Justice Department wants to defend Trump in E. Jean Carroll defamation lawsuit

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
The US Justice Department, in an extraordinary move on Tuesday, asked to take over the defense of President Donald Trump in a defamation lawsuit filed against him by E. Jean Carroll, a woman who has accused Trump of sexual assault.
While the alleged sexual assault occurred long before Trump became President, the Justice Department argued that it must take over because Trump's comments spurring the defamation lawsuit came while he was in office. The move -- defending Trump at taxpayer expense -- comes amid ongoing criticism that the Justice Department has acted in the President's personal interests.

Cnn link

The DOJ is going to defend dipshit from a civil suit that happened before he was president?

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
As long as there are 34 Republican Senators, Trump can do whatever he wants.

Vote early, in person. If you have to vote by mail, TURN THE BALLOT IN INSIDE YOUR PRECINCT.

Freedom ain't free.

Reactions: dank69 and Homerboy

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If members of DOJ have an ounce of integrity they will walk off the job.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
this is about getting her suit dismissed. there's a case the 6th circuit just decided involving the covington catholic guys and tweets made by liz warren and rep haaland that determined the tweets were made in the scope of their employment by the united states in service to their constituents, and so, therefore, the question fell under the tort claims act, which made the united states the defendant. the US has not waived sovereign immunity for defamation. the upshot is that the case would be subject to immediate dismissal.

With this understanding of the scope of a Congressmember's employment and how tweets can fit into her duties, we return to Kentucky law. Applying that law, it is clear that the tweets were made in furtherance of the interests of Defendants' employers. See Patterson, 172 S.W.3d at 369. They were calculated to serve the interests of Defendants' constituents (i.e., employers) by informing them of Defendants' views regarding a topical issue and related legislation. This was accomplished through considerably more appropriate and commonplace means—messages sent via Twitter—than the attempted repossession via handgun in Patterson. Yet the Patterson court still found that firing a gun at a delinquent purchaser's car was within the scope of his employment because the violent conduct was at least incidental to his authorized work. Id. at 372. The nexus between Defendants' tweets and their constituents' interests in understanding their views is considerably greater than that.

so the question is whether a) the president is a government employee for purposes of the FTCA as modified by the westfall act, and b) whether his comments were in the scope of his employment (iow, messaging his constituents).

Nov 29, 2006
Seems a pretty straight forward defense for Trump, no? I mean after all, "he's never met her before". He sure hasn't met a lot of people.

1599663576523.png

Mar 11, 2004
If members of DOJ have an ounce of integrity they will walk off the job.

Nah, they'd just not enable this to happen. Walking away just means Turmp will fill those positions with even more corrupt people or not fill them at all which will enable corruption elsewhere to go unchecked.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I hope a federal judge tells them to go fuck themselves and throws it back to NY state, where it belongs.

Barr never fails to astound. I hope he’s corporally mortificating the shit out of himself tonight. He’s just as, and possibly even more corrupt than that criminal scumbag pretending to be President.

Reactions: tweaker2

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This needs to be a Biden ad 24/7...

This is a humongous abuse of power!. What a striking insult to the people of America. One step closer to making the head of state inseparable from the state. The basic definition of fascism.

Where the fuck are the Republicans rushing to condemn this action? Where are the “limited government” protesters clamoring for Trump and Barr's head for allowing the taxpayers to fund his personal legal defense.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
I am wondering why a single rape case isnt a state case unless it he was a serial rapist... opps just answered my own question..

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Is this one of those threads that is mysteriously invisible to his apologists?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It’s brilliant of course! Declare it’s carol vs the US because he defamed her while acting as president and because US government employees cannot be sued for defamation the case will be thrown out.

Trump has the best lawyers, mainly because we the people pay for them. I want my money back.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
And just when I thought they couldn't be more openly corrupt...

Wait...there’s more!

Deutsche Bank AG, whose global operation is under the microscope of U.S. lawmakers and criminal investigators, has enlisted an old friend of U.S. Attorney General William Barr to help the bank navigate the political waters in Washington.

The decision came from Frankfurt, where the bank’s supervisory board led by chairman Paul Achleitner has retained Robert Kimmitt, according to people familiar with the matter. Kimmitt, 72, is a lawyer and former U.S. ambassador to Germany whose friendship with Barr dates to the 1980s.