Karl Rove possibly tried for perjury?

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: Harvey
Did Rove have access to the names of CIA operatives?

Doubtful.

So who told Rove?
Umm.... George W. Bush has access to that information. So does Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Dennis Feith, Paul Wolfowitz and a bunch of other Whitehouse insiders, none of whom I would trust any further than I can throw you from here.

TLC -- You spit more lies out of more sides of your mouth than anyone I can recall outside of the Whitehouse staff, itself. Reading your posts in this thread, alone, is a cartoon show of contradictions, distractions, diversions and generalized bullsh8.

Go ahead. Call me names again. That's seems to be the only thing all you ever manage to do when you can't stand the reality of being called for what you are. :laugh:
I don't have to call you names Harvey. What you do to yourself in your replies, apparently cluelessly, is more damning and telling than anything anyone could ever call you. You're your own worst enemy.
You don't do yourself any favors either Bubba.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't have to call you names Harvey. What you do to yourself in your replies, apparently cluelessly, is more damning and telling than anything anyone could ever call you. You're your own worst enemy.
Thanks for proving my point once again. :laugh:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: shira
For one, it's only illegal to pass along classified information if the person doing the providing has a security clearance and garnered their information using that clearance in the first place. If you or I had secret information we could pass it along without repercussion (Assuming you hold no clearance at the moment. Mine ended years ago.)

Do you make this stuff as you go along, or are you just horribly misinformed?

From Section 1 of the U.S. Espionage Act of 1917:

(d) whoever, lawfully or unlawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blue print, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defence, wilfully communicates or transmits or attempts to communicate or transmit the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; or
(e) whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blue print, plan, map, model, note, or information, relating to the national defence, through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be list, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000, or by imprisonment for not more than two years, or both.

Note that the above includes those "lawfully or unlawfully having possession".
Erm, here's where I get the stuff I just "make up as I go along :roll: :

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/...hapters/iv/sections/section%5F421.html

Section 421. Protection of identities of certain United States undercover intelligence officers, agents, informants, and sources

(a) Disclosure of information by persons having or having had
access to classified information that identifies covert agent
Whoever, having or having had authorized access to classified
information that identifies a covert agent, intentionally discloses
any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not
authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the
information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the
United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert
agent's intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be
fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than ten years, or
both.
(b) Disclosure of information by persons who learn identity of
covert agents as result of having access to classified
information
Whoever, as a result of having authorized access to classified
information, learns the identify of a covert agent and
intentionally discloses any information identifying such covert
agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified
information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies
such covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative
measures to conceal such covert agent's intelligence relationship
to the United States, shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned
not more than five years, or both.
(c) Disclosure of information by persons in course of pattern of
activities intended to identify and expose covert agents
Whoever, in the course of a pattern of activities intended to
identify and expose covert agents and with reason to believe that
such activities would impair or impede the foreign intelligence
activities of the United States, discloses any information that
identifies an individual as a covert agent to any individual not
authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the
information disclosed so identifies such individual and that the
United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such
individual's classified intelligence relationship to the United
States, shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than
three years, or both.
(d) Imposition of consecutive sentences
A term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be
consecutive to any other sentence of imprisonment.

That's the applicable law.

Now. You were saying something about being misinformed?
Boy, you really DO have a problem with reading comprehension. Your original comment, which is the first quote above, is a claim by you made with respect to classified information in general. You didn't restrict your claim to "information concerning the identifies of covert agents".

My excerpt from the Espionage act addresses revealing classified information in general. Thus, anyone - cleared or otherwise - is liable for prosecution if classified information is knowingly passed. In other words, your claim is false.

YOUR excerpt from Section 421 relates SOLEY to revealing the identities of covert agents. We agree that only cleared persons are prosecutable under Section 421.

Note, however, that if the identity of a covert agent is itself deemed classified information, then revealing that information (even if done by an uncleared person) could be prosecuted under Section 1d of the Espionage act. The potential penalties would be less severe (up to only $10,000 and 2 years imprisonment) than under Section 421, but Section 1d is a much smaller burden of proof for prosecutors.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: moshquerade
word is that Rove didn't even know she was an agent, and still... he didn't name her.

If the basis for Rove's information was a classified briefiing or other classified material, then even the mere mentioning that "Wilson's wife" worked for the CIA would constitute a breach of security. Whether such a breach would constitute a violation of federal law would be up to the prosecutor to decide.

But I think most of us realize that the real "action" with respect to this incident is the follow-on behavior: potential perjury and conpiracy. Bushies ought to be familiar with the concept: Clinton was impeached for perjury related to Monicagate, not for sex with Monica.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: conjur

Doubtful.

So who told Rove?
Umm.... George W. Bush has access to that information. So does Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Dennis Feith, Paul Wolfowitz and a bunch of other Whitehouse insiders, none of whom I would trust any further than I can throw you from here.

TLC -- You spit more lies out of more sides of your mouth than anyone I can recall outside of the Whitehouse staff, itself. Reading your posts in this thread, alone, is a cartoon show of contradictions, distractions, diversions and generalized bullsh8.

Go ahead. Call me names again. That's seems to be the only thing all you ever manage to do when you can't stand the reality of being called for what you are. :laugh:
I think we have our answer??

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0507/11/ip.01.html
CROWLEY: Right. So what we are seeing here it looks like is some pushback from the White House, going, well, wait a minute, first of all, it's not right that the CIA send him. His wife sent him over there. So it could be something...

ISIKOFF: But the problem that people in the White House, Rove among them, may have is how did they know that Valerie Plame, or Wilson's wife worked at the CIA? What we do know is there was a classified State Department report that said this, that was taken by Secretary of State Powell with him on the trip to Africa that President Bush was then on, and many senior White House aides were on.

That classified State Department report appears to have been -- or may well have been the source for the information that Rove and others were then dishing out to reporters
. And if that's the case, there still may be -- we don't know yet, but there still may be an instance where classified information was provided to reporters.

7/13/2003 9:47 PM http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-07-13-bush-africa-voters_x.htm
President Bush's five-nation trip to Africa last week

[...]

Secretary of State Colin Powell, who was with Bush in Africa,

chicken???

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
word is that Rove didn't even know she was an agent, and still... he didn't name her.

Right. Word from Rush, that is.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
word is that Rove didn't even know she was an agent...
Rove stated that Plame worked on WMD issues at the CIA. The exact word in Novak's article was operative. Why he chose that word is an interesting question, but the word, itself, is a term of art within the intelligence community referring to an agent.
... and still... he didn't name her.
Exactly how many wives do you think Ambassador Wilson has? :roll:

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Word from what? FoxNews, the Bush admin, or the rat in your back pocket?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Doubtful.

So who told Rove?

CROWLEY: Right. So what we are seeing here it looks like is some pushback from the White House, going, well, wait a minute, first of all, it's not right that the CIA send him. His wife sent him over there. So it could be something...

ISIKOFF: But the problem that people in the White House, Rove among them, may have is how did they know that Valerie Plame, or Wilson's wife worked at the CIA? What we do know is there was a classified State Department report that said this, that was taken by Secretary of State Powell with him on the trip to Africa that President Bush was then on, and many senior White House aides were on.

That classified State Department report appears to have been -- or may well have been the source for the information that Rove and others were then dishing out to reporters
. And if that's the case, there still may be -- we don't know yet, but there still may be an instance where classified information was provided to reporters.

7/13/2003 9:47 PM http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-07-13-bush-africa-voters_x.htm

[...]

And from the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/politics/05wilson.html?pagewanted=print
The Wilsons have had a low-key social life, friends say. Mr. Wilson said they had attended only one "A-list Washington party," given by Ben Bradlee, the retired Washington Post editor. Before July 2003, some neighbors knew them from the playground only as "Trevor and Samantha's mom and dad."

Their turn in the limelight changed that temporarily, as liberal celebrities embraced them; they were honored in late 2003 at a dinner at the guesthouse of the television producer Norman Lear, with guest list that included Warren Beatty.

The couple's actions in 2002 have become, in the polarized politics of the Iraq war, subject to divergent interpretation. All agree that Mr. Wilson traveled to Niger in February 2002 at the C.I.A.'s request to assess reports that Saddam Hussein had tried to buy uranium there. There the agreement ends.

In the version of his Republican critics, laid out in part by members of the Senate Intelligence Committee last year, Mr. Wilson's trip was a junket orchestrated by his wife. Further, the critics say, Mr. Wilson's findings on the uranium question were equivocal. But as a partisan Democrat, they say, he exploited his minor involvement to attack the president, asserting that Mr. Bush misled the American people by citing the questionable uranium claim in his 2003 State of the Union address.

Mr. Wilson has laid out his own account in interviews and in his memoir, "The Politics of Truth: Inside the Lies That Led to War and Betrayed My Wife's C.I.A. Identity." The 514-page book, which features on the back cover photographs of Mr. Wilson with the first President Bush, President Bill Clinton and Saddam Hussein, has sold 60,000 copies in hardcover, according to the publisher, Carroll & Graf. The just-published paperback includes an 11,000-word essay by Russ Hoyle, an investigative reporter recruited by Carroll & Graf to examine factual disputes raised by the case.

Mr. Wilson said that though his wife wrote a memorandum describing his expertise at the request of a C.I.A. superior, she did not propose him for the Niger trip. He scoffs at the notion that a trip to one of the poorest countries on earth, for which he was paid only his expenses, was some kind of prize.

He has acknowledged he may have misspoken about a few details, like the date he became aware of forged documents purporting to show a uranium sale. But conservatives' attacks on his credibility, he said, are merely an effort to distract Americans from a far graver fact: that the United States went to war on the basis of flimsy, distorted evidence.

"I'm deeply saddened that the debate before the war did not adequately take into consideration issues that a number of us had raised," Mr. Wilson said.

While his wife has shunned publicity, he has become an always-available news media voice, lending the weight of international experience and insider status to criticism of Mr. Bush's conduct of the war.

Despite conservatives' efforts to portray him as a left-wing extremist, he insisted he remained a centrist at heart. But after his tangle with the current administration, he admits "it will be a cold day in hell before I vote for a Republican, even for dog catcher."

Mr. Wilson ended a long interview in a downtown hotel when he realized he was late to pick up the twins. As the first gulf war loomed, and Mr. Wilson was the last American official to meet with Saddam Hussein, his older twins, Joe and Sabrina, were 12 years old, and worried that their father might not make it out of Baghdad to join them in the United States, he said.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Oh?

[...]

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: BBond

Doubtful.

So who told Rove?

[...]

chicken???
Still thriving on conjecture and unproven allegations BBond?

"And if that's the case, there still may be -- we don't know yet,"

Why yes, yes you are.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: montanafan
So you assert that she was not an undercover CIA operative and then quote an article where "anonymous governement officials" state that she was one.
Where did I assert Plame was not an undercover operative?

I assert that the CIA didn't do a very good job of maintaining her cover.

Correct, you did both, but I'm talking about where you quoted Toensing and where you said that Plame did not fit the picture of a "high level covert intelligence operative". Perhaps I misunderstood. It is possible with all the reading I had to do to get caught up in this thread.

There has been some dispute, moreover, about just how secret a secret agent Ms. Wilson was.
"She had a desk job in Langley," said Ms. Toensing, who also signed the supporting brief in the appeals court, referring to the C.I.A.'s headquarters. "When you want someone in deep cover, they don't go back and forth to Langley."
So who is Miller protecting anyway? It wouldn't make any sense if it was Rove.
And apparently Plame was a double super secret desk jockey.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just for grins, what would you call the crime when someone intentionally discloses the name of an official high level U.S. covert intelligence operative and incidenally reveals and shattes intelligence networks that took years, if not decades, to build?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you want me to answer that particular question, or are you talking about Plame, who doesn't seem to fit the picture you're trying to paint above?

quote:

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Oh yeah, bubba. The house of cards is tumbling down.

White House Maintains Silence About Rove

AP - 1 hour, 23 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The White House is suddenly facing damaging evidence that it misled the public by insisting for two years that presidential adviser Karl Rove wasn't involved in leaking the identity of a female CIA officer. President Bush, at an Oval Office photo opportunity Tuesday, was asked directly whether he would fire Rove -- in keeping with a pledge in June, 2004, to dismiss any leakers in the case. The president did not respond. For the second day, White House press secretary Scott McClellan refused to answer questions about Rove.

Do they really believe that silence will make it all go away?

BTW, maybe if "the public" can finally realize Bush misled them on this, they'll figure out the Iraq thing too.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Rove stated that Plame worked on WMD issues at the CIA. The exact word in Novak's article was operative. Why he chose that word is an interesting question, but the word, itself, is a term of art within the intelligence community referring to an agen.

Besides the law states "disclosure of information". It doesn't say "state her name" Unless Wilson lives in Utah that is enough.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Still thriving on distraction, diversion, bluster and name calling, TLC?
Why yes, yes you are.
Why yes, yes, of course you are! Since reality doesn't support you, that's all you've got. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Still thriving on distraction, diversion, bluster and name calling, TLC?
Why yes, yes you are.
Why yes, yes, of course you are! Since reality doesn't support you, that's all you've got. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The chicken will be dining on those words very soon, Harvey.

:)

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Thanks for proving my point once again. :laugh:

What point is that exactly? That anyone who disagrees with you spouts "contradictions, distractions, diversions and generalized bullsh8. "?

Wow.. very insightful.. Thanks for contributing to the forum.

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Rove stated that Plame worked on WMD issues at the CIA. The exact word in Novak's article was operative. Why he chose that word is an interesting question, but the word, itself, is a term of art within the intelligence community referring to an agent.

In the quotes that I have seen, KR only mentioned that Wilson's wife worked at the CIA on WMD
Isikoff writes: "In a brief conversation with Rove, Cooper asked what to make of the flap over Wilson's criticisms. . . . Cooper wrote that Rove offered him a 'big warning' not to 'get too far out on Wilson.' Rove told Cooper that Wilson's trip had not been authorized by 'DCIA' -- CIA Director George Tenet -- or Vice President Dick Cheney. Rather, 'it was, KR said, wilson's wife, who apparently works at the agency on wmd [weapons of mass destruction] issues who authorized the trip.' "

is everyone that works at the CIA an operative?

No doubt KR did not have the exact same conversation with all reporters, but those are conversations that we have not yet seen.

TLC's main point is, I believe, correct. While it may not be beyond KR to attempt this sort of thing, the proof is not there.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Crimson
What point is that exactly? That anyone who disagrees with you spouts "contradictions, distractions, diversions and generalized bullsh8. "?

You're welcome. Thanks for checking the rest of this thread, especially the earliest pages, to find out how many real links and points I posted before posting that.

Is that a foot in your mouth, or are you just glad to see me? :laugh:

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Oh?

[...]

AND:

Oh...and Air Force One phone records were subpoenaed by Fitzgerald (presumably from phone calls made aboard AF1 re: that Plame report Colin Powell had from the State Dept.):

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0305-02.htm
WASHINGTON -- The federal grand jury probing the leak of a covert CIA officer's identity has subpoenaed records of Air Force One telephone calls in the week before the officer's name was published in a column in July, according to documents obtained by Newsday.

Also sought in the wide-ranging document requests contained in three grand jury subpoenas to the Executive Office of President George W. Bush are records created in July by the White House Iraq Group, a little-known internal task force established in August 2002 to create a strategy to publicize the threat posed by Saddam Hussein.

And the subpoenas asked for a transcript of a White House spokesman's press briefing in Nigeria, a list of those attending a birthday reception for a former president, and, casting a much wider net than previously reported, records of White House contacts with more than two dozen journalists and news media outlets.

The three subpoenas were issued to the White House on Jan. 22, three weeks after Patrick Fitzgerald, the U.S. attorney in Chicago, was appointed special counsel in the probe and during the first wave of appearances by White House staffers before the grand jury.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Crimson

You're welcome. Thanks for checking the rest of this thread, especially the earliest pages, to find out how many real links and points I posted before posting that.

Is that a foot in your mouth, or are you just glad to see me? :laugh:

In your 2nd post in the thread, the 3rd page.. you posted:

If you don't have facts to disprove any of the above, and the best you can come up with is petty name calling, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, and you should STFU until you have something to contribute to the planet better than TasetslikeChickensh8.

This was after TLC made _2_ posts, NONE of them directed at you. Yet you ATTACK him, telling him he doesn't know his ass from a whole in the ground, tell him to STFU, and change his name to "TasetslikeChickensh8.".. I guess thats the contribution you are referring to.

So, instead of asking me if my foot is in my mouth.. maybe you should pull your head out of your ASS. You are a bitter angry troll Harvey... Re-read the first 3 pages of this thread and you will see that YOU were the one who started the attacks.. you routinely cross the line and nothing is ever done.. why is that? I think you need a break from P&N. You are going delusional.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
White House: Bush Has Confidence in Rove

Good grief. The man should be fired, and put on trial.
Oh, today's Press Briefing was another onslaught of Liar Boy. Liar Boy had to call on some "go-to" reporters to redirect questioning so he could go into his propaganda mode about the war on terror.

Good. They should keep asking the tough questions, no matter what Mr. NoComment has to say. Bush is going to be in a tight spot on this. It may be a good time for him to start drinking again.