Just found out that no charges were filed against the 82 year old driver that killed my sisters 15 year old niece

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
We treat our elders like sh!t here in the US, but that doesn't excuse the driver.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
I am really sorry for the sister and the mother of the child. i cannot imagine what the mom must be going thru. i will remember to say a little prayer for her comfort.

i am a little unsure of what the old guy should be charged with though. he certainly did not do it on purpose, right? i mean, if not drugs or alcohol was involved, what could he be charged with? i don't think he woke up this morning and thought... "hmmm, today is the day i might kill someone if i drive, so maybe i should take the bus". i would bet that he thought today was as normal as any other day.

it really sucks! Everyone loses here. i bet the guy feels awful. and that poor mom.

this is really sad.
:(

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
What a terrible accident. I hope you get some closure.

Preferably in the form of some serious sanctions being levied against the driver. More serious than just taking away his license.

I think it's silly to have a double standard. So what if the perp is old? If you're able to do the crime, you should do the time.

You guys are right about AARP being a very powerful political bloc.

FLWRHART

Dec 5, 2005
i think all the elderly should have to go back to driving school, not just take a test.
my own mother whom is 69 scares the crap out of me when she drives. and when i come and visit and we go somewhere, my stepdad
will sit in the back making me sit in front.
there is an offramp to a truck stop by me and there has been numerouse occasions where i was going to get off the freeway and an rv
or car driven by an elderly person was driving ONTO the OFF ramp. then they have to back up the ramp causing delays and near misses

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
wouldn't that be your neice also? or is it her neice in law or something?

anyway, the family of the child who died should be able to stone the old man to death. he should have realized he is not able to drive and would kill someone. at least charge him with murder I.

drag his ass to texas and put him in the chair.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
rose.gif
:(
i'm sorry for your family's loss. i know what it's like unfourtunatly.
from what it sounds, the driver had a serious impairment. missing the turn by something like 5 feet; no sane driver would ever do this. and screw the 75 and over "health consideration!" people are aren't responsible for thier driving should not be allowed to drive! and he should be charged. he took the life of a 15-year old girl while he is 82! she had her whole life in front of her while he does not. anyway, i'm so sorry for your family's loss.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
i am a little unsure of what the old guy should be charged with though. he certainly did not do it on purpose, right? i mean, if not drugs or alcohol was involved, what could he be charged with? i don't think he woke up this morning and thought... "hmmm, today is the day i might kill someone if i drive, so maybe i should take the bus". i would bet that he thought today was as normal as any other day.

Negligence. Unless something drastic happened that morning, the guy has been having problems driving for years, and has been told this by family and friends. Based on that and his own consciousness, he is expected to be responsible for his driving. Meaning, if I know I am unable to drive safely, then I am responsible for anything that happens while driving.