Just picked up two PG248Q monitors... not bad

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Best Buy was selling the Asus Swift PG248Q for $299 yesterday, so I picked one up for me and my wife. Out of the box, they are blinding - the brightness is just out of control. After some pseudo-calibration, I think I arrived at a very pleasing image. I've been running mine at 180Hz with G-Sync active and so far been very impressed, but I've also been playing around a lot with using G-Sync in RetroArch for emulation and it's much more impressive than I anticipated.

I'll post more after I've had them for a week or so, but the first couple hours have been very enjoyable. Now if we could just get an OLED version of this...

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Best Buy was selling the Asus Swift PG248Q for $299 yesterday, so I picked one up for me and my wife. Out of the box, they are blinding - the brightness is just out of control. After some pseudo-calibration, I think I arrived at a very pleasing image. I've been running mine at 180Hz with G-Sync active and so far been very impressed, but I've also been playing around a lot with using G-Sync in RetroArch for emulation and it's much more impressive than I anticipated.

I'll post more after I've had them for a week or so, but the first couple hours have been very enjoyable. Now if we could just get an OLED version of this...

I saw that deal as well, great price for that monitor.

For what it's worth, the >144hz 'overclocking' features on these monitors can sometimes be flaky. If you have any weird issues (flickering, tearing, odd behavior) feel free to keep it at 144hz. There were reports of said issues with the OC feature on my monitor (Acer 271HU).

Reactions: Headfoot

nathanddrews

Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
I'm sure whatever flaws it has will become more apparent as I use it, but I haven't seen any artifacts caused by the overclocking so far. I had read about some sort of gamma issue when going over 165Hz, but I feel pretty good about the brightness/contrast after calibrating it.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'm sure whatever flaws it has will become more apparent as I use it, but I haven't seen any artifacts caused by the overclocking so far. I had read about some sort of gamma issue when going over 165Hz, but I feel pretty good about the brightness/contrast after calibrating it.

Good to hear, for all I know it was something specific to the 1440p models. I read about issues with both my monitor and the Swift 1440p 144hz monitor back when I was trying to figure out which to get, so decided to write off the 'OC potential' completely.

nathanddrews

Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Good to hear, for all I know it was something specific to the 1440p models. I read about issues with both my monitor and the Swift 1440p 144hz monitor back when I was trying to figure out which to get, so decided to write off the 'OC potential' completely.
Well... I tried. Almost a month living with it day in and day out, I found it really difficult to get improved picture quality. The brightness was difficult to reign in and maintain good color and contrast, so the choice came down to either having the display too bright or to lose any measure of quality. I returned them today and need to go back on the hunt...

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well you're not going to get good picture quality and colors on a TN panel to begin with.

If you're after accurate colors you want IPS.

nathanddrews

Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Well you're not going to get good picture quality and colors on a TN panel to begin with.
If you're after accurate colors you want IPS.

It just so happens that this particular TN panel has brightness issues when used at 180Hz. I didn't notice it at first, but over time it was just too much to handle for prolonged periods of use. When at 60Hz or 120Hz, the color reproduction and brightness are just fine. Personally, I prefer VA over IPS for the exceptional contrast, but I'm pretty sure I won't be satisfied until we get some high speed OLED monitors. CRT has ruined me.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
It just so happens that this particular TN panel has brightness issues when used at 180Hz. I didn't notice it at first, but over time it was just too much to handle for prolonged periods of use. When at 60Hz or 120Hz, the color reproduction and brightness are just fine. Personally, I prefer VA over IPS for the exceptional contrast, but I'm pretty sure I won't be satisfied until we get some high speed OLED monitors. CRT has ruined me.

The new Panasonic IPS tech might interest you, looks like it will be a bit pricey and reserved for professional panels in the short term, but if you're willing to wait, or pay the premium, it might interest you.

But failing that we need better VA panels, or OLED to come down in price.

ronss

May 25, 2003
i got a new lg udp68 4k monitor....the whites are so bright...allmost too bright