Just Got A Bare 7" LCD

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: dbk
make a digital frame out of it.

thats what I would do, unless it was touch sensitive, then I would probably install it in my car.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: dbk
make a digital frame out of it.

yea but that would generally require an old laptop..which might have a better screen itself which you could "frame".
either way..power suck not justified.

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
woudnt you need a proprietary controller or something to make it display an image?

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
You need a controller, to the little ribbon connector. The bigger wires are for backlight. Good luck figuring out the pinout or protocol, might as well use it as a paper weight, unless, by some fluke, it's something really standard.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I'm building a mini PC (with a LEGO brick case :)). Anyone know if I could get a 7" LCD like the OP's to use as a side panel display (guessing it would be difficult)?

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
easiest way is probably to get a little 7" dvd player with composite in.. then you have all the driver stuff, and don't need to know anything about it.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Colt45
easiest way is probably to get a little 7" dvd player with composite in.. then you have all the driver stuff, and don't need to know anything about it.

Hmm, yeah I was thinking about that. I just happen to have a cheap 7" DVD player (freebie from switching to DirecTV). It's probably the least reliable piece of technology I own.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Colt45

yea all roads lead to unnecessary expense
the dvd player probably costs more than a new predone picture frame lcd:)

lcd controllers, at least for laptop type screens are so expensive that they make reusing those panels pretty unviable. its probably similar for smaller lcds as well.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Your panel is useless if you don't know the pinouts for the video input - or can't find a cable for the connector.

The other connector there is to power the backlight.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Does that thing even have memory? Looks just like a bunch of pixel row and column drivers. You're going to have to find/make a driver to store the screen data and refresh it - a controller. Then you're going to have to feed the controller screen data. Not very fun at all. Maybe you can use the CCFL for something if you've got a driver board.