Justice League (premiers 3/18/21)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

this is the Synder cut and not the Joss Wheaton version released in theaters in 2017.
Synder had 5+ hrs of film before he quit because his daughter died.

Wheaton only used 30min and the rest of the 2017 film was his. :eek:

this version is 4hrs long with new scenes shot last year! (but nothing involving Superman)
cant wait...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Whedon, Joss Whedon.

Considering that BvS Ultimate was a lot better than the theatrical cut, then I can't wait to see how he cut this version. I'm excited.

Reactions: Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Considering that BvS Ultimate was a lot better than the theatrical cut, then I can't wait to see how he cut this version. I'm excited.
Rewatched BvS ultimate cut.
Forgot about the death of Robin scene.

Thx for mentioning that movie

Reactions: Linux23

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

this is the Synder cut and not the Joss Wheaton version released in theaters in 2017.
Synder had 5+ hrs of film before he quit because his daughter died.

Wheaton only used 30min and the rest of the 2017 film was his. :eek:

this version is 4hrs long with new scenes shot last year! (but nothing involving Superman)
cant wait...

I just looked through his IMDB.

He has directed exactly one good movie: Dawn of the Dead. Which also happened to be his first movie.

All of his superhero movies have been garbage. I guess it is possible it will be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
started watching it.

1st 6min:
dozens of amazons guarding a box that hasnt done anything for who knows how long?

why leave the box on a pedestal in the open if it's that important???

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
why does wonder woman even need to deflect bullets with her magic bracelets if she has invulnerably almost matching superman?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I can't believe Snyder fixed this movie...it was fantastic! 4 hours and I wanted more at the end!!!

I hope WB sees the error of their ways and makes a DC movieverse off of JL.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
why does wonder woman even need to deflect bullets with her magic bracelets if she has invulnerably almost matching superman?
AEo8cT-td59S4gt5E8nF1fuotcvK-2MFKcpstS4etAQ.jpg

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
It took the wife and I three days to get through this.

Possible spoilers below.

I'm so torn on this one. My knee jerk reaction was that it was a steaming pile of shit. How else can you describe a movie that makes the Whedon version appealing? The first three hours were sooooo slow. There's probably an hour of footage that needed to be cut due to being completely useless. There's probably another hour of footage that was only relevant to setting up future movies. Do you need to make a 3 hour movie into a 4 hour movie by setting up stories that you 100% know will not be told? The mid-movie scene with Martian Manhunter was useless. The Epilogue scene with Martian Manhunter was useless AND stupid. The evil Superman setup was useless. Barry's job interview was useless. The Unlife Equation was useless. The Aquaman singing was useless. So much wasted screen time.

People complained that the Whedon version didn't make sense. But you're going to tell me the Snyder intro made sense? The cuts from Themyscira to Bruce Wayne back to Themyscira apparently were supposed to happen weeks (months?) apart but they were edited to seem almost instantaneous.

The Snyder Steppenwolf was a little bitch compared to the Whedon version and his armor CGI was bad.

Speaking of bad CGI the effects in Themyscira were HORRIBLE.

The soundtrack was bad and often didn't match the visual tone.

Am I supposed to believe that a civilization that exists underwater for millennia hasn't developed the ability to speak underwater and has to create air bubbles all the time?

The football game "action" was so bad.

I could go on and on.

And despite all that I appreciate all the extra footage that makes everything make sense. The Whedon version did such a terrible job explaining so many things. It lowered my opinion of that version because now I know what I was missing.

Before, having watched only the Whedon version, I was pretty 'meh' about it; maybe 4 or 5 out of 10. Now I'd give it a 3/10. But at the same time the Snyder version really isn't any better. Also a 3/10.

Let's face it: Superman makes the DC universe impossible to put into film. He's a Mary Sue, and not a good one at that. If either Justice League movie had just said "Fuck it, let's stop wasting the audience's time and bring back Superman in the first 5 minutes so he can single-handedly beat the unstoppable bad guy" it would have been a better movie. At least then the Director would have respected the audience. Nope, we get quasi deus ex machina time travel instead.

Finally, related to both versions and neither, who the hell cast Ezra Miller as the Flash? You'd think that for the character who's sole purpose is "runs really fast" you'd want an actor who had run a quarter mile at some point in their life. Instead you get a goon flailing his arms and legs all over the place like someone playing QWOP or Octodad. He showed more athleticism when he assaulted that woman than he did at any point in the movies.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
The intended targets behind her in the building massacre don't have this invulnerability.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just looked through his IMDB.

He has directed exactly one good movie: Dawn of the Dead. Which also happened to be his first movie.

All of his superhero movies have been garbage. I guess it is possible it will be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

eh, 300 is pretty awesome.

Watchmen is still the best superhero movie anywhere, so I don't know what you're smoking.

• Love
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
WB wanted to capitalize on the success of the MCU without investing in building it. Look at the success of WandaVision, that show couldn’t exist without the MCU behind it. Disney made the same mistake with Star Wars, with the Mandalorian and Rogue One being the notable exceptions only because they built on the existing OT.

DC characters are tough to nail down as part of one coherent world. Richard Donner was the definitive take on Superman. Batman for me is equal parts Adam West, Michael Keating and Christian Bale. Heath Ledger is the definitive take on the Joker.

Wonder Woman was ok, but the success of that character did not extend into a sequel.

Aquaman was another generic special effects movie.

It seems like Zach Snyder took one part 300, one part Watchmen and one part Sucker Punch and threw the DC characters in a blender. Whedon is getting a lot of flack for his cut, yet I don’t blame him for delivering the incoherent mess that Snyder created. The Snyder cut is basically Hobbit indulgent Peter Jackson. All this toxic fandom to basically release deleted scenes.

Reactions: Denly

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The mid-movie scene with Martian Manhunter was useless.
Barry's job interview was useless.
The Unlife Equation was useless.
So much wasted screen time.
i'm 2/3 of the way thru but i agree with you on these points.

How can Darkseid not remember where the planet that defeated him was?!
and the Unlife equation made no sense since Darkseid created it using his weapon.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

and the Unlife equation made no sense since Darkseid created it using his weapon.
Yeah, it was a plot hole, but Darkseid did almost die during that battle, and he mentioned conquering 100,000 worlds, and Earth was the only world able to defend themselves...may have had something to do with it.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
tenor.gif

I'm not posting here with you! You're posting here with ME!

I admit 300 was cool when I saw it in the IMAX. But I tried watching it again a while back and it really did not hold my attention at all.

As for Watchmen, well I don't know what to like about that pile of crap besides Rorschach. I do remember the blue dong was some solid unintentional comedy.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
As to the Snyder Cut: It has a good graphic novel to movie feel to it. Somewhat like he did with 300. And getting rid of the stupid family that lives in Chernobyl scenes, and some of the other nonsense gave it a more adult tone. Steppenwolf looks much better than the other version. His voice and lines were better too. The whole movie has a better flow, and the violence was more adult.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I admit 300 was cool when I saw it in the IMAX. But I tried watching it again a while back and it really did not hold my attention at all.

As for Watchmen, well I don't know what to like about that pile of crap besides Rorschach. I do remember the blue dong was some solid unintentional comedy.
I read, re-read, and still have, the Watchmen graphic novel. Snyder puts it on film, if the studio does not butcher it. That they did not use the sub plot involving kidnapping all the experts and creating the giant trans dimensional squid was a bummer. But the version of the movie where the story Tales of the Black Freighter, in the comic book the kid is reading, plays out, is a good movie.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007

Earth is the only planet in the universe that defied him yet he doesn't remember that? But Steppenwolf also knows about Atlanteans and Amazons? And Steppenwolf knows about Earth's "old gods?" Why would he know the mythos of one planet in thousands that they haven't visited in millennia and apparently forgot about?

Also, apparently "help from the stars" consisted of only one Green Lantern. Like, where was the rest of the Corps? Or any of the other Lanterns? And why would there be no Green Lantern since then?

Reactions: JEDI