Just the FAQs

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Why do companies release FAQ lists on launch day? If these questions were asked frequently prior to release, it tells me that even employees of the company don't know how the thing works or that it works in a stupid fashion. I suspect that the questions in question have never been asked by anyone and that the list exists only because the company was too lazy to write a coherent manual.

<== triggered by inappropriate language

Nov 20, 2009
I find that FAQs by manufacturers to be a joke. Written by the company's least-technical and least-qualified individual because the decisionmakers are on their level of understanding technology.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You can actually read the FAQ?
all the products i have gotten, the FAQ was translated from chinese to english using google translate, and is completely unreadable in most cases.

I wish they would of hired real translators to translate one sheet of paper.
Im sure they could find a cost effective solution by third partying the translation.
But instead we get something where the verbs are presented before the nouns because that's how it was originally spoken in the asian language.
I guess they all assume we are like typical americans and do not RTFM.
Well typically i don't RTFM, unless its something really expensive or really complicated.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I find that FAQs by manufacturers to be a joke. Written by the company's least-technical and least-qualified individual because the decisionmakers are on their level of understanding technology.

My favourite is ridiculous troubleshooting guides.

Problem: "product does not turn on"
Possible cause: "it's not plugged in"
Solution: "plug it in"

Nov 8, 2012
It's just like when calling a bank and they ask "Do you want to check your balance?"

Yeah, sure bud - I fucking looked up and dialed the number to a bank just to get my balance information.

But... then I realize.... theres still plenty of old farts that probably still do that shit. Just like releasing a FAQ of "Hey, here are some dumb fuck questions - Hopefully you read these first before you clog-up our support phone employees with useless calls"

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

lol there is also this..

Problem: Red light is on.
Possible Cause: Issue with device.
Solution: Reset device.

LOL... im sure we have already tried that many times and finally gave up, hence why we are reading the manual.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

Man as crazy as it sounds that is a very common problem outside of a place like this. I used to date a girl who worked in the tech support department for MediaCom and that was one of the first questions she had to ask the customer. I was dumbfounded by this and asked her why such a silly question needed to be asked and she told me a lot of times that solved the issue.....

My own personal experience tells me that is probably true. My brother isn't very tech savvy and one time he rearranged his office but was having trouble getting connected to the internet afterwards so he asked me to come over and check it out. I was at his place for less than ten minutes before I discovered the problem. He had plugged in his calculator instead of his modem....once I plugged in the modem he was back up and running.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Man as crazy as it sounds that is a very common problem outside of a place like this. I used to date a girl who worked in the tech support department for MediaCom and that was one of the first questions she had to ask the customer. I was dumbfounded by this and asked her why such a silly question needed to be asked and she told me a lot of times that solved the issue.....

My own personal experience tells me that is probably true. My brother isn't very tech savvy and one time he rearranged his office but was having trouble getting connected to the internet afterwards so he asked me to come over and check it out. I was at his place for less than ten minutes before I discovered the problem. He had plugged in his calculator instead of his modem....once I plugged in the modem he was back up and running.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah it seems lot of people are dumb. I worked tech support too. I lost track of how many people would turn off the monitor and consider that a shutdown. Hospital was the worse for that. You would think nurses and doctors would be smarter but they were some of the dumbest. Teachers were a close 2nd.

Kind of boggles my mind really. I don't know a lot about cars but I at least make an effort to narrow down the issue before I call a mechanic. I'm not going to bring it in and say "it does not work" lol.