just realized i went 2 days without looking at a tv or computer monitor...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
last weekend (butt early friday morning until butt early sunday morning) my wife and i visited a family friend who lives on a lake (lake anna) for a little getaway over the 4th of july.

when we got home sunday my wife asked me if i realized that they had no tvs in any areas of their house that we hung out in (although we did hang out in the "play room" that has a big screen tv with a pool table, but the tv was never turned one).

and then i thought about, and yeah they didn't have any other tv in the house, and we never even cared. we spent a lot of the time out on the water in a boat, but when we were back, we all just hung out, ate, drank, and talked.

then of course as soon as i got home i hopped on my laptop to work on a side project. i was working on it when my wife brought up that fact to me.

looking back, it was really nice to have a couple days that were basically technology void of what i'm used to. just good old spending time together.

EDIT:

forgot to mention, this was an older couple who is in their 70's and retired. so it's not as much of a surprise that they didn't have as much technology around their house as someone younger would have.

Last edited:

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
You okay?

kidding, it is nice to get away from all that crap isn't it? :)

Last edited:

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
It's not an addiction unless you break out in a cold sweat, feel nauseated or act like an escaped mental patient with withdrawal symptoms.

*whispers into watch "I've got one that's immune"*

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
,.. no boat sex?

nope :(

also forgot to mention, this was an older couple who is in their 70's and retired. so it's not as much of a surprise that they didn't have as much technology around their house as someone younger would have.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
It's a nice break,eh.

10 days from now I will be doing the same thing as you...but I will be in a small town for 2 days visiting family and drinking beer and watching a fireworks festival.

I can't wait.

Here's a link for anyone that lives in Ontario. It's quite fun.

http://mountforestfireworks.ca/

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
That's one thing I like about ... rural Western NY. Visiting there, I'm cut off from tv, radio, internet and any form of media really. Not even a newspaper to read the news. I feel like I've lost contact with the modern world. Canada could invade and I'd never know until I heard the sputter of rifle fire. Plus it's cool and beautiful there, in summer - so it's great to recharge my batteries.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
My Dad is 77 years old. Basically, entertainment was radio, cards, dominoes, pool, bars, women, drinking and reading.

A typical night alone (bachelor years) could be spent listening to the radio while drinking whiskey and smoking until an early bed time rest.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've never really understood the need to "get away" from technology. While I enjoy using it, I don't let it run my life. I tend to hear this as an excuse for things like camping, which I've never really understood the allure of that barbaric activity either! D:

I'm also not one of those types that turns on the TV just to add some noise to the room. So, I don't have the TV on unless I actually want to watch it.

Feb 25, 2011
I've never really understood the need to "get away" from technology. While I enjoy using it, I don't let it run my life. I tend to hear this as an excuse for things like camping, which I've never really understood the allure of that barbaric activity either! D:

I'm also not one of those types that turns on the TV just to add some noise to the room. So, I don't have the TV on unless I actually want to watch it.

1) Camping is fun. Fire! Meat! Burn! Hike! Manly!
2) "Getting away" from technology by avoiding cell phone reception is the only way most of us salaried cubicle drones can GTFO from under work email.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
family has a lake house up north. Technically there is a TV in the basement, but it never gets used. Cell phone is spotty at best. House has WiFi, but speed is painfully slow and isn't really used except for streaming music.

We don't get up there enough.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
yup, did the same thing going up into the mountains for the long weekend. Bunch of friends, good food, good beer, slept well too - only checked the phone once or twice to look up a recipe or use as a timer (ribs on the grill!), not tv or computer. Didn't miss it at all.

logicweb

Jul 5, 2015
last weekend (butt early friday morning until butt early sunday morning) my wife and i visited a family friend who lives on a lake (lake anna) for a little getaway over the 4th of july.

when we got home sunday my wife asked me if i realized that they had no tvs in any areas of their house that we hung out in (although we did hang out in the "play room" that has a big screen tv with a pool table, but the tv was never turned one).

and then i thought about, and yeah they didn't have any other tv in the house, and we never even cared. we spent a lot of the time out on the water in a boat, but when we were back, we all just hung out, ate, drank, and talked.

then of course as soon as i got home i hopped on my laptop to work on a side project. i was working on it when my wife brought up that fact to me.

looking back, it was really nice to have a couple days that were basically technology void of what i'm used to. just good old spending time together.

EDIT:

forgot to mention, this was an older couple who is in their 70's and retired. so it's not as much of a surprise that they didn't have as much technology around their house as someone younger would have.

Sometimes it good to leave technology behind just for some time off we are already surrounded by bulk of gadgets.