Just picked up two Linkin Park cds...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
Originally posted by: Wingznut
Originally posted by: kalster well if you thought Link Park was Rock, thatz problem no 1
You are 100% right... I was basing my expectations on Numb and One Step Closer. Both of them are fantastic tracks. Can't say the same about most of the rest of the albums. They have their great moments, that's for sure. But I wasn't looking for rap. :(
Check out M4H's suggestions, those are some of the more guitar-centric tracks (I assume those are the ones you're after)

or else listen to 'REAL' rock bands if thatz the genre you like

from the more recent bands, Black Label Society (which has zakk wylde,the guitarist on a lot of Ozzy albums) is a tight band, Il Nino is pretty good too, albeit both are 'hard' rock

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
How can one love Hybrid Theory and hate Meteora? I never quite understood this.

Personally, i love both CD's. No song is pure rap, just listen to them!!

My absolute favorite song is Breaking The Habit. Such an energizing song...I always listened to it before matches last year. Place For My Head was my fav off of HT.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko

My absolute favorite song is Breaking The Habit. Such an energizing song...I always listened to it before matches last year. Place For My Head was my fav off of HT.

I loved HT and didn't like Meteora at all, because Meteora sounded like a rehash to me, with the exception of "Faint" (which of course had to be killed by the radio). Also I think Chester must have blown his vocal cords because is voice isn't as hard as it use to be...

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Kev

I loved HT and didn't like Meteora at all, because Meteora sounded like a rehash to me, with the exception of "Faint" (which of course had to be killed by the radio). Also I think Chester must have blown his vocal cords because is voice isn't as hard as it use to be...

that's they i felt.

Hybrid Theory was fresh and cool. Meteora sounded like disc 2. nothing different.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999

Breaking the habit is the new single, so i've heard from Chester on KROQ.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I bought the first CD. Hyper Theory or something like that.

I like it, but I haven't listened to it in like 2 years.

Edit: It's Hybrid Theory. Hyper, hybrid.... whatever.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
BTW, if you liked Numb and One Step Closer, listen to these:

Hybrid Theory
Papercut
By Myself
In The End

Meteora
Somewhere I Belong
Lying From You
Faint

- M4H

Another vote for Faint from Meteora; the video is pretty damn good and the song rocks.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
I hate that band. bunch of whiny little bitches. Go scream in someone elses ear and make some lyrics that make some fvckin sense.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Figure.09 off of Meteora is really good too.

Forgotten, Crawling, A place for my head, In the End, My December(though very laid back), Papercut, Points of Authority, With You, are all good.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: kalster
well if you thought Link Park was Rock, thatz problem no 1

they are a NU Metal / Rap band i guess, Rock and Linkin Park dont go in the same sentence EVAR

i was going to say that filtering through the bad meant not buying their cd at all....but at least you give a good reason for it

buy some ac/dc and repent!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
i liked reanimation quite a bit

and the live in texas cd/dvd is a joke

the dvd is cool

but...WHY CAN'T YOU FREAKING PUT AN HOUR OF MUSIC ON A CD WTF! your performance was over an hour long!

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Linkin Park has decent tunes, but their lyrics are so repetitive as to make them intolerable for any length of time.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
i liked reanimation quite a bit

and the live in texas cd/dvd is a joke

the dvd is cool

but...WHY CAN'T YOU FREAKING PUT AN HOUR OF MUSIC ON A CD WTF! your performance was over an hour long!

they're selling a DVD/CD for $15 and you think it's not enough?

I love HT. I listened to it many times every week since I bought it a month after it came out. Then when Meteora finally hit the shelves, it didn't SEEM as good, but then I listened to it more and I realized that they had really taken a step up as far as progressing as a band, not just different people all trying to do the same thing, but working together to make the end product that much better.

Aside from that, I love reanimation. Most people think it was just a way to make more money, but it really is a good album. I almost wish they would do one for Meteora, but I know that would give them a bad reputation. Mike had said that HT was about 20% Hip-Hop and 80% rock, but with Reanimation, they reversed that, and gave it 80% Hip-Hop...

Live in Texas is worth every penny. It's obviously their best songs and if you don't know which album you want to get, you might get this to start off with. In any case, LiT has been in my car's CD player for a month and a half, since it came out :)

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: ness1469
they're selling a DVD/CD for $15 and you think it's not enough?

Given the fanboyesqe nature of the rest of your post, I don't think we're going to get an impartial opinion from you. :p

And yes, I think that 40 minute albums do kinda suck. :p

- M4H

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Two months later... The CD's are growing on me. :)

Good to hear, but that will fade shortly. I loved the CDs for a month or two, then they just fell off in interestingness (not even a word)

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Legendary
Two months later... The CD's are growing on me. :)

Good to hear, but that will fade shortly. I loved the CDs for a month or two, then they just fell off in interestingness (not even a word)
I can definitely see that. Some of the lyrics are pretty good, but they aren't varied enough... And they are definitely too repetitive.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: murphy55d
Figure.09 off of Meteora is really good too.

Forgotten, Crawling, A place for my head, In the End, My December(though very laid back), Papercut, Points of Authority, With You, are all good.

Another vote for My December :beer:

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Personally I liked:

Hybrid Theory
In the End
Crawling
Points of Authority

Reanimation
Pts. of Athrty
PLC. 4 Mie Haed