Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 - A waste of $20

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So as users who frequent this sub-forum have probably seen in the past, I'm not a big fan of how Norton changed their subscription model to (requiring a credit card number, etc).

So I have around 120 days left on my current Norton 360 subscription (10 user license, installed on 9 PCs). So I figured when I saw Newegg having a sale on Kaspersky 2020 (5 licenses) for $20, I figured I'd try it out on one of my least essential PCs and see how it compared. The PC it went on was my laptop.

So after installing it, my Surfshark VPN program became broken. I really wasn't too concerned about this as I figured I just need to manually configure some settings in the firewall. However, it also broke my regular internet connections, so I couldn't even connect to the internet period. I played around in the program for about an hour, and I thought to myself "I've wasted enough time on something that should be so simple to fix", and I uninstalled it. As soon as I rebooted the PC after removing it, both my VPN and regular connections worked as they should (and did).

I highly recommend anyone who see Kaspersky on sale, resist and download a free trial to see if it works for you before sinking any money into it. I know it generally rates among the best for malware/virus protection, but I was not impressed with their product at all.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Is it possible that Surfshark's Kill Switch option was turned on?

-KeithP
No, I never enable the kill switch.

Of course that would have been too easy of a fix. :p

Even when I wasn't using the VPN, it still was blocking my connections for whatever reason. Over the years I've had to make a few manual changes in Norton, but after wasting about an hour on it, I gave up.

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
This is why I always tell people, don't always look at the benchmarks like AV-Comparatives where Kaspersky/Bitdefender come out on top consistenly, but other things like how well does it play with your software, OS, etc..

Even the Kaspersky Antivirius comes with their stupid Secure Connection which is their VPN, they don't ask you, it gets installed automatically. It's just a rebadged Hotspot Shield but I don't like the idea of an AV program installing ANYTHING else. I just want it to scan~

Bitdefender is full of bloatware, software updater, registry cleaner, etc...

I have literally tried all, the only options which are light, have good scanning results, and don't interfere with my internet or other programs is.

Free = Panda Antivirus Free
Paid = I use, VIPRE Antivirus Plus (not even the internet security suite, just the AV)

Reactions: UsandThem

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Finding the right security software that works with your setup and the way you use your computer can be a challenge. What's worse is finding the right setup and then someone sells off your favorite program and then abandons it. Your favorite free AV gets an update and it becomes spammy and scans for stuff you don't care about like privacy and performance, etc. Honestly I find dating easier. :p

• Haha
Reactions: UsandThem

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
Definitely better to use the trial version first before buying. But even then this might happen for any third-party AV during the subscription period, e.g., other software won't work, logins and settings for some websites and browsers aren't saved, a slowdown in performance given updates in the OS, the AV, or both, etc. Also, the price is low for the first year, then goes up after that.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Definitely better to use the trial version first before buying. But even then this might happen for any third-party AV during the subscription period, e.g., other software won't work, logins and settings for some websites and browsers aren't saved, a slowdown in performance given updates in the OS, the AV, or both, etc. Also, the price is low for the first year, then goes up after that.

Yep, most "AV" companies are truly Ferengi cockroaches. They use the same business model as insurance companies and lawyers. They change tactics faster than a chameleon, and are second only to the vermin (virus authors) they profess to "protect" us against.

You have to comb the bushes to find something that will work, knowing that eventually you must begin the task of getting rid of it and get yet another cockroach to replace it.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
I have Bitdefender Free on my other computers, but on my new build after reading this Review, decided to try Kaspersky Security Cloud Free. I like it better than Bitdefender Free. It has more features and works well with my PIA VPN. If you don't want them you can easily uninstall its Password manager and VPN service in Programs and Features.
https://www.kaspersky.com/free-cloud-antivirus

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
After further playing around on my laptop, I think the Kaspersky issue was due to the Surf Shark VPN app/program. I also noticed Surf Shark broke my other VPN apps, and they were unable to connect to their services.

Additionally, whenever I had Surf Shark active (route via option only with my Firefox browser), Amazon's website on my Chrome browser would often not load or have other connection issues. The second I disconnected from Surf Shark, it would work just fine. I had no issues with any other website while connected in that configuration.

I uninstalled Surf Shark, and went back to Proton VPN, and I've had no other issues since then. Surf Shark is less expensive then most of their competition, and I think there is a reason for that. ;)

I have more playing around on the laptop before knowing for sure, and this is why whenever I do this, I stick to one nonessential PC.

Last edited:

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
You can probably also do quick performance tests like running benchmark programs (e.g., the free version of Novabench) before installing AVs to see how they affect the system.

Uninstallers and cleaners from the AV company might be needed for each uninstall.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
So after installing it, my Surfshark VPN program became broken. I really wasn't too concerned about this as I figured I just need to manually configure some settings in the firewall. However, it also broke my regular internet connections, so I couldn't even connect to the internet period. I played around in the program for about an hour, and I thought to myself "I've wasted enough time on something that should be so simple to fix", and I uninstalled it. As soon as I rebooted the PC after removing it, both my VPN and regular connections worked as they should (and did).

The more current versions of Kaspersky installs its own VPN by default which can break firewalls and previously installed VPNs I think. Disabling the VPN solved the problem, the VPN app can also be uninstalled via windows settings.

The bigger problem with Kaspersky imo is that it injects its own scripts in addition to scanning encrypted traffic which breaks/weakens security in addition to being a privacy issue. But there are settings to disable all of that and to add website exclusions for encrypted scanning. I think I still prefer Kaspersky because of the good performance and the extra settings that are useful for manual scanning.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've been testing out Bitdefender Total Security for the past few weeks on two of my PCs, and it's worked perfectly with my new VPN (Proton VPN).

I think most of the issues were related to the Surfshark VPN app/program. It wasn't very good to begin with IMO, so I moved on from it and went with Proton. Proton costs more Surfshark, but I like their service a whole lot better.