Just got my 1st tech job!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
my first ever tech job was as a computer support tech for a local elementary school, what was great was for three days out of the week I taught the computer lab, and in between those three days I supported all user and hardware issues along with mondays and fridays sole computer support. It was the best job i'd ever had. It did't pay well in the beginning as i had to leave for a higher paying job (jumped from 13.91/hr to 18.00/hr) but after a year at a helpdesk I looked back to getting into the schol and they tookm me back at a higher rate. (21/hr) what was real cool during that time i never left the helpdesk so i was doing both jobs at once when i got bck to the school, then transferred from the helpdesk to a job deploying systems at various sites (same company as the helpdesk) and was pulling in (24/hr) so i think I made out ok.

21/hr + 24/hr plus O.T. = lots o' monay that went to feeding a family of four :D

p.s., yes they were both fulltime jobs and I did that for aprroximately 2 1/2 years, maybe a little more. I didn't sleep much needless to say :D

I've been in this industry for a while now, and have loved pretty much the entire experience (well take away the helpdesk anyway lol) but teaching kids how to use computers and helping them learn how to use office to get homework done, how to research using the internet for reports. that stuff was golden...

so if it's what you love, enjoy it while it lasts.

good luck!

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: rasczak
my first ever tech job was as a computer support tech for a local elementary school, what was great was for three days out of the week I taught the computer lab, and in between those three days I supported all user and hardware issues along with mondays and fridays sole computer support. It was the best job i'd ever had. It did't pay well in the beginning as i had to leave for a higher paying job (jumped from 13.91/hr to 18.00/hr) but after a year at a helpdesk I looked back to getting into the schol and they tookm me back at a higher rate. (21/hr) what was real cool during that time i never left the helpdesk so i was doing both jobs at once when i got bck to the school, then transferred from the helpdesk to a job deploying systems at various sites (same company as the helpdesk) and was pulling in (24/hr) so i think I made out ok.

21/hr + 24/hr plus O.T. = lots o' monay that went to feeding a family of four :D

p.s., yes they were both fulltime jobs and I did that for aprroximately 2 1/2 years, maybe a little more. I didn't sleep much needless to say :D

I've been in this industry for a while now, and have loved pretty much the entire experience (well take away the helpdesk anyway lol) but teaching kids how to use computers and helping them learn how to use office to get homework done, how to research using the internet for reports. that stuff was golden...

so if it's what you love, enjoy it while it lasts.

good luck!

Dude, I am dying for that same kind of scenario. I would love to do 2 fulltime jobs like I have now. I have no life so it doesnt matter how I spend my time. :)

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: IJump
- Users think all problems are caused by the computer, even though a large number are user error (please remember the I-D-ten-T and PEBKAC errors)

Haven't heard this one before, anyone care to explain?

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: effowe
- Users think all problems are caused by the computer, even though a large number are user error (please remember the I-D-ten-T and PEBKAC errors)

I-D-10-T, or replace the 0 with an o

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: effowe

ID10T = IDIOT

Also, it seems like most of those that hate their tech jobs are in support.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Congrats!!! My first tech job was debugging "smart" cash registers that were supposed to phone home every night to report sales. You haven't lived until you try to debug software by reading hex dumps printed off on cash register tape 15 feet long.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: D1gger
Congrats!!! My first tech job was debugging "smart" cash registers that were supposed to phone home every night to report sales. You haven't lived until you try to debug software by reading hex dumps printed off on cash register tape 15 feet long.

at least the strings would be lined up well... imagine going thru a notepad file full of hex strings for modbus communication requests with no line breaks, structure beyond the individual strings and not lining up with word wrap. that was fun, i tell ya. had to use the find with the beginning sequence to find the next string, but it was still well over 15000 strings.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: D1gger

at least the strings would be lined up well... imagine going thru a notepad file full of hex strings for modbus communication requests with no line breaks, structure beyond the individual strings and not lining up with word wrap. that was fun, i tell ya. had to use the find with the beginning sequence to find the next string, but it was still well over 15000 strings.

Yikes! So there is more than one of us old coots on here who used a computer before they had more than one colour on the screen / or better yet when they had to be fed data with punch cards.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
welcome to hell.

:thumbsup:

I worked summer IT, got to install some Ram and do minor troubleshooting: already hated it. It's fun when you're putting stuff together for yourself for fun, but the second you're doing it for the 20th time in 2 hours, forget it.

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Congrats!

OK guys, who's taking bets on how long it will take him to post his first !#*@!#@ user thread? :p

Dave

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
When I got to work, I checked my home email but I couldn't see my infant. I left her right in front of the monitor and had it turned on. What is wrong with it?

Jul 10, 2007
sorry to squash your dreams but repairing, building and selling PC's will do nothing for your MCSE. it might help with the client exam, and even that's not a guarantee, but nothing else.
helpful for the A+ though.