Kazaa countersues

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: tarheelmm
Linked
Wonder how many people use Kazaa?
The original lawsuit claimed KaZaA BV provides free access to copyrighted music and films to 21 million users across the nation.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Linked

3,923,647 users online, sharing 755,498,573 files (5,804,800 GB)

What it says at the bottom of my client

Confused

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
I hope they lose their ass. The program is just a funnel for skript kiddies to transfer virus's and trojan horse's. I have seen so many computers come into my shop with virus's and they didn't get them till kazaa was loaded on the PC. Kazaa puts a bot on the PC and opens the port for file sharing, a deffinent security risk.

If I am wrong, tell me. If there is a service that does not pose such security risks, enlighten me.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Confused
Linked

3,923,647 users online, sharing 755,498,573 files (5,804,800 GB)

What it says at the bottom of my client

Confused

that's just how many are on now ;)

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
I hope they lose their ass. The program is just a funnel for skript kiddies to transfer virus's and trojan horse's. I have seen so many computers come into my shop with virus's and they didn't get them till kazaa was loaded on the PC. Kazaa puts a bot on the PC and opens the port for file sharing, a deffinent security risk.

If I am wrong, tell me. If there is a service that does not pose such security risks, enlighten me.

I have gotten 1 virus (actually, I think it was a trojan) and I've been using Kazaa and all the clones since they came out. This one virus was self-inflicted. It's embedded in a MAME program that I wanted to run. I knew I could screw up my system, but I needed to play the Mortal Kombat arcade version. People that get multiple viruses are just not taking the proper precautions. (I have NAV, a hardware firewall (router), and a software firewall).

I am glad that there is a countersuit. Although there are a lot of people that abuse the system, there are a lot of us that don't. I download mostly tv shows, some movies, and mp3s. I also buy A LOT more DVD's and CD's than I should. My wall is overflowing with DVDs and CD's that I haven't even watched yet. I am even buying seasons of TV shows that I have awesome quality divx files. I am a little bit more picky when I buy a CD. Most of the new stuff out there is crap and not worth the cost.

Down with the RIAA!!

Jan 31, 2002

You're wrong. KaZaa puts spyware, not a "bot". KaZaa Lite puts NOTHING.

I think of script virii and such as the "natural selection" of the computer world. If you're dumb enough to open an untrusted attachment named "Avril Lavigne Nude OMGG!!!!.jpg.EXE.VBS" - consider that the equivalent of being eaten by a cougar on the street.

4,282,710 users online, sharing 818,494,043 files (6,320,144 GB)

Estimation on when the 1 billion mark is hit on files? :)

- M4H

scauffiel

Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire<brI think of script virii and such as the "natural selection" of the computer world. If you're dumb enough to open an untrusted attachment named "Avril Lavigne Nude OMGG!!!!.jpg.EXE.VBS" - consider that the equivalent of being eaten by a cougar on the street.
- M4H

Damn dude - that's nearly signature material right there. :)

S.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
sweet bout time
screw RIAA, its about time someone stood up to them in court

In a statement, the Recording Industry Association of America called Sharman's argument "laughable," likening it to a thief "who plunders Fort Knox and then claims she's
not responsible because Fort Knox declined to buy her second-rate security system."
this quote has to be one of the dumbest things i've read in awhile

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

Sure it poses a risk, just as much as having unprotected sex, you are after all dl'ing crap from people that you hope are not giving you a nice suprise. I use a router, av and firewall and have still gotten viruses, thankfully I've been able to hose them before they do any damage, half of the software on Kazaa in my opinion is spawned from major software companies intentionally putting virus's in bogus files, of course that's just my conspiracy theory.

The simplest way to protect yourself is NOT TO DOWNLOAD and buy retail or be understand how to deal with these things.

Kazaa lite has no spyware, don't know about this *bot* that you mention.
:cool:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Oakenfold

Sure it poses a risk, just as much as having unprotected sex, you are after all dl'ing crap from people that you hope are not giving you a nice suprise. I use a router, av and firewall and have still gotten viruses, thankfully I've been able to hose them before they do any damage, half of the software on Kazaa in my opinion is spawned from major software companies intentionally putting virus's in bogus files, of course that's just my conspiracy theory.

The simplest way to protect yourself is NOT TO DOWNLOAD and buy retail or be understand how to deal with these things.

Kazaa Lite doesn't use a bot, spyware or any of the other imaginary hazards that the truly paranoid whine about whenever they take a break from lining their hats with tinfoil. Kazaa can't do forced uploads and it can't run scripts on your machine. Any virus transferred from a Kazza user to you happens because you initiated the download. Quite frankly, if you're dumb enough to download any executable file from Kazaa, much less run it, you'd be doing the world a favor by getting a virus that trashes your machine, getting rid of people like that only improves the gene pool. Music files like .mp3 can't transmit a virus. Now on the other hand if you're trolling through Kazaa looking for a warez version of Photoshop to download and you come across a file named Photoshop_full_registered_download_now.exe and it's only 46k, RUN!!!

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dabuddha
sweet bout time
screw RIAA, its about time someone stood up to them in court

In a statement, the Recording Industry Association of America called Sharman's argument "laughable," likening it to a thief "who plunders Fort Knox and then claims she's
not responsible because Fort Knox declined to buy her second-rate security system."
this quote has to be one of the dumbest things i've read in awhile

I was about to quote the same @*@# thing man. That quote is what is laughable. Also with the RIAA trying to hold ISP's accountable.....its just like holding a State's roadways accountable for the drug traffic or even....pirated DVD's that are hauled around in billy bob's van.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

You're wrong, like people have said the only way for kazaa to "give" you a virus is if you ask for one. Frankly, you should be happy it's bringing you all these customers :) Survival of the fittest ;)

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: Oakenfold

Kazaa Lite doesn't use a bot, spyware or any of the other imaginary hazards that the truly paranoid whine about whenever they take a break from lining their hats with tinfoil. Kazaa can't do forced uploads and it can't run scripts on your machine. Any virus transferred from a Kazza user to you happens because you initiated the download. Quite frankly, if you're dumb enough to download any executable file from Kazaa, much less run it, you'd be doing the world a favor by getting a virus that trashes your machine, getting rid of people like that only improves the gene pool. Music files like .mp3 can't transmit a virus. Now on the other hand if you're trolling through Kazaa looking for a warez version of Photoshop to download and you come across a file named Photoshop_full_registered_download_now.exe and it's only 46k, RUN!!!

Agreed.
Ya know what stinks though, you go to a lan party enable file sharing and guess what you get the ick!
Learned my lesson on that one.
:D

Photoshop_full_registered_download_now.exe and it's only 46k, RUN!!!

LOL!

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999

I agree with what the other members have said about KazaaLite and the regular version of Kazaa. Remember these are probably the same people that arent that computer savy and will open every single e-mail attachment :p.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm with Tripleshot. I hope Kazaa rots in cyber hell. Nothing but a funnel for viruses, worms, trojan horses and outright theft of intellectual property. :|

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Too bad they didn't file a realistic countersuit. I doubt the courts will overturn US copyright law no matter how outdated it might be shown to be. Congress is granted explicit domain over copyright law in the US Constitution and that is where indicatives to change it should be focused. Were I them I would have gone with the argument that I am providing nothing more than a medium whereby users can exchange digital data and it is not my responsibility to determine whether they are sending word documents or mp3 that from my perspective it is all nothing more than binary data.

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999

When you say my shop, I assume you own a computer repair type business? If so, what does it matter if kazaa installs spyware or virrus or whatever the hell, as long as you're getting business?
Thats how I would look at it. :D

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
There is some truth to both of lawsuits being filed....yes free for all downloading breaks many copyright laws that should be upheld, and in some ways can hurt the recording/motion picture industry. On the other side, the industries themselves commit a great deal of "copyright misuse, monopolization, and deceptive acts and practices." If one of the two sides (unlimited file sharing or the "industry") was to be given full power of the media, it would cause detrimental harm to the production of the movies and music we all love. Unfortunately those in congress/supreme court/etc. who end up making the ruling on this don't seem to understand this concept, and will most likely rule in favor of the media conglomerates. Boths sides are going to have to work together to revamp the music/movie distribution system, but I have yet to hear of any new technology or ideas that would solve the problem. Creative collective thinking involving both sides is what is needed to fix the problem, not lawsuit after lawsuit.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
The main reason why I do like file sharing types is because they do generally have music that is live that will never be sold in retail stores. Most of this crap released retail today sux anyhow.:D

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
ooo, attack the monopoly power of the distribution system, nice.