Just spent a redonk amount of money on a Peloton bike

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Hahaha, that's amazing!

Honestly though, if you look at long-term healthcare costs, anything that motivates you to exercise NOW (and do so consistently) will create health benefits LATER, which will save you money down the road because your body will be in much better shape as you go older than it would if you were to NOT exercise. Not to mention that the cost ($2,245 plus $39/mo = $468/yr for the service) really isn't that bad, in perspective, when compared to hiring a personal trainer in meatspace (which goes for $300/mo at my local gym for two sessions a week, or $3,600/yr - which is less than the bike with the first year of service - although PT prices vary widely). Granted, pedaling a stationary bike you already have at home is free, but that's not the point if you're struggling with self-motivation!

Your body is either a prison or a freedom vehicle, depending on how you treat it (barring any unsolvable medical issues). If you struggle with motivating yourself to exercise on your own & aren't willing to spend any time, money, or effort on getting help, then that simply shows your level of commitment. And sure, we can argue financial limitations, but that's kind of a crock too - you can pick up a used exercise bike for $50 on Craigslist just about anywhere (or probably for free, if your buddy has one & you trade him a pizza & pick it up for him, as he's probably using it as a clothes hanger, hahaha), there are tons of side hustles like Uber Eats delivery available...where there's a will, there's a way, and where there's not, there's an excuse.

I understand the dad's perspective, because it's a truckload of money up-front for an exercise machine, plus a high monthly fee for service (which could get you subscriptions Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, and Prime instead! hahaha). However, your health is not a frivolous thing, as exercise affects your mood, your weight affects your self-esteem, and your overall fitness affects your well-being long-term. If getting plugged into a pay-for network motivates you to actually do it, then I'd argue that, if it's within budget, then it's money well-spent. Versus say, cocaine, which is kind of the opposite idea of exercising, hahaha.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Also I just got the new VirZoom adapter ($100 for the adapter plus $15/mo for the service), which turns any stationary exercise bike into a VR-capable bike:

https://www.virzoom.com/

You need an upright or recumbent stationary exercise bike, plus a compatible VR headset. The Oculus Go is currently available as a standalone headset ($200 to $250) & the Oculus Quest is coming out this summer as another standalone option ($400). I have an Oculus Go & a recumbent bike. The service gives you two things:

1. Access to all of the games (half a dozen right now - tank game, biking game, etc.)
2. Access to Google Streetview biking (basically bike anywhere in the world)

I'll be setting it up this week & am anxious to see how Streetview works!

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Q
Service is $40 a month for unlimited users/rides. You setup distinct profiles on the machine. It's about what I would pay for a no thrills gym pass for the two of us. Technically the bike works without a subscription. You just lose access to the live metrics. You can pay $13 a month for live class streaming to an iPad without the leaderboard reporting and data logging. You can use foot pods to my Garmin to track if you got sick of paying each month.

We all choose to spend our money diff ways, sounds like your convinced its needed so no point worrying about it. I've never had a gym membership and my only issue is there are only 24 hours in a day so time is limited. Me personally I'd have bought a elliptical/weight set and giant screen tv to watch while running. (I cover the screen and giggle as I watch my fav show all the time covering the bikes screen so I'm not over thinking how long or fast am going. But u keep mentioning motivation so she sounds very competitive.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
I am really interested in something like this. Not sure of your size personally, but I am 6'5" so I am curious how well it would fit. I've got issues with my left foot which is keeping me from losing the weight I'd desperately like to lose so I can actually be around when my kids get older. I live in NJ and there's a showroom nearby so I may have to go take a look and hopefully they don't laugh me out of the store...

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I've got issues with my left foot
Probably not your problem but mine has been a bitch for the last 9 mo or so. Short story, that 2e I've been wearing my adult life has become too narrow and I've been mashing the metatarsal bones together. Got measured, 4e, 6 weeks out and I'm about 95%.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Probably not your problem but mine has been a bitch for the last 9 mo or so. Short story, that 2e I've been wearing my adult life has become too narrow and I've been mashing the metatarsal bones together. Got measured, 4e, 6 weeks out and I'm about 95%.
Not sure if it's a shoe thing as they feel ok but for a bit of backstory, I am not a small person and was initially told it was gout at a CityMD (fast food style doctor). Went to my physician and they told me it could be something where the bone is causing issues with muscles/tendons in my foot through to much pressure. There's a name for it, but it escapes me right now. Need to go to a podiatrist at some point, but if it's a long term issue, I am thinking this lower stress exercise may be something that would be a better solution than walking/running (if i ever get to that).

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Ice and DMSO got me through. Orths sent me to "the walking company" for a metatarsal insert + arch support. That's about the same time I realized my foot had spread.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
My pain is very focused along the outside of my left foot, most notably right in that fleshy spot below the pinky toe. Hurts most when i try and do longer walks to try and get some form of exercise in. Dr. will help with the foot, but Peloton may help foot plus fat.