Just saw Peter Arnett on Iraq TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nergee

Jan 25, 2000
I just want to play flag football with Arnett only he's on the other team. Just once.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Bleep
I think that he is on the wrong side. National Geographic has some answering to do.

Bleep

After reading the CNN article, I'm not really sure what the issue is. Sure, to say that the first plan has "failed" is really a matter of opinion, but I think everyone would agree that the initial expectations have not been realized.

gump47371

Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Iwentsouth
He made up a fake story about US troops using nerve gas and got fired from CNN.

He is just hates US troops.

Thought he used to work for CNN. I have a book about the Gulf War, wasn't he one of the reporters that was captured?

Just saw he comments, complete idiot. Something along the lines of "growing protests"? If you use all the figures that these protestors put out, maybe, MAYBE 1 million protesting all over the world. 6 Billion and change in the world, not even .1% of the population. Never have seen such a small percent of the population get so much coverage.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
I think that he is on the wrong side. National Geographic has some answering to do.

Bleep

After reading the CNN article, I'm not really sure what the issue is. Sure, to say that the first plan has "failed" is really a matter of opinion, but I think everyone would agree that the initial expectations have not been realized.

The poster makes a valid point. Contributing to the Iraqi agitprop machine and having an American face broadcast all through Iraq saying the US has failed may stiffen the Iraqi resolve...it may even cost American lives but the important point is..erm well I guess I don't really know what the point was but I'm sure Arnett had good reasons for selling out the troops.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: NightTrain

Bleep

The poster makes a valid point. Contributing to the Iraqi agitprop machine and having an American face broadcast all through Iraq saying the US has failed may stiffen the Iraqi resolve...it may even cost American lives but the important point is..erm well I guess I don't really know what the point was but I'm sure Arnett had good reasons for selling out the troops.

How has he sold out anyone? It's not as if the Iraqi leadership is blind to the rest of the world. Al Jazeera, CNN, BBC, and any other Global News source is likely monitored religiously.

Is there maybe more than just the CNN article with quotes(preferably as a transcript) from this guy?

gump47371

Dec 18, 2001

Bleep

Yeah, he had a reason. Not a good one, but the reason is 3 words...

Regaining the spotlight.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
In a transcript of Arnett's comments during the interview, he seemed to praise Iraq's Ministry of Information, saying it has "allowed me and many other reporters to cover 12 whole years since the Gulf War with a degree which we appreciate and that is continuing today."
WallStreet Journal Writer

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
How has he sold out anyone? It's not as if the Iraqi leadership is blind to the rest of the world. Al Jazeera, CNN, BBC, and any other Global News source is likely monitored religiously.

26 million Iraqis are being told the US has failed by an American journalist. I don't think we are over there to libertate the Iraqi leadership.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Come on people, let's do it![/quote]

Maybe before you hang him you'd like to hear what he actually said, instead of what some person just paraphrased him as saying?

You scare me, man. How long before we actually start to see lynch mobs of angry patriots in the US, lynching anti-war people?[/quote]

Again I agree with you...
Maybe as someone asked "are you a distant relative of moonbeam.." I signed off as lunarray..
I should change into something...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan
In a transcript of Arnett's comments during the interview, he seemed to praise Iraq's Ministry of Information, saying it has "allowed me and many other reporters to cover 12 whole years since the Gulf War with a degree which we appreciate and that is continuing today."
WallStreet Journal Writer

What you bolded was the WallStreets "suggestion". What he said was, "allowed me and many other reporters to cover 12 whole years since the Gulf War with a degree which we appreciate and that is continuing today.", seems like "thanking" not "praising".

shrug

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
So does intentionally creating ready-made propaganda for the Iraqi war machine qualify as "providing...comfort for the enemy"? This chump *is* knowingly and willfully encouraging the Iraqi military to fight harder, an act that I would think could be considered at least mildly treasonous.

In view of this guy's long history of being a mouthpiece for hostile regimes and fabricating charges in order to smear the U.S. military I don't think revocation of citizenship would be out of line at this point.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

26 million Iraqis are being told the US has failed by an American journalist. I don't think we are over there to libertate the Iraqi leadership.

No, he said the original plan failed. If the US had failed, they'd be leaving Iraq as we speak/type.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

No, he said the original plan failed. If the US had failed, they'd be leaving Iraq as we speak/type.

Considering he has no access to the plan, I dont think he is qualified to call it a success or failure.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I expect a NON-Biased reporter to say something that clarifies the US mission ..

Giving the Iraqi DISInformaiton Devil soundbites that assist the enemy and their propaganda machine is disgusting.

When an American reporter tells the Iraqi Citizens that the US is FAILING then that MAKES THEM FEAR THAT SADDAM IS WINNING!

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I expect a NON-Biased reporter to say something that clarifies the US mission ..

Giving the Iraqi DISInformaiton Devil soundbites that assist the enemy and their propaganda machine is disgusting.

When an American reporter tells the Iraqi Citizens that the US is FAILING then that MAKES THEM FEAR THAT SADDAM IS WINNING!

AND IF SADDAM is winning then the Iraqis get REALLY scared and WILL NOT SURRENDER and will fight harder and harder

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: gump47371
Originally posted by: Iwentsouth
He made up a fake story about US troops using nerve gas and got fired from CNN.

He is just hates US troops.

Thought he used to work for CNN. I have a book about the Gulf War, wasn't he one of the reporters that was captured?

Just saw he comments, complete idiot. Something along the lines of "growing protests"? If you use all the figures that these protestors put out, maybe, MAYBE 1 million protesting all over the world. 6 Billion and change in the world, not even .1% of the population. Never have seen such a small percent of the population get so much coverage.

He was the one who brought the video to the world during the beginning of the air strikes and went about showing the world the bomb damage as a trade off the be allowed to continue showing the video to the world as the events continued.

His future, as does all reporters, rests on the unbiased or biased (depends) reporting of the facts as they are found... he is not to interpret the facts just report what he sees or he be no more... least ways in the US.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

Considering he has no access to the plan, I dont think he is qualified to call it a success or failure.

Whether it failed is really a matter of opinion. Like I said earlier, early expectations certainly haven't panned out. Um Qasr and Basra were expected to fall at Coalition troops arrival, some 20k(a few days after war started) Iraqi troops were expected to surrender.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Non-Biased, but clarifying the US mission at the same time? Wouldn't that then be Biased?

No where does he say that "Saddam is winning". He said the same thing that many are saying outside of Iraq, that being that the war plan has not worked as expected. Is he to be an agent of the US in order to be Objective?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Non-Biased, but clarifying the US mission at the same time? Wouldn't that then be Biased?

No where does he say that "Saddam is winning". He said the same thing that many are saying outside of Iraq, that being that the war plan has not worked as expected. Is he to be an agent of the US in order to be Objective?

When we are at war I would refuse to give facts that encourage and give strength to the enemy

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001

I won't even bother with his opinion of our progress or his knowledge of what our military planners had in mind.

The point that you don't seem to grasp is that there are 26 million people in Iraq who don't trust us to remove a brutal dictator that routinely executes anyone who challenges him. Making that populace believe we have failed (the distinction you draw matters little to the Iraqi people afraid for their lives and watching Saddam's henchmen already swaggering in the glow of victory) is not only a lie..but it is one that can only lead to more US casualties. It strengthens the resolve of those against us and the despair of those who want us to succeed.

It has been suggested that Arnett may be under duress:

Doesn't sound like it to me

"They're requiring no censorship at all. ... There are no minders around us when we broadcast. I'm sitting here in the hotel and ... we can talk on the phone freely," Arnett said.

Shame on anyone who defends scum like Arnett.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

Whether it failed is really a matter of opinion. Like I said earlier, early expectations certainly haven't panned out. Um Qasr and Basra were expected to fall at Coalition troops arrival, some 20k(a few days after war started) Iraqi troops were expected to surrender.

Whose expectations? The generals or the media?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
If he really said this then he is insane
"They're requiring no censorship at all. ... There are no minders around us when we broadcast. I'm sitting here in the hotel and ... we can talk on the phone freely," Arnett said.

Whenever I listen to NPR they ALWAYS REMIND us that the reporter we are about to listen to is CONSTANTLY stalked by Iraqi Military personnel and all actions are monitored..

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001

Picture an Iraqi populace seeing Arnett's interview and then this:

The Iraqis are swaggering. Eleven days after the start of the coalition operation to overthrow Saddam Hussein, official Iraqi statements are already sounding victorious.

In his daily briefing yesterday in Baghdad, the Iraqi army's spokesman, Gen Hazem al-Rawi, said: "The enemy's plans, based on a poor assessment of the will of the Iraqi people, have failed.

"On the 11th day of the attack on Iraq by criminal invaders, this is the true military situation on all fronts," he began.

"The enemy advance has stopped. We have inflicted heavy losses. Several hundred dead and more than a thousand wounded and we have destroyed more than 130 tanks and armoured vehicles," he claimed.

"The Americans are asking for reinforcements. Everything points to their defeat."

What would you think if you were one of them?

Arnett's comments back that ridiculous view of reality to the hilt.

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
If he really said this then he is insane.
Actually, I think the Iraqi regime realizes that someone like Arnett--a reporter with decades of dishonest anti-U.S. and anti-military reporting under his belt--can be a useful sock puppet for them, in which case it's not out of the question that they would allow him to report solo. They know he is no threat to them.