Justice for delinquent youths: Paris, TX style

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TheFamilyMan
WTF is up with black parent's naming their kids these ganked up names? I mean...COME ON!!! Shaquanda?!?!?! It ranks right up there with Quaranita, Shauntayshia, Lawshawne, and the list goes on and on. I guess they think they're being creative or bucking "whitey" by having an "original" name...I don't know *shakes head*

I feel so bad sometimes...My daughters have friends with names so unpronounceable and spelled so horridly absurd that when we do Valentine's cards for school, we spend more time checking the spelling of the name than we do picking out, writing the valentine and adding candy and sealing it. I just think of how many times these kids are in a class with a new teacher and know the teacher has come to their name and has this perplexed look on their face as they try to pronounce it...then the kid has to say it for them and then just ends up giving her a shortened nickname to call out. Why...I mean why??

WTF is wrong with some people these days?

Look, another dumb redneck from Alabama. Thanks for dragging the whole state down. Who gives a fvck what her name is? That has nothing to do with the injustice done to her or who she is.

WTF is wrong with YOU?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Whisper
I'm sure there are some details missing from the story, but 7 years in prison for shoving a hall monitor? Yeah, unwarranted. Hell, the 10 months she's already been in there is well beyond what should've been handed down.

She committed a 3rd Degree felony in the state of Texas, which carries a 2-10 year sentence and a $10,000 fine. They likely tagged on the extra years because it was on what the law defines as an elderly person.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus
I've read a few stories about how racist east texas is, especially in terms of criminal punishment.

Northeast Texas is one of the most backwards places I have had the displeasure of visiting.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: Lemodular
how much did you live between 15 and 21?

She's going to be messed up for a while. Ends up hating white people, have kids, teach them to hate....and the cycle continues.

sad

It sounds like ol' Shaqy there already has the anger and hate thing covered. What made her shove an elderly woman? I'm not saying that a 7-year sentence is valid for this nor is the light sentence for the arson. I am saying that Shaqy knew exactly what she was doing...putting her hands on an elderly person and purposefully shoving them. At the very least, she should have been REQUIRED to attend anger-management classes and accept responsibilty for her actions and accept expulsion/suspension and maybe even a juvenile record to be expunged if she made it to 18 without further trouble.

Since when is 58 elderly?

So if you're a 58 year old women, its okay for a 14 year old to shovel you around? You know there have been cases of younger women doing worse -- there been cases of younger kids beating adults.

This is a one sided story... If kids acted responsible, none of this would have happen, but these days everyone's unique.. .everyone is special.. everyone can do whatever they want. I have a feeling that this Shaquanda felt like she could do anything she wanted.... I feel no pity... Be polite and respectful to your teachers!!!

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
WTF is up with black parent's naming their kids these ganked up names? I mean...COME ON!!! Shaquanda?!?!?! It ranks right up there with Quaranita, Shauntayshia, Lawshawne, and the list goes on and on. I guess they think they're being creative or bucking "whitey" by having an "original" name...I don't know *shakes head*

I feel so bad sometimes...My daughters have friends with names so unpronounceable and spelled so horridly absurd that when we do Valentine's cards for school, we spend more time checking the spelling of the name than we do picking out, writing the valentine and adding candy and sealing it. I just think of how many times these kids are in a class with a new teacher and know the teacher has come to their name and has this perplexed look on their face as they try to pronounce it...then the kid has to say it for them and then just ends up giving her a shortened nickname to call out. Why...I mean why??

STFU

Originally posted by: eleison

She's going to be messed up for a while. Ends up hating white people, have kids, teach them to hate....and the cycle continues.

sad

It sounds like ol' Shaqy there already has the anger and hate thing covered. What made her shove an elderly woman? I'm not saying that a 7-year sentence is valid for this nor is the light sentence for the arson. I am saying that Shaqy knew exactly what she was doing...putting her hands on an elderly person and purposefully shoving them. At the very least, she should have been REQUIRED to attend anger-management classes and accept responsibilty for her actions and accept expulsion/suspension and maybe even a juvenile record to be expunged if she made it to 18 without further trouble.

So if you're a 58 year old women, its okay for a 14 year old to shovel you around? You know there have been cases of younger women doing worse -- there been cases of younger kids beating adults.

This is a one sided story... If kids acted responsible, none of this would have happen, but these days everyone's unique.. .everyone is special.. everyone can do whatever they want. I have a feeling that this Shaquanda felt like she could do anything she wanted.... I feel no pity... Be polite and respectful to your teachers!!!

The issue isn't that she deserves disciplinary action, it's the fact that she's getting 7 years in prison for pushing a hall monitor. No doubt she should be polite and respectful, but that is absurd.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Can you imagine what type of major fact must've been omitted to warrant seven years in juvenile hall? I love small town USA!

Under Texas Law, assualt on a civil servant is a SERIOUS offense, no matter how bad the assualt was.

Now 7 years is way to much, but she would have served atleast two. You'd have to look into the judges records to see if there was any racism involved though.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: eleison

sad

So if you're a 58 year old women, its okay for a 14 year old to shovel you around?

I'm not sure how you got that out of my post unless you were drinking Chlorox and sniffing some industrial glue. Lay off the drugs and stupidity.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Can you imagine what type of major fact must've been omitted to warrant seven years in juvenile hall? I love small town USA!

Under Texas Law, assualt on a civil servant is a SERIOUS offense, no matter how bad the assualt was.

Yeah, like I said in my post, a lot of districts are pushing for mandatory minimum sentences for assaults against school employees.

May 31, 2001
Here is an article for some added context that the Chicago Tribune chose to leave out of the story.

Both sides respond to Tribune story
By Josh Edwards
The Paris News

Published March 14, 2007
Paris made headlines around the nation Monday with a story in the Chicago Tribune by Howard Witt that highlighted the case of 14-year-old Shaquanda Cotton who was convicted of assault of a public servant for shoving a hall monitor at Paris High School.

Some people are calling the story a smear campaign that inaccurately represents Paris, while others are praising the midwestern newspaper for finally presenting an accurate look at the story.

It is The Paris News policy not to identify the names of juveniles convicted of crimes, but special permission was gained by the girl's mother.

?If the nation is shocked and outraged, why are the people of Paris not?? civil rights activist Brenda Cherry asked.

Cotton's mother, Creola Cotton, said the Tribune contacted her in reference to the story, most likely because of NAACP action in Austin, but she was glad the paper did what she felt is fair and balanced story.

?No one ever asked Shaquanda's side. No on ever talked to me or talked to Shaquanda. Everything that was reported in The Paris News came from the other side,? she claims.

The 14-year-old was sentenced by County Judge Chuck Superville to an indeterminate sentence of up to seven years in a Texas Youth Commission facility, a sentence Creola Cotton and fellow civil rights activist Brenda Cherry say they feel is unfair.

?If she had to get some kind of punishment for what they say she did, then I think alternative school would have been going far enough,? Creola Cotton said.

Superville said he had not read the story and could not offer a look into the legal aspects of the case.

?From what I'm hearing it's highly unflattering and highly inaccurate,? Superville said.

Creola Cotton says the most unflattering and inaccurate part of the ordeal is how she and her daughter were treated by Paris Independent School District and the Lamar County judicial system. Both she and Cherry say their children were unfairly discriminated against by the district because they protested and filed complaints against the school and police department.

?That is supposed to be the American system. You don't go fight. You talk about it. if you're not satisfied, you file a complaint. That's supposed to be the American way,? Cherry said.

?If you're white,? Cotton added.

During the punishment phase of the trial, prosecutors argued against probation, saying that the girl?s mother is perhaps her biggest problem and that the girl has no hope of getting better as long as she?s in the same home as her mother.

?Shaquanda came from a very structured home. She didn't run around; she didn't get out in the street; she didn't do drugs; she didn't drink alcohol; she didn't do any of those things because I didn't let her,? Creola Cotton said. ?The only reason that they could give that Shaquanda should be removed from my home is that I filed complaints against the school and the police department. So how does that make me an unfit parent??

The defense position has always been that a school employee shoved the girl first. Cherry and Creola Cotton say the teacher's aide faked injures so charges could be trumped up against the 14-year-old.

Officials at PISD say the Tribune story does not cover all the facts.

?It's unfortunate that Mr. Witt would come to such a broad conclusion based upon limited information,? administrator Robert High said. ?The district cannot comment on matters when litigation is pending. FERPA regulations also prevent us from discussing details involving a minor.?

The Office for Civil Rights Dallas Division is currently investigating the district.

?They have come to the district and reviewed all records for a two year period and conducted some interviews and are scheduled to return,? High said.

The Chicago Tribune story compared the case to that of a 14-year-old arsonist who Superville elected to keep on probation.

Cherry and Creola Cotton say this is outrageous.

?It's unfair that Shaquanda gets an unfair sentence up to age 21 for actually just touching a teacher to keep her from continually pushing her. She did that kind of crime and you have a little white girl the same age as Shaquanda was who goes down and burns down a house (and is) just repeatedly in the court system and he chooses to give her more probation. She was already on probation,? Creola Cotton said.

Officials at Lamar County Attorney's office say they pushed for the same sentence for the 14-year-old arsonist, who is white, as they did for Shaquanda Cotton.

?There are people who commit crimes and there are people who do not agree with the way those crimes are handled and the process. this is not a racial issue with this office,? Lamar County Attorney's Office spokesman Allan Hubbard said. ?There will always be people who object to the level that we pursue something for prosecution.?

Prosecutor Merilee Brown pointed out that an appeals court denied the 14-year-old Cotton a personal recognizance bond.

?She's been in there 10 months, and she could have been out by now,? Brown said.

The story also referenced the Cody Posey case which was in the 6th District Court of Jim Lovett. A jury recommended five years in prison for the criminally negligent homicide conviction, but Lovett probated the sentence for 10 years.

?He's an adult and that was an accident. You can't even compare those,? Brown said. ?... That's severe for a car accident.?

Members of Concerned Citizens for Racial Equality and the Paris/Lamar County Millions More Movement say they believe the cases are very relevant and show blatant racism in Paris. The groups plan to protest Monday at either Lamar County Courthouse or Paris Independent School District administration building.

?It's concerning Shaquanda Cotton and the fact that black people and Hispanics are not treated the same in Lamar County. We just don't feel that we get the same treatment. We do not want special treatment; we want equal treatment, that's all,? Cherry said.

Lamar County Chamber of Commerce President Pete Kampfer said Tuesday afternoon he felt the story was slanted, but shouldn't hurt industry looking to move to Paris.

?It would have no impact right now, but we don't want any of these negative things reflecting on our community. It's a rather negative article about us,? he said.

SOURCE

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven

Under Texas Law, assualt on a public servant is a SERIOUS offense, no matter how bad the assualt was.

Yeah, like I said in my post, a lot of districts are pushing for mandatory minimum sentences for assaults against school employees.

Well, assualt on a public servant in Texas is a 3rd degree felony. The judge likley used the age of the victim as a mitigating factor in giving 7 years.

We dont know the full case though, we just know what the writer of the article cherry picked.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I didnt see the up to 7 years part.

She'll be out in 2, maybe less(1 year in texas jails is not a standard year, its very much truncated). That is unless she gets into trouble while there, and then she'll be serving the full length.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

My last name is 6 letters and is pronounced exactly how it is spelled in English, but I still had the same issue - teachers could never pronounce it. I always had to correct them. Surprisingly, this did not cause me emotional distress and I turned out just fine. :Q

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm sure there are some details missing from the story, but 7 years in prison for shoving a hall monitor? Yeah, unwarranted. Hell, the 10 months she's already been in there is well beyond what should've been handed down.

She committed a 3rd Degree felony in the state of Texas, which carries a 2-10 year sentence and a $10,000 fine. They likely tagged on the extra years because it was on what the law defines as an elderly person.

Texas State law says:

"Elderly individual" means a person 65 years of age or older.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/do...t/htm/pe.005.00.000022.00.htm#22.04.00

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003

Look, another dumb redneck from Alabama. Thanks for dragging the whole state down. Who gives a fvck what her name is? That has nothing to do with the injustice done to her or who she is.

WTF is wrong with YOU?

Ahahaha...another mouth-breather running around insinuating that because someone speaks their mind about unpronouncable, wacky-spelled, fvcked up names they are automatically a "redneck" and a racist. Listen, I don't have to bring the whole state down...many people (like you) will do that regardless.

As far as I see it...no injustice was done to her. She was 14, totally coherent in her actions, completely acknowledging what her actions would result in, and she still CHOSE to shove someone 44 years older than her. She deserves what she gets...white or black it doesn't matter.

Originally posted by: iamaelephant

First of all, I find it disgusting that you can read an article like this and the only thing you have to say is a criticism of someone's name. Secondly, I find it both humourous ans saddening that you think black people in America should have to give their kids "white" name just because you don't like the sound or you have a hard time spelling these unique names. I personally really like these neat sounding "black" names and I think it's great that black people in USA are making an effort to create a culture of their own, beyond gang violence and drugs.

You are so off your rocker if you think that all I got out of this was that her name was gobbledy-******. While you find it humorous and saddening that I think black people in America sould give their kids "white" (no where in my post did I say "white" names, by the way...that's your term), I find it both humorous and saddening that kids are given jacked up names because of ignorant parents. While you personally like these neat sounding names and think it's great that black people do this to their kids all in the name of creating a culture all their own, I think it is wacky. If they want to create a culture beyond gang violence and drugs, then giving their kids fvcked up names won't do it...them working to stop gang violence, racism and the drug trade within their neighborhoods will. Personally, I don't see any of that happening because someone named their kid Quarnatiasia...you may see it happening because of that and I hope the rose-colored glasses you look through never mist up from your tears that fall as you read another humorous and creative name in the paper, but I have a sinking feeling you will be sadly mistaken down the road.

I love these boards when you speak your mind about an issue and are labeled a "redneck", "racist", or hate-monger. I'm going to have to show this thread to my wife when she gets home tonight...she happens to be black, by the way...I hope I don't come off as too racist or she might not speak to me again o_O

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Texas State law says:

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/do...t/htm/pe.005.00.000022.00.htm#22.04.00

Its still a third degree felony regardless of age. I didnt see the part that defined elderly. If she was 18 she'd be serving 2 years hard time, in a state pen. The OP title is very mislead, she wasnt sentenced to 7 years, but up to 7 years which is a HUGE difference. She could get out any day really. It all depends on her behavior.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Texas State law says:

Its still a third degree felony regardless of age. I didnt see the part that defined elderly. If she was 18 she'd be serving 2 years hard time, in a state pen. The OP title is very mislead, she wasnt sentenced to 7 years, but up to 7 years which is a HUGE difference. She could get out any day really. It all depends on her behavior.

2nd case of teenager getting only probation for assaulting a public servant.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

WTF is wrong with YOU?

Ahahaha...another mouth-breather running around insinuating that because someone speaks their mind about unpronouncable, wacky-spelled, fvcked up names they are automatically a "redneck" and a racist. Listen, I don't have to bring the whole state down...many people (like you) will do that regardless.

As far as I see it...no injustice was done to her. She was 14, totally coherent in her actions, completely acknowledging what her actions would result in, and she still CHOSE to shove someone 44 years older than her. She deserves what she gets...white or black it doesn't matter.

Why not hang her on a tree like y'all used too? You are one sick fvck...

Aggrevated assault doesn't get you 7 years even when tried as an adult, not to mention a 14 year old kid. All you twats down south need to get you ass whooped by the north again to set your heads straight.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I didnt see the up to 7 years part.

She'll be out in 2, maybe less(1 year in texas jails is not a standard year, its very much truncated). That is unless she gets into trouble while there, and then she'll be serving the full length.

While that is true, it shouldn't matter.

Probation in Texas for hitting a teacher "assault on a public servant"

Im not gonna lie, there is a huge discrepency in Texas courts. That kid went through Travis County courts which are the MOST liberal in the state of Texas. I still dont see racism unless there is ample proof brought that the judge that heared and sentenced stuff differently.,

They bring up the arson case, but depending on what she was actually convicted of, that crime is either a lot more serious or a lot less serious.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006

Was the 2nd teenager white or black?

Edit: read it again.. wow, the teenager caused injury requiring one of the teachers to have surgery... This 2nd teenager also needs to go to jail regardless.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Here is an article for some added context that the Chicago Tribune chose to leave out of the story.

<snip>

SOURCE

That really doesn't add much except that:
1. The prosecutor sought the same punishment in the case of the arsonist. Apparently it was the judge who didn't think arson warrants the same punishment as pushing a hall monitor?
2. The prosecutor thinks the mother is a bad influence on the girl.
3. They don't agree that it is fair to compare the case of the adult who got in an accident to the kid who pushed the hall monitor, because the adult is an adult and the kid is a kid. :confused: I'm curious about that one - why was the guy charged with negligent homicide? Neither article says, and that's an important detail.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Texas State law says:

Uh instead of just looking up cases, actually read them. The kid made no contact originally with the teacher in the second case. There is a distinction between striking someone, and trying to. Contact was made after the teacher made contact. While the resulting injuries were much more serious, the teacher is partly to blame for said injuries. The law is kinda whacky.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs

<snip>

SOURCE

That really doesn't add much except that:
1. The prosecutor sought the same punishment in the case of the arsonist. Apparently it was the judge who didn't think arson warrants the same punishment as pushing a hall monitor?
2. The prosecutor thinks the mother is a bad influence on the girl.
3. They don't agree that it is fair to compare the case of the adult who got in an accident to the kid who pushed the hall monitor, because the adult is an adult and the kid is a kid. :confused: I'm curious about that one - why was the guy charged with negligent homicide? Neither article says, and that's an important detail.

Negligent homicide is anytime you are the cause of an auto accident where someone dies.