Just saw Peter Arnett on Iraq TV

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think that he is on the wrong side. National Geographic has some answering to do.

Bleep

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Bleep

He just told the iraqi information person that the US warplan failed and that his reports of civilian casualties are helping the war protests.

:disgust:

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
lol, either he's a crackhead or some journalist just got screwed by the iraqi ministry of information; how ironic.

Iwentsouth

Oct 19, 2001
He made up a fake story about US troops using nerve gas and got fired from CNN.

He is just hates US troops.

CaptainBill

Aug 16, 2001
It pathetic to see somebody that is that high up in the journalism field is such a complete moron. He doesn't even have a clue...the U.S. is changing war plans? <---Does he have access to those plans? Nah, he's just flat out lying. Because of him, the Iraqi people have a stronger sense of nationalism <----Nah, they could care less if you died tommorrow, frankly either could:D

He should just stay there...sounds like he is rooting for them.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
If he is telling the Iraqis what US warplans are or is making up lies about US activities

then we should deny him return back into the US or try him for sedition.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: CJBongHit
"Baghdad Pete" is a tool of Iraq...pure and simple.

Definitely not a safe occupation right now. I guess he is used to job hopping, but body bag dodging is a whole new game.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
You know what that "interview" was, don't you? That was an employment interview for the Iraqi Ministry of Information.....;)

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Very interesting.

If he is putting on an act, he is doing a very good job of it. He is either sincere or has a hidden agenda. A hidden agenda is possible... journalists often 'infiltrate' to get a better story.

Either way, he doesn't seem to be under duress, so I don't think anyone has put a gun to his head.

Very interesting indeed.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As does NBC/MSNBC, who he is also reporting for

Well NBC is in between a rock and a hardplace on this one. When they threw out all the western reporters Peter Arnett was the only one left that was American and NBC cut a deal with him to report for them. It is obvious that they have made a huge mistake.
I am not sure but doesnt NBC and Nat Geo. belong to the same company?

Bleep

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Jimbo
Can't we just hang this guy?

Come on people, let's do it!

Maybe before you hang him you'd like to hear what he actually said, instead of what some person just paraphrased him as saying?

You scare me, man. How long before we actually start to see lynch mobs of angry patriots in the US, lynching anti-war people?

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Morph

Maybe before you hang him you'd like to hear what he actually said, instead of what some person just paraphrased him as saying?

You scare me, man. How long before we actually start to see lynch mobs of angry patriots in the US, lynching anti-war people?

I saw about 5 minutes of it.

You sound like you have a problem with right-wing death squads.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I saw about 5 minutes of it.

You sound like you have a problem with right-wing death squads.

LOL!

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
Lets look at the actual quotes:

"The first war plan has failed because of Iraqi resistance. Now they are trying to write another war plan," Arnett said. "Clearly, the American war planners misjudged the determination of the Iraqi forces."

Maybe "failed" was the wrong word for him to use, but I think anyone would agree that the US war plan is being adjusted due to the resistance being stronger than they anticipated.

Arnett said reports from Baghdad on civilians being killed are being shown in the United States, and "it helps those who oppose the war when you challenge the policy to develop their arguments."

No doubt that reports of Iraqi civilian casualties strengthens the case of anti-war protesters.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001

"The first war plan has failed because of Iraqi resistance. Now they are trying to write another war plan," Arnett said. "Clearly, the American war planners misjudged the determination of the Iraqi forces."

Maybe "failed" was the wrong word for him to use,

Gee yathink?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Doesn't sound like he's compromising the war effort, just chumming with the enemy. If he didn't they'd probably knife him.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
NBC News issued a statement supporting Arnett, saying that Arnett gave the interview to Iraqi TV as a "professional courtesy" and that his remarks "were analytical in nature and were not intended to be anything more."

This won't be the last "statement" they issue regarding this. Clip and save.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001

Here's another "quote":

Baghdad claims victory in a media offensive
By Adrien Jaulmes in Baghdad
(Filed: 31/03/2003)

The Iraqis are swaggering. Eleven days after the start of the coalition operation to overthrow Saddam Hussein, official Iraqi statements are already sounding victorious.

In his daily briefing yesterday in Baghdad, the Iraqi army's spokesman, Gen Hazem al-Rawi, said: "The enemy's plans, based on a poor assessment of the will of the Iraqi people, have failed."

Ironic isn't it? With Arnett around, the Iraq PR machine has nothing to do.

Baghdad claims victory in a media offensive