changed (server2).

My advice to you is to call this "consultant" back and have him pay a visit to the office pro-bono. He needs to be held accountable for his mistakes. The problem is, he is obviously a rookie. He should have known enough to follow proper procedure when removing a DC from the domain.

Anyhow, here is a link to the article you will need to repair this situation. It requires a bit of familiarity with Active Directory. If you can't do it yourself, find someone who can.

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks a lot for the info, I'll look into it now. They actually called me at home when the guy was in wiping the new server and I started freaking out and was told "its just the way it has to be done", ugh.