Karen and Darren being oppressed in New York, cuz they're white.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
And we all know how New York City panders to black people, right?

In one video, the woman argued that she and her husband were being shamed and “discriminated” against by the ferry captain.
“If we were (expletive) Black, I can guarantee you that guy would never come out and tell us put a mask on,” she said, according to Gothamist.
“Right, because Black Lives Matter,” her husband agreed.

I no longer find it amusing that so many conservative whites live in fantasy land. Its not funny any more, its just sad and scary. They've never had any real discomfort in their lives. They're spoiled. The real world rushes in and reminds them they live on planet earth and occasionally have to deal with obstacles, they whine about discrimination and call others nazis, and pray their Beloved Orange Rapist will come down and save them like the new messiah. I'd like to feel sorry for them except they're incredibly selfish and self-centered and risking the lives of people around them. They're so deep in their box of lies and nonsense they even make up reasons why they cant or shouldnt wear masks in public. And theres millions of them. And they vote.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I no longer find it amusing that so many conservative whites live in fantasy land. Its not funny any more, its just sad and scary. They've never had any real discomfort in their lives. They're spoiled. The real world rushes in and reminds them they live on planet earth and occasionally have to deal with obstacles, they whine about discrimination and call others nazis, and pray their Beloved Orange Rapist will come down and save them like the new messiah. I'd like to feel sorry for them except they're incredibly selfish and self-centered and risking the lives of people around them. They're so deep in their box of lies and nonsense they even make up reasons why they cant or shouldnt wear masks in public. And theres millions of them. And they vote.
Everybody has been through worse than a concentration camp, a prison made permanent by denial of what we feel. If you hold these poor deluded fools responsible for their victim mentality, you will hold yourself in the same contempt. It actually is the same contempt. We were all made to feel worthless if we claimed to be victims. That made us victims. There is no one to blame. It had to be exactly as it was, The only change that can happen that matters is the change made possible to everybody in the now. The moving finger wrote and not one word can be erased. But there is always the chance that if we stand out in the road we can get run down by Grace. Relax and be happy. At least consider it from time to time.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

When you're accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The white people on the massively subsidized mass transit for white people are convinced they are oppressed because they are white.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I hear ya. I've had to use public bathrooms as well.
Surely you agree that a couple people taking a massively subsidized boat ride built basically specifically for them should be mature enough to comply with basic public health requirements?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Surely you agree that a couple people taking a massively subsidized boat ride built basically specifically for them should be mature enough to comply with basic public health requirements?
It wasn't built "specifically" for them, it was built for the public, of which, they are both members. And yes, they should have simply put on a mask as even if they don't believe it would help, it's good manners.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It wasn't built "specifically" for them, it was built for the public, of which, they are both members. And yes, they should have simply put on a mask as even if they don't believe it would help, it's good manners.
Maybe you should look at the areas that ferry serves and the per ride subsidy the city gives it and then return and edit this comment.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Maybe you should look at the areas that ferry serves and the per ride subsidy the city gives it and then return and edit this comment.
Were they the only two people allowed on the ferry? Does one have to produce verification of residence to ride it? Is access restricted to a certain group? I'll edit my comment if the answer to any of those questions is yes.

Dec 10, 2005
Were they the only two people allowed on the ferry? Does one have to produce verification of residence to ride it? Is access restricted to a certain group? I'll edit my comment if the answer to any of those questions is yes.
The low-ridership service, which the New York City Economic Development Corporation operates through private contractor Hornblower, uses a $10.73 per ride subsidy. Comparatively, the subsidy for a subway fare is a mere $1.05, a bus fare is $4.92, and the Long Island Rail Road is $6.07. Only the MTA’s express bus service, which is pricier than ferry fares at $6.50 a ride, costs more is subsidies than NYC Ferry per a trip.

Riders of Mayor Bill de Blasio's subsidy-soaked ferry system are significantly richer and whiter than their mass transit counterparts, according to new data reluctantly released by the city.

The long-sought figures reveal that 64 percent of ferry riders are white, with a median income ranging between $75,000 and $100,000. By comparison, studies have shown that two-thirds of subway riders and three-quarters of bus riders are people of color, with median incomes at around $40,000 and $29,000, respectively.

At the end of the day, the ferry subsidy is a give away to fairly well-off people. And those people tend to be richer and whiter than the people riding other forms of mass transit in NYC.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

At the end of the day, the ferry subsidy is a give away to fairly well-off people. And those people tend to be richer and whiter than the people riding other forms of mass transit in NYC.

While statistics may point to richer and whiter my non-whites people who are impacted by it either through direct usage or off the minuscule impact it has on reducing subway line shenanigans appear to support the ferry. Subsidies and all.
They are generally upper middle class "browns"

As for the two idiots in the story...its an unfortunate reality that NYPost and FoxNews have created a generation of white people who really just need to move to Florida where they belong.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While statistics may point to richer and whiter my non-whites people who are impacted by it either through direct usage or off the minuscule impact it has on reducing subway line shenanigans appear to support the ferry. Subsidies and all.
They are generally upper middle class "browns"

As for the two idiots in the story...its an unfortunate reality that NYPost and FoxNews have created a generation of white people who really just need to move to Florida where they belong.

Surveys on ferry use have found that the average rider makes six figures and they are two thirds white.

Its a hugely subsidized mass transit system for affluent white people.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why do you insist on playing dumb like this?
Nothing dumb about it. You claimed it was built "specifically" for them, and that I should revise my comment. My point is that's it's a public service. Public. Anyone can pay the fare and go for a ride. If it's used primarily by rich people and you don't like that then start a petition to shut it down. I don't care either way, it's a local issue, let the locals decide what to do about it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nothing dumb about it. You claimed it was built "specifically" for them, and that I should revise my comment. My point is that's it's a public service. Public. Anyone can pay the fare and go for a ride. If it's used primarily by rich people and you don't like that then start a petition to shut it down. I don't care either way, it's a local issue, let the locals decide what to do about it.
Again, why are you playing dumb?

It’s a public service that you would only use if you lived nearby, and the people who live near it are affluent white people. This is not hard to understand, in fact I’m certain you do understand it, which comes back to my question as to why you’re pretending you don’t.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Again, why are you playing dumb?

It’s a public service that you would only use if you lived nearby, and the people who live near it are affluent white people. This is not hard to understand, in fact I’m certain you do understand it, which comes back to my question as to why you’re pretending you don’t.
How the hell would I know who uses it, or who lives near by? Why would I care? It's a local issue. If the locals don't want white people to have a ferry then shut the system down. If it's been put in place by a crooked government then vote in a different government. Put oars on the damn thing and make all those fat white people row, or jack the ticket price up to a hundred bucks and make the dirty bastards pay. They can even make Karen's walk the plank as far as I'm concerned, I don't care.