Just when you thought America's progressives were funny, Bolivia raises the bar.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
But I reject that choice. I'm going to go way out on a limb and say categorically that we can keep capitalism without necessarily murdering gay people.

Well, Republican's show no interest in doing so. Who should we count on? Martians? Who is offering real world ideas beside liberals? Conservatives are 100% useless as they are off on some kooky conspiracy kick at the moment.

Handing our 200+ year old liberal democracy the people fought tooth and nail for over to private industry is not an option either.

Last edited by a moderator:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Well, Republican's show no interest in doing so. Who should we count on? Martians? Who is offering real world ideas beside liberals? Conservatives are 100% useless as they are off on some kooky conspiracy kick at the moment.

Handing our 200+ year old liberal democracy the people fought tooth and nail for over to private industry is not an option either.
Not sure if you're arguing that Republicans insist on murdering gay people or don't want to keep capitalism, but either way, WTF? Conservatives and to a lesser extent Republicans are the ONLY people in American politics wanting to keep capitalism; Democrats want government takeover of virtually everything.

Not sure how your second paragraph should be taken. The 200+ year old liberal democracy the people fought to establish in no way resembles today's liberal democracy, as only during the twentieth century did we suddenly discover government's right to reach into one person's pocket to fill another person's pocket, thus spawning our entitlement mentality (as opposed to private charity.) The federal government as originally envisioned and enacted was quite small and limited, and regulated virtually nothing. Thus the deviation between our forefathers' vision and our reality is largely due to the increase in power of government, not corporations. Don't get me wrong, I like our country the way it is, but if we're going to err on one side I want it to be on the side of the private sector, that sector which creates the wealth and which has no power to use force to compel me to fund it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Lets see, capitalism is the enemy of the environment, not the communist nations that are absolutely laying waste to their environment.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Sounds like some Bolivians would like to strip humans of their humanity. Those poor ignorant asses.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Environmentalism is a pretty widespread ideology these days. Sure there are some crazies that think you have to end capitalism but the real minority is those on the American right that think humans aren't changing the environment when everybody else recognizes we've been doing it for thousands of years.

Anyway, Asians have learned that a market economy is the way forward. The South Americans seem to want to replay failed second-world experiments. We don't need to worry about the Soviet Union anymore so let them flail about but let's not bail them out when their nonsense fails like in Venezuela.