Just installed Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Agree about the quicklaunch thing.. I sent them feedback about it and I suggest everyone else do the same. It could change for the final version yet!

Originally posted by: n7
Originally posted by: shpongle

The fish is a little (very little) joke from the nerds in Redmond.
See: Betta Fish

Hehe, thanx.

Was wondering about it myself.

I don't actually really like W7 so far, though i know i'll be using it eventually.

It's really so similar to Vista at least from what i've used of it.

And i'm quite upset by the removal of QuickLaunch, since i actually use that heavily (4-5 different QL bars across).
The new version is crippled in the sense i am forced to have massive big ugly spaced apart icons that waste space even when setting back to the supposed old version (which it is not).

I don't know if i'm just retarded or not, but i could not get Network Places or My Computer to display properly in the quicklaunch bar or whatever it's called...they would both turn into Libraries sh!t, which i absolutely do not want or need.

It feels like with 7, it's becoming harder to still be a power user...the dumbed down design is no doubt great for the dumb users, but i'm annoyed i cannot set up things the way i need them for maximum usage personally.

shpongle

Jan 12, 2009
Originally posted by: n7
Originally posted by: shpongle

The fish is a little (very little) joke from the nerds in Redmond.
See: Betta Fish

Hehe, thanx.

Was wondering about it myself.

I don't actually really like W7 so far, though i know i'll be using it eventually.

It's really so similar to Vista at least from what i've used of it.

Yes, IMO, it's somewhere between the difference between 95 and 98, and 98 and 98SE.
If the Vista name wasn't the toxic sludge it's only partly earned, they probably would have called it Vista SE. I like W7, probably enough to keep it on my PC, and I've used Vista and been impressed enough to keep XP SP3 alone on all my computers until now. However, I've not discouraged anyone I know from getting a Vista PC so long as it had 2GB or more.

And i'm quite upset by the removal of QuickLaunch, since i actually use that heavily (4-5 different QL bars across).

I can't compete with that. I usually have about 3 or 4 QL icons and maybe a dozen desktop items, so the large size (I'm surprised they don't call them "High-Def icons") icons make no difference to me. I also usually don't have too many things in the start menu, but I think if you did, the scrolling menu would be a real treat *ahem* to sort through.

I don't know if i'm just retarded or not, but i could not get Network Places or My Computer to display properly in the quicklaunch bar or whatever it's called...they would both turn into Libraries sh!t, which i absolutely do not want or need.

It feels like with 7, it's becoming harder to still be a power user...the dumbed down design is no doubt great for the dumb users, but i'm annoyed i cannot set up things the way i need them for maximum usage personally.
I don't know if you're retarded either, but I would guess no ;). I see the weird behavior you must be talking about trying to get My Computer (now just "Computer", eh?!) to pin to the taskbar.
I'm guessing there are little gems hidden in this OS for the power users, too, you'll just need to read about them or find them yourself. (ie: I think you may find some of the functionality of the QL bar in the "Links" toolbar you can add to the Taskbar by right clicking(edit: right click on the taskbar)->properties->toolbars)