Just ordered my IBM Thinkpad T42p with Fingerprint Scanner (hehe).

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Ordered it through a friend's employee discount.

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 765 2.10GHz
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
1 GB Memory
60 GB Harddrive
15.0" at 1600x1200
128MB ATI Mobility FIREGL T2
5.8 lbs. travel weight
UltraNav
Ultrabay Slim DVD Recordable
Three years parts and labor (system battery: one year)
Integrated Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
56K V.92 designed modem
IBM 11a/b/g Wi-Fi Wireless II, Bluetooth
Fingerprint Reader IBM ESS 2.0 and Integrated fingerprint reader

So pumped for this :D

Anyways, paid a $2,599.99 + tax. The list price for non-employees is $3,999.99 :D
I travel a lot and I needed a powerhouse to carry around with me.

I'll post pictures when it gets here. It's going to be shipping tomorrow with 2 day UPS, so check back in later!

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
nice

hey your friend is cheating you!

ThinkPad T42
2373Q1U
Customize & buy

Your price
$2,599.35*
IBM Web Price
$3,999.00*
Within 2 weeks**

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
1 GB
60 GB

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 765 2.10GHz
15.0"
1600x1200
128MB ATI Mobility FIREGL T2
5.8-5.8

UltraNav
Ultrabay Slim
DVD Recordable
None
Three years parts and labor (system battery: one year)

Integrated Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
56K V.92 designed modem
IBM 11a/b/g Wi-Fi Wireless II, Bluetooth
Fingerprint Reader IBM ESS 2.0 and Integrated fingerprint reader

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: RichieZ
nice

hey your friend is cheating you!

ThinkPad T42
2373Q1U
Customize & buy

Your price
$2,599.35*

Hehe, he's not cheating on me, I thought it was .99 :p

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Congrats --- you got the same one I do but I only have the B/G vard so no biggy.

I just static zapped the fingerprint reader the other weekend and now my whole USB bus is fried..... Had a few days of real cold weather and was shocking everything around the house... the one delivered while I logged in using my finger was a big one though..... Getting it fixed soonly.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: WackyDan
Congrats --- you got the same one I do but I only have the B/G vard so no biggy.

I just static zapped the fingerprint reader the other weekend and now my whole USB bus is fried..... Had a few days of real cold weather and was shocking everything around the house... the one delivered while I logged in using my finger was a big one though..... Getting it fixed soonly.

That's what the IBM warranty is for. And that's the only reason I picked IBM out of all mobile PC manufacturers. Excellent!

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Congrats, let us know how you like it. Make sure you check out www.thinkpads.com and visit the forums there if you haven't already. lots of good info
btw, i hope you got the 9-cell batt and maybe even the Ultrabay battery :)

qaa541

Jun 25, 2004
Horray for another T42 owner!
I have a T42-2378FVU with the 14" High Res Display that I got through the EPP program too!

Good choice with IBM and have fun!

BadMonkey130U

Jan 25, 2005
Usually when thieves steal this biometric secured laptop they cut off both hands of the owner so that they can turn the thing on; do yourself a favor and let them know which finger to cut off. :)

BadMonkey130U

Jan 24, 2005
Depending on the way the fingerprint scanner works, a dead/cut off finger sends different electrical signals compared to a living finger IIRC.

It inspires confidence that people want your laptop (and/or information contained within) so badly they will cut your fingers off, but that could be a sign to leave the secure data at the office and use the lappy for HL2 or whatever else :)

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Twitch
Depending on the way the fingerprint scanner works, a dead/cut off finger sends different electrical signals compared to a living finger IIRC.

It inspires confidence that people want your laptop (and/or information contained within) so badly they will cut your fingers off, but that could be a sign to leave the secure data at the office and use the lappy for HL2 or whatever else :)

NOTE: the scanners in use on laptops that use either silicon or optical based scanning do not sense capacitance.... yet. In some of the PCMCIA card scanners that were silicon based, there was a temperature sensing ring around the scanning area that would sense for a "live" human being on the other end. Users with poor circulation to their hands would have some issues using the device as their fingers could be just out of the spec'd temperature range. Those cards got pulled from the market over a patent lawsuit.