just got me a GeForce 5200 baby!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brawleyman

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, I hate it when people think that just because a graphic card has a higher number it means that it is faster. I have done a lot of research on 7300GT's vs 7600GS' and such and lots of people have said that because the 7600GS is a higher "number" it is faster...that isn't true at all today with the way that these computer companys name and rate their products. Yeah, a 7600GS might have a higher number and more pixel processors, but only has DDR2 memory, and if you can find a 7300GT with DDR3 memory, it has been proven that they are much faster than 7600GS'. It is just a matter of researching what you are looking at and make your decision that way. However, you must use trusted sources and search for many opinions and even try something yourself. Same thing applies to pretty much everything, just because it is a "higher" model number, doesn't always mean it is better.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: fk49
The sad part is that I have a professed "tech enthusiast" friend who acts like this, very non-sarcastically. I was trying to convince him to buy a 1950pro AGP when his old GeForce died, and he INSISTED on buying a 7600GS AGP for the same price. He was stuck on the "Geforce" brand, and though that 512mb of memory would give him better performance than the 256mb.

Here is his quote on the RAM - "No, no, see that's the problem with the memory on the ATI, it's GDDR3. I've been reading a lot of reviews and, for some reason, you have to use GDDR2 for gaming."

Oh god help me.

you gotta let people like that do their own thing...if they think they know what they're talking about, even benchmarks and such wouldn't change their opinion.

i have a friend like that...i just got a new phone and he asked me, during a phone call, what it was. i said it was a sony ericsson w580i, which i know for a fact he didn't know anything about. he told me sony ericssons were not good and i made a mistake getting it. he never had a SE phone but someone he knew from somewhere had some model, which he didn't know, and from that he came to a conclusion that SEs were bad and i should have gotten a nokia or a motorola. like i said, i just let him talk and told him to google the phone to see what it was and the reviews it was getting, which is what i tell him whenever he brings up some nonsense. he has also argued with me that a manual car has no advantages over an automatic and that as a rule, all domestic cars are worse than imports. :confused:

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: brawleyman
Sorry. I thought he was serious about it...you never know, there could be some noobs out there that think they are getting a great deal on a 3 year old piece of technology.

Dear god... that's coming from someone with 9 posts to his/her name?
WWYBYWB?

brawleyman

Nov 14, 2007
Hehehe. My brother is like that. Once he has an opinion about something, that is the fact about it for the rest of life. It just depends on what your preferences are. However, when you let yourself get skrewed by someone that knows very little and makes you waste money or time, then there is no sympathy. Research, research, research!

brawleyman

Nov 14, 2007
I have only 10, now 11 posts, but that only means that I haven't been HERE very long, doesn't mean that I know nothing about computers or anything.

***Edit***
I just signed up today. Oh, and I am a brand new member. I have used this site for comparisons, but have never joined the forums till now. Thank you for your concern though. And thank you for the warm welcome! :D

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
I have only 10, now 11 posts, but that only means that I haven't been HERE very long, doesn't mean that I know nothing about computers or anything.

***Edit***
I just signed up today. Oh, and I am a brand new member. I have used this site for comparisons, but have never joined the forums till now. Thank you for your concern though. And thank you for the warm welcome! :D

Welcome to AT :D

Is this thread a joke? Id laugh if it wasn't because seriously, theres alot of people out there who doesn't know anything about video cards

Its just like this salesman trying to sell 2 7600GS for SLi, saying it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, instead of a single 8600GTS.

brawleyman

Nov 14, 2007
Thank you very much Cookie Monster! I guess "Anita Peterson" doesn't realize that there is life outside of the internet! HA!

I work in a corporate office where we use AutoCad 2007 full version and the people there draft the old way and know nothing about computers. In fact, the computers we are using are old Pentium 4's with 512mb ram and onboard ATI graphics...for AutoCad for goodness sakes! They are so far behind here in the office it isn't even funny anymore...in fact it is very obnoxious. It is sad that people don't keep up with technology because it advances for us to make things easier and faster.

Thank you again Cookie Monster for the Welcome!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster

***Edit***

Welcome to AT :D

Is this thread a joke? Id laugh if it wasn't because seriously, theres alot of people out there who doesn't know anything about video cards

Its just like this salesman trying to sell 2 7600GS for SLi, saying it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, instead of a single 8600GTS.

Good grief. The 7600GS and 8600GTS are both terrible products.

Now the X1950 and 8800s, that's where it's at ;)

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I had a 9800pro 128MB, then I upgraded to a fx5200 256MB, and now I'm getting 1000fps at max settings in Crysis!

brawleyman

Nov 14, 2007
Arkaign: that might be true, but I don't want/need that much power. I have a Dell E521 that I am going to add a little graphics card to soon and I need something that will get me to where I need to go to. Besides, the bigger graphics cards you are talking about require more power than what my computer has. I would be perfectly satisfied with a 7600GS or even 7300GT. I would never go to ATI though...my personal preference. Nvidia works better with OpenGL, which is what I need the most for AutoCad and Sketchup. But if you are a serious gamer, these cards wouldn't even begin to touch what you would need for big graphics.

munky: SWEET! 1000FPS?! Man, you must have the card clocked to the max! Graphics card specs: processor speed is a 2.5Ghz dual core and memory is 2Gb running at 2000Mhz!

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
I would have went for an 8-bit ISA slot model, I hear they have considerably more bandwidth than PCI-E versions.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
You know though, the story does sound like a real best buy experience.... Did the author really go through this procedure and then left the card at the register without paying? I doubt it but it would certainly be possible.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
I gave this thread 5 stars. This thread does not belong in OT, it belongs here where everyone can have a laugh to counteract all the sadness AMD just pooped out of their butts recently with their 38xx releases :(

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
i think the OP was telling the truth and this wasnt a joke, why ? Simply because he/she hasnt posted since..........oh god imagine getting a 5200 and being chuffed about it.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
the OP has been sent to the writing center to learn to use paragraphs

I think it was intentional.

The diction, the expressions, the thorough knowledge of trends and jokes in the gaming community. All of these things were integrated pretty well and the lack of paragraphs is icing on the cake.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What a steal. I just seen some benchies of this thing owning 2 8800Ultra in sli. Do they have any extras?

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
well I'm glad you guys liked it. I actually went to Best Buy the other day just to look around and saw some guy in the video card section looking around like he was in wonderland. Then he started talking to one of the employees so I listened in on the convo a bit and it was hard to keep from laughing out loud at some of the things they were saying. it's always quite entertaining to listen and watch the average consumer make a technology purchase IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.