Just Rescued!

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Well.....what the profligate people who live in this building throw out, never ceases to amaze me. Or my BF..... or anyone I know.

I went to put the trash out on the service stairwell on my floor for collection.....came upon huge array of stuff; sitting on the floor, there was this this clearly sturdy, ginormously heavy old Dell Flat screen, not wide, square.

So, quick like a happy bunny, I snatched her up and ran carrying her to my apartment in my pass receiver mode.

Showed my friend. He made a face.:rolleyes: We looked, she was made in 2002; I had no idea any not CRT monitor could be this heavy. All mine have been, are..... light like feathers, Acers, reliable and VERY affordable. Some friends have better and waaaaay more expensive, but still not this well made!

And I was shocked at the good connectivity I saw this old thing has! Not just VGA but DVI.

Went Onto ebay, found A TON.....
Dell 1702FP 17" LCD Display Computer Monitor with VGA and Power Cable | eBay

..and THERE, I learned why I could not find a power port I recognized anywhere on the back of the puppy. This puppy has an ADAPTER! Like a lappy! So, I then ran back out, sure it was there somewhere..... and there in the red recycle bin, there it WAS! :biggrin: The brick belonging to my new puppy! Along with two old, heavy, well made surge strips I also took....I like spares.

So, I ran right back with the newly found brick and strips; I bet my BF who jus does not get stuff like this she would work perfectly, he said no way, I hooked her up to the brick, the 3 prong from the brick to my power strip ....and I won my dollar. :biggrin:
See terrible pic below.

So now, I have this newly rescued, wondrously heavy, tilts at any angle and not terrible specs....beautifully made---Apple monitor quality, old screen of the sort I have never seen before to use for a spare! I only wish it were wider.

Any second now.....I will come upon a working i74770 Haswell system in an ATX case! i.e., an Optiplex 2010 MT. ABSOLUTELY.:sneaky:

2rmmefd.jpg

Last edited:

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Two years ago, I found a perfectly functional Q6600 build, with a Geforce 8500 GT video card and Asus components. The owner had pulled the HDD, everything else was intact... It's now my bedroom HTPC (with a fanless Radeon, the 8500 fan was too noisy!)

Over the summer, just like you, I found a 19-inch 4:3 HP LCD monitor. Again, perfectly functional...

Last October, I found a Core 2 Duo 17-inch Dell laptop (running XP), along with all a docking station AND power adapter. The system was as slow as molasses, as it was full of spyware and other bugs. After a HDD format, it is now running Win7, quite nimbly and happily. To top it all off, the previous owner (typical college girl!) had sent all her documents to the Recycle Bin - but WITHOUT emptying it afterwards!...

A few years back, I posted here how I found an external HDD with people's private photos and personal information... Quite a funny discussion. Then it happened again; twice already.

So yes, people are fickle and silly, and they discard perfectly functional equipment all the time, when it's not even broken. They must overvalue their time's worth something fierce, but show complete disdain for their pockets and their personal lives! :p

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Two years ago, I found a perfectly functional Q6600 build, with a Geforce 8500 GT video card and Asus components. The owner had pulled the HDD, everything else was intact... It's now my bedroom HTPC (with a fanless Radeon, the 8500 fan was too noisy!)

Over the summer, just like you, I found a 19-inch 4:3 HP LCD monitor. Again, perfectly functional...

Last October, I found a Core 2 Duo 17-inch Dell laptop (running XP), along with all a docking station AND power adapter. The system was as slow as molasses, as it was full of spyware and other bugs. After a HDD format, it is now running Win7, quite nimbly and happily. To top it all off, the previous owner (typical college girl!) had sent all her documents to the Recycle Bin - but WITHOUT emptying it afterwards!...

A few years back, I posted here how I found an external HDD with people's private photos and personal information... Quite a funny discussion. Then it happened again; twice already.

So yes, people are fickle and silly, and they discard perfectly functional equipment all the time, when it's not even broken. They must overvalue their time's worth something fierce! :p

O!!!!! How much do I LOVE THIS ACCOUNT?:wub:

On a scale of 1-10........SEVENTEEN.:wub:

In my event, this time, the icing on the cake was, I was presented an example of how hardware/peripherals were made not even that long ago (this screen was made in Mexico, by the way), versus what we have become habituated to/settle for today. I am peripherally aware of this ongoing, but just lifting this thing form the floor, then examining it, then getting its documentation online....I was newly taken aback.

Plus, I won a dollar. :cool:
When someone throws out my Haswell Optiplex 2010 MT....I will post immediately!:cool:

Only thing, given what I see, most of my neighbors go Apple. Gotta be today's Apple....not last week's Apple.

I luv yr story.....also that you upgraded the lappy to run W7!!!! And, finding and rescuing THE Q6600 SYSTEM was a huge COUP!!! But, central to all such things, is someone's capacity to assess the item(s) objectively and accurately. (Yep, eyes by Marcel Proust.)

SO FUN, so life-affirming!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Half my spare parts come from the garbage. Whatever I think I might be able to use or use for friends systems in a discarded computer, I pull.

I and pained by profligacy, waste, and humans held hostage by commerce.

I now get.....so are you!

Last edited:

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I picked up 3 Viewsonic 2230wm 22" flat panels all with the same problem - won't power on anymore. All of them required recapping the power board - a total of 7 caps that cost me $10 for each kit on Ebay.

Having absolutely no soldering experience, I thought it was a good time to learn. Plan is to go with either 2 or all 3 LCDs on my workbench, and for $30 plus time invested, I thought it an exceptional deal for what I gain.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I picked up 3 Viewsonic 2230wm 22" flat panels all with the same problem - won't power on anymore. All of them required recapping the power board - a total of 7 caps that cost me $10 for each kit on Ebay.

Having absolutely no soldering experience, I thought it was a good time to learn. Plan is to go with either 2 or all 3 LCDs on my workbench, and for $30 plus time invested, I thought it an exceptional deal for what I gain.

What a fun project!!!!!:biggrin: Esp that it will grow your mini iron soldering chops.

When you say "picked up," from where??

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
When you say "picked up," from where??

My place of employment. When something fails, its my job to replace it. The boss doesn't want repaired hardware for staff, he prefers new due to its warranty. I've managed to buy a few from FS forums here and there, and also get them from co-workers who just toss them out and buy new.

I picked up a Dell 2007 WFPb 20" LCD, a higher end non-TN panel for free about a month ago - no issues at all, guy just wanted to de-clutter the garage.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-2007wfp/4505-3174_7-31783769.html#!

So far I have suffered about 2 soldering iron burns on the fingers, but it was to be expected until you get used to it. It's a real skill, and I'm amazed to watch the vids of how easily some pros make it look.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
My place of employment. When something fails, its my job to replace it. The boss doesn't want repaired hardware for staff, he prefers new due to its warranty. I've managed to buy a few from FS forums here and there, and also get them from co-workers who just toss them out and buy new.

Fascinating! I get where yr boss is coming from, and the mindset among most that pervades re throw it out and get new.....but all that creates a goldmine for some of us.

I picked up a Dell 2007 WFPb 20" LCD, a higher end non-TN panel for free about a month ago - no issues at all, guy just wanted to de-clutter the garage.

Luv this!!!!

So far I have suffered about 2 soldering iron burns on the fingers, but it was to be expected until you get used to it. It's a real skill, and I'm amazed to watch the vids of how easily some pros make it look.

Indeed it is.....esp the mini iron electronics soldering. I have skinny fingers am dexterous, so never burned, but I am lacking confidence, so I get nervous and tense.

I adore and relate to you are happily moved to these projects.....and have eyes by Marcel in identifying TREASURES others have only disdain for.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I just hope the LCDs fit my work bench area. The pegboard hutch over my bench is 63" wide, so a triple panel display will actually be WIDER than my desk !!

I keep thinking I should post these panels on CL, as I have no use for so many, but since they are QUALITY panels, not TN junk, I'd want fair value for them, and everyone on CL wants a bargain.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000

I wonder if that is what is happening with my old Samsung 930b, it was having a hard time power on and then now it wont. been sitting in my basement collecting dust

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
http://www.ccl-la.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32

Time to work on those solder skills, my friend. $12 and some effort on your part and it can be returned back to working order.

I too encourage Dahak in this.

But, as for me....

When I was little, my creative genius dad, taught me to solder. But silver solder with big, standard iron, flux, etc. I made a BRACELET.

I am all about seeing with eyes by Marcel, being inventive, doing away with the meaningless rules which only hobble and evolving BETTER... never being hostage to commerce, etc....inventing stuff, and all that. I have designed and built cabinetry and related things....fix the messed up systems (needlessly messed up) of friends.....but I dunno re ICBs.....they have so much STUFF ON THEM I do not understand. That kind of circuitry.

When I had I my RAM crisis in what is now my backup desktop....system was in total crisis, many symptoms, including muffled scream from the mobo...and far worse.....after I finally got what it was (after SEVEN HOUR ON THE FLOOR): a pair of sticks I got used, is true... had gotten very sick), I pulled them, then sat for very long time LOOKING AT THEM....struggled to find something I could SEE that was not normal. I like being able to see things with my actual eyes. When I can't, it creeps me out.

Plus, I think they, ICBs have their solders done by robots.

So my way is, if I need to say, replace a mobo, I would never think of trying to diagnose what went bad and fix it, I just go on eBay and find a tested pull for no money. Two friends insisted on new, so, given they paid for parts, I got new.

Just when I reseat a chip....I sacrifice my perfect nails and clean my hands with alcohol. For me, fixing electronics a whole other thing than addressing mechanical things. Or, my fav....working with wood.

Course, we could maybe start an ad hoc electronics SOLDERING CLUB!!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
i never found squat :(

I think most people don't! I am lucky that I live in an atypically run building where everyone must discard everything during certain hours on each floor in the given service stairwell for the porter to pick up.

Nothing is compacted nothing is burned.

And, some people have access to discarded stuff at work.

But, I think you are in a majority!!!

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I have one of these in my lab that I pulled out of our recycling bin:

e03b5e7953e046b01071e0637b4e862da3ff3c0f.jpg

DVI is DVI, and I used to hook it up to Xserves. Now its just collecting dust, but I plan on taking it with me if I ever leave the company. I will use it as a lamp or something. CRTs though...you couldnt pay me to lug one up my stairs. Back in my lan party days I used to lug a 20" CRT up three flights of stairs. Got old quick.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I have one of these in my lab that I pulled out of our recycling bin:

e03b5e7953e046b01071e0637b4e862da3ff3c0f.jpg

DVI is DVI, and I used to hook it up to Xserves. Now its just collecting dust, but I plan on taking it with me if I ever leave the company. I will use it as a lamp or something. CRTs though...you couldnt pay me to lug one up my stairs. Back in my lan party days I used to lug a 20" CRT up three flights of stairs. Got old quick.

I LUV IT!!!!!:biggrin: It's amazing....tho also 4:3 like my Dell find. Come on, Apple makes amazing screens! I never saw anything like that, it's GORGEOUS!!! Even its bezel is neat!!!

But yes, even I, were I to find a CRT, would just leave it.:biggrin:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I just hope the LCDs fit my work bench area. The pegboard hutch over my bench is 63" wide, so a triple panel display will actually be WIDER than my desk !!

While I do not get why anyone needs three screens, if someone does, I respect that.

Time to broaden da desk!!!!! You could do it with hinges, as per drop down extension, pegs, biscuits (if you buy the jig/templates and relate stuff)....it will be fun! Tho not if the desk is particle board. I despise particleboard. It is dead, compacted garbage (unlike wood) filled with even deadlier chemicals and hugely heavy.

Or, if possible, you could just remove the top and replace it with it bigger using a sheet of 3/4" veneered plywood cut to the new size.

Last edited: