Just some dissucutuons about my CPU and beyond.

phreakwarz

Aug 18, 2014
Hi everyone, Been doing some reading about some of the new CPUs the last couple of days. I see that intel has a 8 core and AMD. I have been reading and trying to figure out how these AMD Ryzen cpus are classified with intels (i3,i5,i7). Then I read where some are using i5's to game with. Anyway I think to myself if my i7 4790k is still a good cpu? Never had an issue playing a game. With this said and I'm sure there is way more to it all, should I think about a upgrade being in the cpu, MB and ram after I get a 1070ti gpu? As I said I don't know much about AMD cpus anymore. Thanks.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Short answer: No, the 4790k is still a great CPU for gaming.

Long answer: Now is not a good time to be in the market. Intel's newest just came out but are hard to find, and many of it's CPU's are overpriced due to shortages. Also, there is a lot of hype about what Zen 2 will bring next year (should be first half 2019, but we'll see..). 4C/8T CPU's are still good for any game AFAIK. with a 4C/4T CPU like an older i5, you could make the case for an upgrade if you played a few games. Battlefield comes to mind. I vote no, don't spend money just for the sake of spending money and having new toys to play with ;).

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Yup, i agree with the rest. There is no reason to upgrade that great Haswell cpu yet.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
What is your budget?
With either upgrade option you are looking at an entirely new system. With that in mind, waiting for a significant performance uplift is the right choice for most.
AMD's next generation CPUs are likely to be your best choice when they arrive, since Intel's current lineup has been pushed as far as it can realistically go with the 9900k. The 9900k will still hold strong for a while, but over the next 2-3 years we're looking at moves to DDR5 and PCIe4/5 (AMD is going to PCIe4 with its next generation).
Right now really isn't a great time to be buying, though it is a very interesting time to be speculating about tech improvements; thanks AMD.