Justice Sotomayor: Stop Bending the Constitution to Favor Cops

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Just wow!! This woman hits the nail directly on the head!!
I cannot disagree at all!!

Did you expect me to disagree.....lololol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/evan-...ayor_b_6534970.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Has the Supreme Court given law enforcement more leeway that the Constitution permits? Justice Sonia Sotomayor seems to think so. At oral argument in Rodriguez v. United States, a case involving the use of drug-sniffing dogs during traffic stops, Justice Sotomayor vigorously resisted the government's arguments and expressed a broad concern about the Court's deference to law enforcement in Fourth Amendment cases. Those who share her belief that neither the Fourth Amendment nor any other part of the Constitution ought to be reduced to "a useless piece of paper" should insist that the Court consistently hold those who enforce the law fully accountable to it.

The facts of the case: On March 27, 2012, Nebraska police officer Morgan Struble stopped Dennys Rodriguez for swerving once towards the shoulder of the road. After questioning Rodriguez and issuing him a written warning, Struble asked permission to walk his drug-sniffing dog around the outside of Rodriguez's vehicle. When Rodriguez refused, Struble made him exit the vehicle and wait for backup to arrive. Roughly eight minutes later, a second officer showed up, and Struble led his dog around the car. The dog gave an "alert" for illegal drugs, and a subsequent search turned up a bag of methamphetamine.

The Supreme Court held in Illinois v. Caballes (2005) that the use of drug-snuffing dogs during routine traffic stops does not violate the Fourth Amendment if the stop is not "prolonged beyond the time reasonably required to complete that mission." But in Rodriguez's case, the "mission" was completed-- the officer had let Rodriguez off with a warning. The question is whether an officer may detain someone and force them to wait for a canine sniff without reasonable suspicion or other lawful justification.

At oral argument, Justice Department lawyer Ginger Anders contended that there was no constitutionally significant distinction between trotting out a drug-sniffing dog during a stop and making someone wait for the dog after a completed stop, so long as the whole affair "falls within the amount of time it usually takes to do a routine traffic stop." On this reasoning, the fact that the initial mission (writing Rodriguez up for crossing the white line) was complete would not preclude the officer from embarking on another mission, with the aid of a drug-sniffing dog. Anders added, "[F]rom the officer's perspective, I think there's an interest in officers having some leeway to sequence the stop."

Several of the Justices appeared troubled by this reasoning. "The dog sniff is something else altogether," Chief Justice Roberts stated, and Justice Breyer agreed, saying, "Once [the traffic stop is] over, it's over, done, finished." Justice Kagan, for her part, suggested that Anders' arguments lacked any limiting principle: "You really are saying because we have a reason to pull you over for a traffic stop, that gives us some extra time to start questioning you about other law enforcement*-related things and to do other law enforcement-*related business."

But Justice Sotomayor's forceful response stood out. Not only did she point out that signing off on dog sniffs that are extraneous to the mission of a given stop would create "an entitlement to search for drugs by using dogs, whenever anybody's stopped," but, responding to Anders' plea for leeway, she made a more profound point: "We can't keep bending the Fourth Amendment to the resources of law enforcement." Sotomayor may have been an alluding to Heien v. North Carolina, a 2014 case in which the Court (over Justice Sotomayor's strong dissent) held that a traffic stop based on a police officer's mistaken view of the law did not violate the Fourth Amendment because that mistake was "reasonable."

The Fourth Amendment is not the only context in which the Supreme Court has bent the Constitution to meet law enforcement needs. In Harlow v. Fitzgerald (1982), the Court invented the doctrine of "qualified immunity," which protects government officials from liability for constitutional injuries unless their conduct violates clearly established statutory or constitutional rights. You will not find this doctrine in constitutional text or history or any federal statute -- the Court simply made it up to ensure that police officers enjoy far more leeway than doctors, pilots, and others who routinely make life-or-death decisions under stressful conditions. The Court has also enabled the expansion of civil asset forfeiture, which allows law enforcement to take property from citizens, regardless of whether the property owner is guilty or innocent--and without even charging the owner with a crime. The Court's lax treatment of a practice that is rooted in medieval superstition and which today serves primarily to pad law enforcement budgets has left law-abiding citizens vulnerable to policing for profit.

Americans expect and deserve a level playing field every time they seek justice in our courts. Our nation was founded on the principle that public officials possess only delegated (and therefore limited) powers, and they must be held accountable for the responsible exercise of those powers. Implementing that principle requires judicial engagement -- a genuine, fact-driven effort to determine the constitutionality of government action, without unwarranted deference to officials' supposed good faith and good judgment. Justice Sotomayor's fellow justices should heed her warning.

Dec 10, 2005
I don't know... I think we need more justices like Alito and Scalia, to bend over backwards for law enforcement as they violate our rights, intentionally or otherwise. /s

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
"Strict constructionists" on SCOTUS haven't read past the Second Amendment, and skipped the First.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Excellent. Now if they act on it and rein in the abuses they so far have permitted. That would be a great day.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
dude, stop it with the wall-o-text. it doesnt help you.

also, huffpost link.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
"Strict constructionists" on SCOTUS haven't read past the Second Amendment, and skipped the First.

That is the amusing part. They are not even strict constructionists on the 2nd amendment. (explaining that requires too many words)

The 4th amendment has become an "inkblot," so to speak. Police gets benefit of doubt, can be ignorant of law (or facts for that matter), and get "qualified immunity." while civilians get nothing of the sort. To think that the 4th amendment was adopted to protect citizens from the police misconduct..

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
The part that bothered me is the part about qualified immunity that was made up in 1982.

It seems like most things from the 80s were mistakes.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Proving that even a broken clock is right twice a day, she is correct on this one.

Over the years the pendulum seems to have slowly swung pretty far toward the direction of law enforcement at the expense of the 4th amendment and other rights.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003

also, huffpost link.

So, do you not care to read about things you disagree with, or are you just functionally illiterate?

Besides, it's not a wall of text when it's properly formatted into paragraphs...

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

also, huffpost link.
Help who? I am not debating or arguing with anybody!
I know the truth hurts...but really? Wall of Text?
Are you unable to comprehend the English language?

As MrPickins stated - So, do you not care to read about things you disagree with, or are you just functionally illiterate?

Besides, it's not a wall of text when it's properly formatted into paragraphs...

rpsgc

Sep 22, 2004
TIL: 8 (relatively) short paragraphs == wall of text.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

(sorry for the off-topic)

This is good. Of course, talk is cheap. We need actions.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If Sotomayor's POV is held by the majority of the Court, what it means is that LEO will need to establish probable cause for the use of dogs wrt vehicle searches. As it is, they can do so at will.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
If Sotomayor's POV is held by the majority of the Court, what it means is that LEO will need to establish probable cause for the use of dogs wrt vehicle searches. As it is, they can do so at will.

Agreed, once the driver refused consent to allow the dogs a search warrant should have been required. I disagree with the logic of dogs being allowed if not "prolonged beyond the time reasonably required to complete that mission" since it gives officers carte blanche.

For qualified immunity I have less concern, as otherwise every single police interaction could be basis for a lawsuit bringing the justice system to a grinding halt. If we had a "loser pays" judicial system I'd probably not support it, but as it stands now it gives too much leeway for frivilous lawsuits.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Agreed, once the driver refused consent to allow the dogs a search warrant should have been required. I disagree with the logic of dogs being allowed if not "prolonged beyond the time reasonably required to complete that mission" since it gives officers carte blanche.

For qualified immunity I have less concern, as otherwise every single police interaction could be basis for a lawsuit bringing the justice system to a grinding halt. If we had a "loser pays" judicial system I'd probably not support it, but as it stands now it gives too much leeway for frivilous lawsuits.

Agreed. A search is a search, whether performed by a canine or a human, thus requiring consent or probable cause. That changes if a person is arrested on the spot & the vehicle impounded, of course.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The part that bothered me is the part about qualified immunity that was made up in 1982.

It seems like most things from the 80s were mistakes.

I figure you're fairly young, otherwise you'd understand that the 1982 ruling actually reduced LEO immunity. Depending on jurisdiction, they often had a lot more leeway before than after.

It's hard to sue from a prison cell.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
The dogs are BS. They can claim the dog "signaled" and who is going to argue? Do you know what the dogs signal is?

They just use them as a four legged search warrant.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The dogs are BS. They can claim the dog "signaled" and who is going to argue? Do you know what the dogs signal is?

The officer knows. It's not like the dogs are trained to lie. They can, however, be mistaken.

They just use them as a four legged search warrant.

Correctomundo. Notification from the dog serves as probable cause, with no probable cause to use the dog being necessary in the first place. That's the real issue.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The officer knows. It's not like the dogs are trained to lie. They can, however, be mistaken.

Correctomundo. Notification from the dog serves as probable cause, with no probable cause to use the dog being necessary in the first place. That's the real issue.

I think his point is that the cop can simply claim that the dog "signaled," and no one is going to be able to dispute him. I think we should have to put the dog itself on the stand, and require it stand up to cross examination.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think his point is that the cop can simply claim that the dog "signaled," and no one is going to be able to dispute him. I think we should have to put the dog itself on the stand, and require it stand up to cross examination.

Meh. Cops don't want to engage in fruitless searches. Makes 'em look bad. The smart ones only search to confirm what the dog already told 'em.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Meh. Cops don't want to engage in fruitless searches. Makes 'em look bad. The smart ones only search to confirm what the dog already told 'em.

Cops are as successable to bias as anyone else. It is easier to remember the times you were right about that hunch then the times you were wrong.