Kane and Lynch: Dead Men

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I saw this game listed on Steam as coming out in October and I think it looks pretty sweet!

Official website with cool trailer: http://www.kaneandlynch.com/

Gamespot videos

IGN info (previews): http://pc.ign.com/objects/842/842694.html

Great hands on preview from gameplayer

Yet another preview

For those at work:
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men is the new action shooter franchise in development by Io-Interactive, creators of the multi-million selling Hitman series. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men follows the violent and chaotic journey of two men - a flawed mercenary and a medicated psychopath ? and their brutal attitude towards right and wrong. This volatile partnership combined with innovative technologies allow for an unparalleled gaming experience.

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men will immerse players in an emotionally intense crime drama with unflinching action. Io-Interactive?s proprietary technology will deliver fluid high definition graphics and lighting; highly destructible environments; massive crowd AI; single, co-op, and squad-based combat; a cinematic interface; and non-stop dialog between Kane and Lynch. The title also features innovative two-player co-op and groundbreaking online game play.

Tense and unpredictable experience - This is the violent and chaotic journey of two men: a flawed mercenary and a medicated psychopath. Each hates the other but must work together to save themselves and possibly the ones they love. Play Kane in single-player mode and either character in two-player co-op mode.

Violence erupts in meticulously created ?safe? worlds - Realistic and responsive environments and crowds react when events get of out control. Crowded nightclubs and calm bank offices become scenes of sudden terror. Manipulate the environments and crowds strategically to complete objectives.

Wide variety of intense 3rd person game play - Rappel from buildings; fire on the run or from moving vehicles; launch surprise attacks, lay down cover fire, and shoot blind from around corners; and hurl smoke, tear, and incendiary grenades.

Fast and intuitive combat - Lead a crew of criminal mercenaries to increase your chance of surviving and reaching your goals. You can also fight alone as your crew AI will automatically draw fire, throw grenades, lay down cover, and engage in close combat with their own signature moves.

Two-player co-operative game play - Team up and play the full story with a friend as either Kane or Lynch. On the big jobs, split the command of your crew. At any point in the game you can choose to play the next, or previous, levels in co-op.

Innovative multi-player levels based on the game's themes for up to eight players.

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
http://www.gameplayer.com.au/H...7f4042332099&v7Pager=1

As far as mercenaries with a mission go, Kane and Lynch are shaping up to be the best. They?re a pair of escaped criminals, as Neil Donnell, producer on the game explains: ?Kane?s misunderstood. He?s had a life as a mercenary? face has a few war signs? but we?d rather players discovered his back-story through the game.? We?d rather tell you that Kane was a mercenary working for The Seven, until a mission went tits-up. He fled to Venezuela, where the authorities nabbed him and sentenced him to death.

Lynch also ends up on Death Row. ?There was an accident with his wife,? says Donnell. ?Nobody really knows what happened, as he?s a schizophrenic, but he?s convicted of her murder. Sometimes his personality comes through in cutscenes, but if he?s pressured he?ll start to cave.? Their prison van is ambushed by The Seven, who negotiate a deal with the pair: Kane?s family get to live, if he?ll do one more job for them, with Lynch acting as their watchdog; when the job?s done, Kane dies.

?We?re trying to stay away from the dark humour of the Hitman series,? says Donnell. ?The subject matter here is even darker.? We?ll say. From the excellent nightclub level where Lynch interrupts an argument by punching out a middle-aged lady, to Kane?s brutal (and unexplained) mutilation of an old associate?s corpse, there?s content in here that could easily rate a MA15+.

Donnell walks us through the amazing nightclub scene with its 5,000 dancers (we?ve seen it before but it?s still impressive) then we get hands-on with a reworked version of the Attack of the Window Cleaners. Our team of mercenaries (dressed as, yep, window cleaners) clear a rooftop helipad using the intuitive team control and weapon systems, then rappel down the side of an office block to blow open a meeting room. It feels very similar to Hitman in terms of responsiveness and there?s obviously a shared engine, with all the idiosyncrasies that brings.

Finally, we get hands-on with an all-new scene. Exiting the office block after a massacre, we change into civilian outfits and mingle with the fleeing crowd. As this fails, we end up fighting our way through the city streets against cops and SWAT teams so our pick-up guy can spirit us away. At this point, our top-end mercenaries are really helping ? they improve in quality throughout and here they?re pretty much the best we could get.

The momentum of the story is paramount ? even the loading screens continue the plot. Going down in the lift from the office massacre, we hear the team arguing about changing into their business suits so they can escape anonymously from the office block. Donnell explains: ?The idea with Kane & Lynch is to have one constant narrative; we want people to be hooked into the story and dragged along.?

Multi-player is substantial. In split-screen co-op mode, one person controls Kane, the other Lynch. ?In single-player, you?ll just witness Lynch?s behaviour,? says Donnell. ?In co-op, the second player gets to play out some of his more delusional episodes.? How sensitively will IO portray Lynch?s mental illness? We?re hoping for full-on hallucinations? As for PVP, Donnell confirmed its existence, though he couldn?t tell us how it would work. ?We?ve got plans for doing downloadable content that are absolutely blockbuster? And we?d like to support multiplayer with new maps.? The team aren?t ready to reveal their Achievements, though they have suitably mean ideas.

So, any chance of crossovers with Eidos?s and IO?s other franchises? ?Well, observant Hitman: Blood Money players will have noticed the references in the newspapers to Kane & Lynch. It?s a case of whether if the fans would be interested if we did that? whether the ideas are strong enough. It can?t be gimmicky. But I?d like to play a Hitman Versus Kane & Lynch!?

Overall, there?s a really cinematic feel to the game, though not quite at the same level as Fahrenheit, and we?re hoping the eight hours of gameplay will all be as frenetic and involving as this. Roll on, November!

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Pfft, screw compelling stories and immersive narratives, where's t3h 1337 gr4ph1c5 of which true PC gamers desire?

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Looks cool, and I'm looking forward to it.

My only concern from what I've read so far is that the AI is, so far, really poor (ie, tons of stupid enemies instead of less, smarter enemies). Hopefully they can fix that before the game ships.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
this & Assassin's Creed will be 2 of the best games to come out any time soon, I'd rather play either over Crysis, and I want to play Crysis.

Apr 17, 2005
yeah, reviews suck ass though

Originally posted by: QueBert
this & Assassin's Creed will be 2 of the best games to come out any time soon, I'd rather play either over Crysis, and I want to play Crysis.

i'm playing assassins creed on ps3 and its awesome. :)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I've never heard of Kane and Lynch before, but the game looks really great! I like the Hitman series a lot, both for the dark humor and the storyline. So, a new game in the same genre/vein as the Hitman series from the creators of same should be really awesome.

I checked out the website and it looks like something I'd really like. Thanks, OP!!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
it won't have the same dark humor as Hitman, something I liked about that game. This one is pure dark, the reviews seem mixed, I see 3 give it 60/100 and 3 give it 80/100. I hope there's a demo I wouldn't want to drop even 30 bucks on it until I know for myself if I'll like it. It does look entertaining. And I did like Reservoir Dogs, which the credits were also very mixed about.