Kaveri and 4K support

wiyosaya

Jan 8, 2014
Does anyone know whether the A10-7850K will support 4K over HDMI?

I am in the process of buying the components for an HTPC build, and I have been specifically waiting for the 7850K. However, while there is considerable talk of the speeds of the part, how many CPU / GPU cores, cache, HUMA, GCN, and various other aspects of the part, I have found no mention of whether it is capable of 4K output over HDMI.

What I have found is speculation that the graphics capability of the 7850K will be very similar to that of the HD7750 - and that part does support 4K output, and that some FM2+ MB manufacturers state that 4K over HDMI is dependent on having an FM2+ APU, however, to me at least, that does not guarantee that any particular FM2+ APU actually supports 4K.

Personally, I have found it very difficult to determine the maximum resolution that any APU supports from the information on the AMD site. I am rather frustrated about that, and the conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether AMD is deliberately hiding this spec for some reason. Since most posts rave about the graphics capability of APUs in comparison to their Intel counterparts, I find that a bit surprising.

Thanks.

Moved from CPUs to Video
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
HDMI 2.0 just recently got finalized. And I am sure Kaveri design specs was locked way before. So you have to settle with 4K at 30hz with 1.4.

Also I am not sure if you also need board support.

With brand new TVs its already a nightmare. Some 4K TVs can be upgraded via firmware. Buts its abit like the famous wifi drafts. Who made the right bets on how the final spec would be.

And to make matters worse, then the HDMI organization doesnt really allow you to market what versions you support. Only that its HDMI and what features it got. However 4K support can quickly be misleading there.

Last edited:

wiyosaya

Jan 8, 2014
Thank you for your helpful reply.

Is it not always the case that when you post a question to a board, you find the answer a few seconds later?? :oops:

In the rumor mill around the beginning of December, I found this that specifically states that Kaveri will support 4K Ultra HD Video - assuming the rumor mill is correct.

From what I understand, only the FM2+ socket boards are capable of supporting 4K output over HDMI - that may be because Kaveri is an FM2+ socket part and FM2 parts do not support 4K.

In any event, it seems possible that I will be able to upgrade to Carrizo, the Kaveri successor as there are suggestions that it will also be an FM2+ part.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Not sure if this helps, but I have a FM2+ motherboard (MSI) and on the back of the box in big letters it states supports 4K output over HDMI

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
From what I understand, only the FM2+ socket boards are capable of supporting 4K output over HDMI - that may be because Kaveri is an FM2+ socket part and FM2 parts do not support 4K.

Not sure if this helps, but I have a FM2+ motherboard (MSI) and on the back of the box in big letters it states supports 4K output over HDMI

From what I'm hearing you are both correct. Kaveri will support 4K over HDMI (4K@30Hz), the older Trinity/Richland parts do not. Even if used in an FM2+ board.

(as a side note some FM2 boards DO support 4K (2160p) over Displayport)

FM2+ might be backwards compatible with FM2 APUs but you get none of the new features, because they're integrated in the APU. Therefore the features have -almost- nothing to do with what board you're using.

It gets confusing right quick... :whiste:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Yep.

For 4K.
HDMI 1.4=30Hz.
Displayport 1.2=60hz.

And Kaveri actually supports 4K resolution like Haswell.

In any event, it seems possible that I will be able to upgrade to Carrizo, the Kaveri successor as there are suggestions that it will also be an FM2+ part.

You might (most likely) still need a new board for HDMI 2.0.

Last edited:

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Just like today's consoles (AMD Jaguar based PS4 & XBOX 180), although Kaveri may support the 4K resolution it probably doesn't really have enough horsepower to push pixels / game at that resolution.

Watching YouTube 4K is about all you can hope for with these first generation 4K parts.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
Just like today's consoles (AMD Jaguar based PS4 & XBOX 180), although Kaveri may support the 4K resolution it probably doesn't really have enough horsepower to push pixels / game at that resolution.

Watching YouTube 4K is about all you can hope for with these first generation 4K parts.

Considering it is an HTPC box, that's probably all he cares bout :)

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
So I just took a peak at my Motherboard Box.

It states the following:

Bult_ar_org.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Graphics[/FONT]

• 1 x VGA port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, 24bpp
• 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600@60Hz, 24bpp/ 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, 24bpp
• 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24Hz, 36bpp*/ 3840x2160@30Hz, 36bpp*/ 1920x1200@120Hz, 36bpp and 1920x1200@60Hz, 36bpp
* Only support when using an FM2+ APU

wiyosaya

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks for all the replies. It is helpful to sort out the various capabilities in advance.

As an HTPC build, this machine will be tasked with videos, music, DVD and BR playback, OTA DVR, and a few other things, but not games, and most of the tasks will not run simultaneously, except, perhaps, the OTA DVR with other tasks.

I have another machine that I use for games.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
And to make matters worse, then the HDMI organization doesnt really allow you to market what versions you support. Only that its HDMI and what features it got. However 4K support can quickly be misleading there.

this is why you should use displayport. these meta organizations do nothing but promote business and cause problems for every one else. they support the corruption of government business and life.

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
this is why you should use displayport. these meta organizations do nothing but promote business and cause problems for every one else. they support the corruption of government business and life.

I still don't know why displayport isn't the standard, it's a wonderful connection and no one I know (well, no one but a friend of mine who's a PC repair technician) knows or cares about it.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I still don't know why displayport isn't the standard, it's a wonderful connection and no one I know (well, no one but a friend of mine who's a PC repair technician) knows or cares about it.

It has an annoying connector. HDMI is easier to plug in :thumbsup:

Mar 9, 2013

Display port doesn't support voice from the same cable as HDMI. Also, higher resolutions are better supported on HDMI with better speed and picture fidelity. That's why display ports are getting obsolete now-a-days.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It has an annoying connector. HDMI is easier to plug in :thumbsup:

Yep, I cant imagine why they thought that DP connector would be good. Its not for nothing its the least used connector. Most screens dont even ship with a DP cable anymore, even tho they got a DP port.

I would pick HDMI 2.0 for a 4K screen over DP any day for those reasons.

Reactions: NTMBK

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Display port doesn't support voice from the same cable as HDMI. Also, higher resolutions are better supported on HDMI with better speed and picture fidelity. That's why display ports are getting obsolete now-a-days.

Displayport 1.2/1.3 has better features (including sound) then HDMI and can support higher resolutions at greater colour depth then HDMI, so I'm not sure where you're getting that info...?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Displayport 1.2/1.3 has better features (including sound) then HDMI and can support higher resolutions at greater colour depth then HDMI, so I'm not sure where you're getting that info...?

HDMI 2.0 is better than DP1.2. DP1.3 is a future thing.

Last edited:

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013

The DP standard does support audio+video, in practice this isn't something that is usually implemented.

Better speed and picture fidelity? What does speed even mean in this context? This sounds like a prelude to a big bag of audio woo.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
HDMI 2.0 is better than DP1.2. DP1.3 is a future thing.

Not really. HDMI 2.0 is only equal to Displayport 1.2 display wise, but HDMI 2.0 has much better audio support (32 vs 8 channels). Displayport 1.3 is expected to bring 8K resolution support, so it'll be "better" then HDMI on the display front...

Saying one is "better" then the other is kind of misleading, they both have different strengths and weaknesses. Each complements the other nicely in fact. I actually prefer full-size Displayport plugs as they have a "proper" mechanical latching mechanism, where standard HDMI plugs tend to get "loose" if there is weight behind them.

wiak

Oct 23, 2007
Not really. HDMI 2.0 is only equal to Displayport 1.2 display wise, but HDMI 2.0 has much better audio support (32 vs 8 channels). Displayport 1.3 is expected to bring 8K resolution support, so it'll be "better" then HDMI on the display front...

Saying one is "better" then the other is kind of misleading, they both have different strengths and weaknesses. Each complements the other nicely in fact. I actually prefer full-size Displayport plugs as they have a "proper" mechanical latching mechanism, where standard HDMI plugs tend to get "loose" if there is weight behind them.
Found this thread on google.
all kavari apus supports 4k@30hz 4:4:4 over HDMI 1.4a, it also has DP 1.2, so 4k@60hz is also supported, and according to news from amd is that there is DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 coming this summer, so the DP port will then support HDMI 4k@60hz
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/desktop/a-series-apu

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Did you really necro just for that?

This^^

Found this thread on google.
all kavari apus supports 4k@30hz 4:4:4 over HDMI 1.4a, it also has DP 1.2, so 4k@60hz is also supported, and according to news from amd is that there is DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 coming this summer, so the DP port will then support HDMI 4k@60hz
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/desktop/a-series-apu

Only one wee problem. FM2+ boards with DP are quite rare. So rare in fact the models can be counted on one hand.

msroadkill612

Oct 28, 2009

hdmi 4096x2160

DP 4096x2160