Just, Whoa!

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
it don't suprise me none
the athlon 64 can give you similar performance today

I kinda like the old 386/486 SX boards. There was a math coprocessor socket on many of them. My IBM PS/2 had one. When you put the coprocessor in, it kinda became a DX instead of an SX.

But from what the inquirer says, the Tejas chips may be in a stackable design. They mentioned also that this was not set in stone.

POSTED BY SOULKEEPER:
it don't suprise me none
the athlon 64 can give you similar performance today

So your saying that todays Athlon 64 FX51? which only marginally ousts the current P4 in most areas an even less of a lead over the 2 month away P4EE, can compete with a 5 to 7 Gigahertz Pentium 5? Where did you get that idea?
That's like saying an AMD K6/2 offers equivalent performance with the Tualitan Pentium3 chips due out in 1 year.

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting article even if it is inaccurate. Oh, I also read that a spokesman from AMD, (sorry cant think of his name) said that we(AMD) are planning on straying from the current pricing of AMD processors. Or something to that effect. Looks like AMD wants a little more turkey and gravy on their Thanksgiving tables this year. LOL I guess they were tired of eating sawdust... :)

I hope to find more information on this subject. Will post if I find any.

GM

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
YATFBGT: Yet another flame bait Gorillaman thread.

"I know it's the inquirer, but..."
rolleye.gif

SectorZero

Sep 29, 2002
I hear it's gonna use AMD's 64 bit instruction set.
Apparently Microsoft laid down the law and told Intel they're not going to support two separet 64 bit instruction sets.

Your a real winner DBZ. Am I not allowed to post an Intel enthusiast thread?
If you don't like it, stay out. It's as easy as that.

P.S. the only one who would turn this "into" a flamebait it you bud.

Thank for trying to cause trouble "again"....

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Anyone else have any info on the P5? Post it if you get it.

POSTED BY GORILLAMAN: Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting article even if it is innacurate. HELLO!!

GM

Originally posted by: SectorZero
I hear it's gonna use AMD's 64 bit instruction set.
Apparently Microsoft laid down the law and told Intel they're not going to support two separet 64 bit instruction sets.

AMD added SSE2 instructions to their new CPU's. I don't see why Intel shouldn't follow AMD's path once in a while.
It would have been nice if Intel added 3Dnow instuctions to their processors at the time. But I don't know if it was a licensing thing. The worst thing that could happen is that AMD and Intel go in different directions with proprietary instructions sets. Microsoft will hopefully keep them in line.

GM

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Well while the INQ is not the most reliable for "100%" accuracy they usually do get some part of it right.....With that point any part of that thread could sound very good, don't you think???

I think the 5-7ghz is a little whacked considering they say it will start to be internally tested this Jan 04 then out to market in 6 months...Remember we are not even to 4ghz, and if the prescott built on .09 process has huge heat issues now, how in the hell will they get to 5ghz?? It would have to be a total different architecture....

The FSB is ridiculous....I wonder what it would take in memory modules to supply the bandwidth the P4 would have...5 channel pc3200??? I don't think so....FSB will not drastically increase until the memory technology can catch up...DDRII will help but not that much!!!

User1001

Golden Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Duvie
Well while the INQ is not the most reliable for "100%" accuracy they usually do get some part of it right.....With that point any part of that thread could sound very good, don't you think???

I think the 5-7ghz is a little whacked considering they say it will start to be internally tested this Jan 04 then out to market in 6 months...Remember we are not even to 4ghz, and if the prescott built on .09 process has huge heat issues now, how in the hell will they get to 5ghz?? It would have to be a total different architecture....

The FSB is ridiculous....I wonder what it would take in memory modules to supply the bandwidth the P4 would have...5 channel pc3200??? I don't think so....FSB will not drastically increase until the memory technology can catch up...DDRII will help but not that much!!!

I think that the 5-7ghz is correct considering Intel's roadmap show 10 ghz in 2005.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Dude, you crapped in all my threads, so now you know how it feels.

Any part of the article 'could' be true, but it is so far in the future as to make it irrelevant IMHO.

This reminds me of the 'When do I get my 20Ghz processor?' thread.

Oh, and to add balance, W000t, 5-7Ghz, yay! I'd love to see a P5 at 7Ghz, who wouldn't?

Yeah, I think when they said 5 to 7 GHz, they meant the Pentium 5 with the Tejas core. I don't think they meant the Prescott.
Intel had 10GHz transistors running in their labs last year. Not whole CPU's mind you, just a portion of transistors for testing. That's 10
GHZ on air. I was amazed when I read the article but kind of dwindled down towards the end when I heard it was only in the very early testing stages.

And as far as the Prescott disapating 105 watts of heat, thats nuts. Intel thought so to and they are working on refining their 90nm process.
The good thing about the die shrink is that their will be a much higher yield of cores per wafer which translates to keeping the cost down. And they are switching to 300mm wafers from 200mm along with their migration to 90nm. More cost savings. This might mean that Intel can have cpu's cheaper than AMD's ever rising prices. How the tables turn.

GM

DBZ, this is my last acknowledgement of you. I apologize if you think I "crapped in your threads". The reason I may have done that is because I resented your whole attitude in your posts and it pissed me off. If you can handle it, you go your way, and I will go mine. Deal?
Unless you have something constructive and sensible to say, I will no longer reply to your posts as of now.

Sorry to have to do this.
Regards

GM

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: User1001

I think that the 5-7ghz is correct considering Intel's roadmap show 10 ghz in 2005.

Well I think the roadmap hasn't been updated...Think of how far we went this year.....Intel sat on its hands waiting to see what AMD had. Many new Intel could have pushed out 3.4ghz p4c or maybe some 3.6ghz p4cs but decided to wait andnow prescott will come in at those speeds. I would be surprised to see 5ghz by end of next year....

Nobody, not Intel nor AMD sits on their hands and waits. Ever. They are constantly working on newer faster better technology. If they didn't, they would die.
It's like a swimming shark. You know what happens if it stops swimming. The only way we will see 5GHz from Intel is if AMD forces them to do it. Which I believe they will. The "One Up" game will see to that.

It's too bad there are only two competitors for desktop/laptop processors. It would be so great if there were more of them. I cant count Transmetta or Cyrix because they currently cant come up with anything to best a PIII or K7 yet.

GM

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: gorillaman
Nobody, not Intel nor AMD sits on their hands and waits. Ever. They are constantly working on newer faster better technology. If they didn't, they would die.
It's like a swimming shark. You know what happens if it stops swimming. The only way we will see 5GHz from Intel is if AMD forces them to do it. Which I believe they will. The "One Up" game will see to that.

GM

While I agree Intel was not sitting on their hands they were definitely changing their release plans. Why not??? They had the best chip available at the time. why would they want to ramp up the speeds and keep besting their own chip and undercut the money they could still make on the current best chip??? It is a business. I don't think Intel ever wants to just blow AMD out of the water. They like to stay close and react to one another. They both do it all the time.....

I also agree they have 5ghz capable chips or designs I just dont think they can go from 3.2ghz now to that point as quickly as the article states or would want to for a business and profitability stake...

Exactly, I agree 100%. They are businesses and want to milk as much as they can from consumers. We would still be in the "stone age" if not for this competition of Intel and AMD.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Interesting to say the least...

Stackable chips!!!!
Hey Wingnutz... suggest to the "powers that be" that Intel code name this processor "Pringles" if there's any truth to this stackable chip rumor =)

User1001

Golden Member
May 24, 2003
Maybe I have the idea wrong (probably), but wouldn't stacking make it difficult to cool each individual chip.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Maybe I have the idea wrong (probably), but wouldn't stacking make it difficult to cool each individual chip.

I would think so as well, or that the lower prescott "heater" will damage the above stacked chip as all the heat is transfer to it. It becomes the heatsink!!!

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000

Yeah, and the Katmai was supposed to hit 1GHz, remember?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Cerb

Yeah, and the Katmai was supposed to hit 1GHz, remember?

Wasn't it predicted back in 2002 that when the P4 hit 3 Ghz that it would be close to 4 by the end of this year?

Well, the P4EE will be released at 3.2 and supposedly 3.4 and 3.6. Prescott will be very close to 4 GHz, not at first release but will reach 4 GHz. I'd say that the estimate was very close for 4 GHz at the end of 2003..

And Katmai topped off at 450 MHz right? The last of the PII's.