Just landed first job out of college

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: Dissipate
I bet your excitement about your job will wear off in 20 years.

I plan on retiring in 20 years. :)

I plan on never having a typical job, sitting around in an office seems like a waste of life. :(

Wow. What an utterly stupid thing to say.

no its pretty spot on.

No, it really wasn't. The idea that people working in offices are a "waste of life" is so absurd that I didn't even think I needed to explain it. But I guess if there are three of you out there it warrants a response. Many of the things that you take for granted are brought to you by people who work in offices. Do you use high speed Internet? You can thank people like me who contribute to making that happen. You're welcome. Do you use a telephone? You're welcome again. Who do you think wrote the software that you're using on your computer right now? And why do you think they are a "waste of life" just because their career choice is not similar to yours?

We all have different strengths. Some of our strengths are well suited for office work, some are not. I don't look down on Nick for his choice to join the military, or FallenHero for his choice to be a police officer, or you for doing whatever you do. Please don't call me a "waste of life" because I work in an office. My contributions to this world are not without value.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Special K
Originally posted by: invidia
I get paid $65,000 + tournament winnings a year as a professional PC gamer. I'm baffled how much money is involved in e-sports and that I'm actually getting paid for doing something I like.

I thought life was about doing things you hate just to keep on going until retirement.

Who actually pays you that much to play games (aside from the tournament winnings)?

Also, of all the people who do that, I suspect very few of them actually make enough to use it as their sole source of income.

Probably sponsors

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

I plan on never having a typical job, sitting around in an office seems like a waste of life. :(

no its pretty spot on.

No, it really wasn't. The idea that people working in offices are a "waste of life" is so absurd that I didn't even think I needed to explain it. But I guess if there are three of you out there it warrants a response. Many of the things that you take for granted are brought to you by people who work in offices. Do you use high speed Internet? You can thank people like me who contribute to making that happen. You're welcome. Do you use a telephone? You're welcome again. Who do you think wrote the software that you're using on your computer right now? And why do you think they are a "waste of life" just because their career choice is not similar to yours?

We all have different strengths. Some of our strengths are well suited for office work, some are not. I don't look down on Nick for his choice to join the military, or FallenHero for his choice to be a police officer, or you for doing whatever you do. Please don't call me a "waste of life" because I work in an office. My contributions to this world are not without value.

i think you misread or misunderstood. he's not saying that people who work in offices are wastes of life, he thinks working in an office is a waste of life, meaning he could be doign somethign better or more fun.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex

i think you misread or misunderstood. he's not saying that people who work in offices are wastes of life, he thinks working in an office is a waste of life, meaning he could be doign somethign better or more fun.

Exactly. Some people just don't like being couped up inside day after day. That's all this guy was saying and he was only referring to his own personal preference. At least, that is the way I took it.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Congrats disspate ;) Nice to see you go through 4 years and finally come out of it - I'll be out next year hopefully...am delayed a year :p

I know what you mean though

but don't get too relaxed on the gravy train else you won't have anything important to write about. it could start to get busy, it could be chillax while you make a few changes here and there. If it is the latter, make sure you are taking the iniative and ensure that you are still gaining skills.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Nice.

My first month was pretty sweet at my current job. 2nd job out of Uni. Left the first one after 14months. But then as the months went on I kept getting spanked by work. This past week was horrenduous...but at least I can look forward to some steep pay rises after 2-3yrs experience. Everyone at my company works f0cking hard and we deal with a lot of sh!t.

But at times we can chill and we have an awesome team of people. It's very much like being down at the pub f0cking around with your mates.

Koing

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex

no its pretty spot on.

yep, I by no means think lowly of people that work in offices. It just seems so mundane, I know I would personally go nuts in that environment, so props to those that tough it out.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So I landed my first job out of college, and have been at this company a week as of tomorrow. I graduated in June with a bachelor's degree in computer science.

I told my current boss who interviewed me that I had barely been exposed to MySQL and Perl, which the company uses extensively for it's web servers, but they hired me anyway. It wasn't even much of an interview. They asked me a little bit about the classes I took at my university and the rest was more of just a conversation I had with some of their software engineers. They didn't even check my transcripts or diploma.

I have done nothing for the past week except read books on Perl and MySQL. The company is paying me $52,000 a year, with stock options, a health and dental plan, 2 weeks paid vacation, a 401(k) with matching and 13 paid holidays. So essentially I have already made $1,000 just sitting and reading books.

Not only that but this place is extremely relaxed. They said that they discourage working after hours or on weekends. Also, there are no time cards. You come and go pretty much whenever you want and everyone is on salary. Their Internet access is completely open. There are no filters and I doubt that they are monitoring anything.

There are two guys that I share an office with. One of them is my boss, and the other is a marketing/sales guy(who will be moving to another suite tomorrow). The sales guy went out of the office for awhile today and then when he came back a co-worker stopped by. He told the co-worker that he had just taken a nap in is car!

Can someone explain any of this? They are paying me $1,000 a week to learn Perl and MySQL when they could probably hire some bozo with certificates for a lot less.

In any event, it looks like I'm on one heck of a gravy train. I guess it's really true, just go to college, get a piece of paper and boom, companies hire you even if you don't even know the technologies they are using.

ahhh.. the gravy train

welcome to the club, where you go see the premeire of movies at 12pm fri, and still get paid! come back at 3pm, crank up your email, and write your review on ATOT.

ahhh.. the gravy train

now to be on a l33t train, see how fast your can level in WoW from 3pm till you leave at 4pm.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: DLeRium

That's pretty tough. Try supporting yourself for another 50 years after that. Fun huh? Unless you plan on tripling your income, I don't see anyone retiring that early as an engineer.

Yeah, I was just kidding. If I didn't have to pay so much in taxes it would be a lot easier to pull that off.

Although, I plan on contributing a significant amount to my 401(k).

The way I see it is that the main factor when it comes to retirement is kids, which can of course push retirement way back.

Needless to say I am not going to even consider fathering kids until I am married and well established financially with an entire plan for paying for their college education, and all the other costs that go with raising kids.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: FoBoT
update OP?
have they given you anything new to do besides read books?

LOL now he's probably so busy busting his ass he doesn't have time to post!

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally posted by: pulse8
Originally posted by: ironwing
A year from now one of two realities will exist: 1) the company will be out of business or 2) you'll be working your ass off and have completely forgotten this week. Each time I've started a new job the first week or two were "read this, read this, read this, and familiarize yourself with this". Then the third week rolls around and you find yourself up to your nether regions in work.

Yup. First week of a new job is like the first week of a new school year. You don't do much while you're getting up to speed, but once you hit the ground you hit it running.

Not for me. I started working in November last year...my company offers ZERO training, I don't feel any more comfortable about my job, and I barely do $hit around here. If anything, I do LESS because they are trying to speed up the design process so they've given less responsibilities to us...and I work for a very large company.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: eaj0010
Originally posted by: pulse8
Originally posted by: ironwing
A year from now one of two realities will exist: 1) the company will be out of business or 2) you'll be working your ass off and have completely forgotten this week. Each time I've started a new job the first week or two were "read this, read this, read this, and familiarize yourself with this". Then the third week rolls around and you find yourself up to your nether regions in work.

Yup. First week of a new job is like the first week of a new school year. You don't do much while you're getting up to speed, but once you hit the ground you hit it running.

Not for me. I started working in November last year...my company offers ZERO training, I don't feel any more comfortable about my job, and I barely do $hit around here. If anything, I do LESS because they are trying to speed up the design process so they've given less responsibilities to us...and I work for a very large company.

That makes you dead weight, I would get my resume out there ASAP.