Kaby Lake - Netflix 4K support is here!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Someone dropped the ball big time if Pascal is not included in the first batch of 4K support on Windows.

Take a look at Nvidia's claims at the launch of Pascal.
In addition, we designed the Pascal architecture to meet the highest requirements of Microsoft PlayReady 3.0, allowing premium video content playback on Windows platforms. Content providers such as Netflix will be able to stream their latest content to Pascal-enabled PCs and have it play back at the highest supported quality, including 4K.

KZTnmij.png

The only difference between the language used in Pascal related articles vs. Kaby Lake related resources is that Pascal is said to "meet the highest standards for PlayReady 3.0" while KBL "includes support for PlayReady 3.0". The wording may signal a difference, but it can go either way really, since this DRM scheme comes with a robustness rating that products must meet or exceed.

Without jumping to conclusions, because we really don't have any clear info to point fingers at anyone, one can still wonder what exactly happened here that made Kaby Lake get 4K support ahead of a product launched 6 months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanddrews

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So what im getting from this thread so far is Nvidia fully supports this 100% in both hardware and software(10bit HEVC and playready 3), intel fully supports this, AMD supports HEVC 10 bit but not sure about playready. So pretty much any new computer should support this just fine, but yet its locked to intel only.

gee wonder why........

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Which to me confirms this is indeed a move by intel/netflix.

I doubt it. Intel doesn't benefit from Edge and Netflix likes Nvidia enough to give the Shield 4K Netflix.

This smells 100% like a Microsoft deal. Just like with cablecards Microsoft probably cut the deal and Kaby was picked because in four years there will be way more Kaby systems than Pascal systems.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
google owns the browser market.

they make a couple deals with netflix and intel and netflix and boom they get their walled garden they are trying so hard to keep people in.

When did Google get involved? Seriously, take a minute to compose your thoughts.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Someone dropped the ball big time if Pascal is not included in the first batch of 4K support on Windows.

Take a look at Nvidia's claims at the launch of Pascal.

KZTnmij.png

The only difference between the language used in Pascal related articles vs. Kaby Lake related resources is that Pascal is said to "meet the highest standards for PlayReady 3.0" while KBL "includes support for PlayReady 3.0". The wording may signal a difference, but it can go either way really, since this DRM scheme comes with a robustness rating that products must meet or exceed.

Without jumping to conclusions, because we really don't have any clear info to point fingers at anyone, one can still wonder what exactly happened here that made Kaby Lake get 4K support ahead of a product launched 6 months ago.

Exactly. I'm betting it's just that the drivers aren't ready.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
I don't know why everyone thinks that Nvidia should get a free pass on this. Do their drivers have PR3 supported and implemented? I remember Nvidia saying Maxwell was getting async compute.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Exactly. I'm betting it's just that the drivers aren't ready.

If the drivers arnt ready then it doesnt support it, and Nvidia is claiming it does so......... one would be lead to believe drivers support it.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Once again Netflix trumpets 4K but keeps it locked down to such an insignificant portion of the PC community that their content distribution networks wont get crushed. Great press release...

Reactions: Burpo

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Microsoft's fault.
No, Intel's fault.
No no, Nvidia's fault.
No no no, Netflix' fault.

Whatever you do, don't read the numerous online articles that clearly state this DRM scheme was the result of Hollywood's pressure on online content distributors such as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc., and it was such badly managed that even early 4K TV buyers found themselves being mocked as early TV sets and A/V receivers were also not compatible with the required DRM standards (HDCP 2.2).

In the case of PCs, consoles, streaming devices, the requirements reach new heights:
In essence, the hardware must create a secure environment for the entire video pipeline—from decryption to decoding to screen composition—to protect the content from software ripping.

They are trying to create the first ever effective copy protection system. They will eventually fail, but until they do so, paying customers will suffer. (while pirates don't give a damn)

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
I don't like the Edge requirement either, but I'm surprised people are getting vocal about it since even 1080p has been limited to Edge and IE. No browser supports 5.1 either, that requires the Windows 10 app.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
No browser supports 5.1 either, that requires the Windows 10 app.
Actually this bugs me because the W10 app defaults to 5.1 despite my 2.0 setup and I have to manually change it for EVERY episode for shows that are available in 5.1. If I leave it on 5.1 the sound is obviously much quieter as it thinks there are far more channels than I actually have.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
This is exactly why I refused to buy Skylake (and Broadwell).

No point in buying a gimped CPU if video playback is important to you.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
For what its worth i emailed both nvidia and AMD yesterday to ask about HEVC 10 bit and PlayReady 3.0 support. Both responded early this morning.

AMD says they support HEVC 10 bit but not PlayReady 3 and could not offer me any timelines to get certified for playready, the way the mail was worded makes me think AMD getting PlayReady 3 is a pipe dream but who knows, they have no current timeline so it wont be any time soon if ever.

Nvidia Says they fully support both HEVC and PlayReady 3 and that they are in talks with netflix to get added to support 4k netflix, so maybe Nvidia users will be on the supported list soon as they have all needed hardware support already in place.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
All in the name of DRM? Have they learned nothing? Artificial gimping and segmentation. Someone may have achieved a DRM goal but PR is going down the gutter.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
They are trying to create the first ever effective copy protection system. They will eventually fail, but until they do so, paying customers will suffer. (while pirates don't give a damn)

How much trouble would one be in if one were to say, pay for the subscriptions and pirate it anyway?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
All in the name of DRM? Have they learned nothing? Artificial gimping and segmentation. Someone may have achieved a DRM goal but PR is going down the gutter.

The biggest problem with this is 4K content adoption. For people who follow forums such as ours or were sitting on older Core 2 Duo/Quad, Nehalem, Sandy, Ivy CPUs, etc. this isn't a big deal if they were eyeing a 2017/2018 CPU upgrade anyway. But what about 2013-2014 Haswell and 2015-2016 Skylake users? That is still a tangible part of the market. The question is how many average Joes and their families will actually go out of their way and specifically upgrade their PC for 4K Netflix streaming? Chances are the 4K Netflix streaming won't even be the real 4K and will be compressed 4K. The amount of Internet data cap and overall Internet speeds required to stream uncompressed 4K video and audio would probably disqualify most viewers in the developed and especially 3rd world countries. To create incentive for people to actually pay extra or shift towards 4K content, the industry should have made it easier but instead they are throwing roadblocks along the way. This will only slow the adoption of 4K content delivery.

Reactions: Rifter and cytg111

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
Microsoft's fault.
No, Intel's fault.
No no, Nvidia's fault.
No no no, Netflix' fault.

Actually, most everyone agrees that its the majority the studio's fault.

Also, the pirates have failed here. Still no 4K Blu-Ray remux's available, even this long after release.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Gee, this makes you wonder why pirating exists...NOT. Let me watch this move on 4k netflix. Omg, it doesn't work on my PC. What's going on? Let me check for a torrent. Got it. He works perfectly fine. Will use pirated 4k torrent as well in the future. Works better and is free. Really got to wonder why people pirate...

Really, the guys in Hollywood are truly clueless. Maybe make some content that people actually think is worth paying for.

And if AMD doesn't support this PlayReady 3.0 (which I heard of the first time here in this thread) they really dropped the ball once again.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The biggest problem with this is 4K content adoption. For people who follow forums such as ours or were sitting on older Core 2 Duo/Quad, Nehalem, Sandy, Ivy CPUs, etc. this isn't a big deal if they were eyeing a 2017/2018 CPU upgrade anyway. But what about 2013-2014 Haswell and 2015-2016 Skylake users? That is still a tangible part of the market. The question is how many average Joes and their families will actually go out of their way and specifically upgrade their PC for 4K Netflix streaming? Chances are the 4K Netflix streaming won't even be the real 4K and will be compressed 4K. The amount of Internet data cap and overall Internet speeds required to stream uncompressed 4K video and audio would probably disqualify most viewers in the developed and especially 3rd world countries. To create incentive for people to actually pay extra or shift towards 4K content, the industry should have made it easier but instead they are throwing roadblocks along the way. This will only slow the adoption of 4K content delivery.
This is what people always say but what's on their side is the fact that technology moves forward. Eventually this will be standard, because in a few years Kaby Lake will be... well... a few years old. They had to start somewhere, and that somewhere is Kaby Lake this time.

BTW, 4K is already entrenched, in TVs. This Kaby Lake requirement for PCs will not hurt Netflix or 4K in any way.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Gee, this makes you wonder why pirating exists...NOT. Let me watch this move on 4k netflix. Omg, it doesn't work on my PC. What's going on? Let me check for a torrent. Got it. He works perfectly fine. Will use pirated 4k torrent as well in the future. Works better and is free. Really got to wonder why people pirate...

Really, the guys in Hollywood are truly clueless. Maybe make some content that people actually think is worth paying for.

And if AMD doesn't support this PlayReady 3.0 (which I heard of the first time here in this thread) they really dropped the ball once again.
Um, no. Pirating exists because nothing is better than free, especially free fine works that are of excellent quality.

Stuff like House of Cards(another Netflix creation) IS worth paying for and those who get a thrill ride and pirate, or at least not even use the legal copies found in the local library, are penny pinchers to the point that if they dominated the world, there would be no art to make because no money would be given out to support the actors financially.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Um, no. Pirating exists because nothing is better than free, especially free fine works that are of excellent quality.

Stuff like House of Cards(another Netflix creation) IS worth paying for and those who get a thrill ride and pirate, or at least not even use the legal copies found in the local library, are penny pinchers to the point that if they dominated the world, there would be no art to make because no money would be given out to support the actors financially.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/digital-piracy-not-harming-entertainment-industries-study-1.1894729

These sort of studies could suggest that pirates would not have bought the media to begin with and through pirating is at least carrying a value as a mouth to mouth commercial.
Add that to the cost-benefit of sinking massive amounts of dollars into DRM techs that always give bad press and always ends up being defeated anyway... I dont even.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013

Yea, I'm going to torrent all those 4K Blu-Ray remuxes. Oh wait... Hollywood is winning that battle.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/digital-piracy-not-harming-entertainment-industries-study-1.1894729

These sort of studies could suggest that pirates would not have bought the media to begin with and through pirating is at least carrying a value as a mouth to mouth commercial.
Add that to the cost-benefit of sinking massive amounts of dollars into DRM techs that always give bad press and always ends up being defeated anyway... I dont even.

That study is limited to music. And it also said that music sales were declining year on year from 1999-2012. The study states that the decline of music wasn't the apocalyptic scenario the music industry was predicting. It acknowledges that sales of tanked, and basically the conclusion of the study is "it's bad, but not THAT bad." The part titled "Illegal sharing can boost legal sales" has no data whatsoever to back it up.

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
This is exactly why I refused to buy Skylake (and Broadwell).

No point in buying a gimped CPU if video playback is important to you.

But you might be in the same boat anyways with Kaby Lake, or whatever near future CPU, depending on how strong the push ends up being for AV1.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I have pirated stuff before, but those things have been few and far between as time passes and yes, the I actually did decided to spend money on the stuff, or at least have the intention of using legal means from here on out, like the freaking public library. But don't tell me that all of the torrenters of media are those who wouldn't have bought it anyway. Gilmore Girls, which is mentioned in the blog post, is an old show has pirated versions at LOWER RESOLUTIONS already(or available through the library system), so if it is matter of whether the show is worth it or not, the "free stuff" is there. But if you want to enjoy that series with the utmost detail, then forking over some cash is something you should be doing.