Question Just saw that AMD announced that shipments dropped about 16% - will prices drop?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Reactions: trivik12

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Not supporting DDR4 in Rembrandt (and maybe AM5) is looking like a big mistake. You can see why AMD is doing that multi gen branding with 7000 series mobile because OEMs want new ("new") products. But those will mostly be Cezanne and Barcelo because they support DDR4.
I'm not sure of the relevancy of the whole DDR4 vs DDR5 matter to the topic. I thought we are getting closer to reaching price and availability parity?

How do you build up 1/2 year inventory in such a dynamic field? This still seems unreal.
Increasing production to match the demand during the pandemic, now having to keep already produced stuff in inventory as the demand fell? The CB article about ASUS mentions that at the same time last year they had 114 days of inventory, so inventory size is not fixed but wholly dependent on how fast they are able to sell through finished products while adapting production output to changing demands.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I'm not sure of the relevancy of the whole DDR4 vs DDR5 matter to the topic. I thought we are getting closer to reaching price and availability parity?

It's getting closer but it's still more expensive. I think OEMs like having the option of both plus they might have a glut of DDR4 sitting around.

Cezanne is hardly a bad product so you would think it wouldn't be an issue but OEMs have this perception that people don't want to buy "old" generation products unless it's cheap. Hence the rebrand. I guess they have to wait until the existing inventory clears however.

It's good that AMD has options for the wafers. The PS5 is suddenly getting a lot easier to acquire and they can absorb N6 wafers now too.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Further details are coming out that only the high end AM5 CPUs like the 7950X are selling well! The 7600X not so well!
Makes a lot of sense. Those that can afford to completely change their MB/RAM/CPU platform are going for the high-end. Everyone else has too much invested in their current platform and can't afford the changeover. Bad economy gonna bad economy.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
i think the cooling requirements turns off alot of people. AMD should have defaulted to 65 and 95 watts with a much thinner heat spreader like previously and included a cooler. 170+ watts is fine for those who wants to enable it in the bios but it shouldnt be the default. The extra cost of cooling takes the cost up a bit oo high for me right now. I cant reuse my 7 yo case due to the airflow that currently house my 5900x. If i get a 8 core 7000 series, i'll be within my thermo budget but losing 4 cores feels like a step backwards. 12 core plus now i got to deal with 170 watts

Reactions: 13Gigatons

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
i think the cooling requirements turns off alot of people. AMD should have defaulted to 65 and 95 watts with a much thinner heat spreader like previously and included a cooler. 170+ watts is fine for those who wants to enable it in the bios but it shouldnt be the default. The extra cost of cooling takes the cost up a bit oo high for me right now. I cant reuse my 7 yo case due to the airflow that currently house my 5900x. If i get a 8 core 7000 series, i'll be within my thermo budget but losing 4 cores feels like a step backwards. 12 core plus now i got to deal with 170 watts
Buy what you want and set it to 65 watts. Did you see what my 7950x did with 55 watts ??

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
For those who have waited since Zen 2 or older, why wouldn't you wait for Black Friday deals and order after another month and a half of falling prices, unless your PC is literally falling apart or you have a time-sensitive task?

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Buy what you want and set it to 65 watts. Did you see what my 7950x did with 55 watts ??

LOL, I'm greatful I learned it's possible from your mistake! i probably will do that when MB hits the $200 mark and the 3D versions are available . It's a toss-up between upgrading to a 7900x or 7950x 3D. I got to have more cores to feel like an upgrade and i suspect the chip will run much cooler with the 3D version as the heat spreader should be thinner.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
LOL, I'm greatful I learned it's possible from your mistake! i probably will do that when MB hits the $200 mark and the 3D versions are available . It's a toss-up between upgrading to a 7900x or 7950x 3D. I got to have more cores to feel like an upgrade and i suspect the chip will run much cooler with the 3D version as the heat spreader should be thinner.
Why do you think it will run cooler? The 5800X3D is a hot beast. Not sure the 3D 7000 series will be any better.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Why do you think it will run cooler? The 5800X3D is a hot beast. Not sure the 3D 7000 series will be any better.

The video from der8auer seems to suggest that the thick heatspreader is the main reason why the chip runs so hot. With the extra cache, the CPU should be thicker thus making the heatspreader thinner...at least that's what I'm hoping....wait and see.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Not supporting DDR4 in Rembrandt (and maybe AM5) is looking like a big mistake. You can see why AMD is doing that multi gen branding with 7000 series mobile because OEMs want new ("new") products. But those will mostly be Cezanne and Barcelo because they support DDR4.

What happened to that motherboard I saw from around 5 months back, where it said you could install either a stick of DDR4 or a stick of DDR5?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Further details are coming out that only the high end AM5 CPUs like the 7950X are selling well! The 7600X not so well!

They probably make fewer 7950X chips, so it's not hard to believe they'd seem to be in scarcer supply. The 7700X having a more reasonable price probably takes some sales from the 7600X as well, whereas the 5600X was such a good deal compared to the 5800X that even when every other Zen 3 CPU was out of stock you could still pick up a 5800X.

At least AMD can adjust their product mix. There might be some chiplets artificially cut down to a 7600X that could go in a 7700X or a 7900X instead. I wouldn't be worried about a temporary dip in stock prices. AMD is in a good position with their products, and as long as they maintain that they stock prices will bounce back. Too many people get panicked at the first sign of bad news.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
They probably make fewer 7950X chips, so it's not hard to believe they'd seem to be in scarcer supply. The 7700X having a more reasonable price probably takes some sales from the 7600X as well, whereas the 5600X was such a good deal compared to the 5800X that even when every other Zen 3 CPU was out of stock you could still pick up a 5800X.

At least AMD can adjust their product mix. There might be some chiplets artificially cut down to a 7600X that could go in a 7700X or a 7900X instead. I wouldn't be worried about a temporary dip in stock prices. AMD is in a good position with their products, and as long as they maintain that they stock prices will bounce back. Too many people get panicked at the first sign of bad news.
The 7950x and 7700x at Amazon have no warnings. The 7900x and the 7600x say "only xx number left in stock".