Just found New Thingy! Wut is it?

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Hi,

Was just running something up to a friend who lives three floor above me, I took the service stairs, and, on his Service landing, I found big empty carton for new Blue Ray system, and it it were tons of cables, wires, and this BOSE THINGY. Digital music system thingy. I have no clue.

Most people in this building have macs, ipads and BOSE. Don't ask.

So, I took the BOSE Thingy, and, what is clearly the adapter for it. (Pls see below.)

What is this thingy? Do I need it? Can I use it for something fabulous? I am posting before I do a search.

I should go back and take the rest of the cables.....just in case I might need them. Tho not the coaxials, cause I have a whole big coil of that and boxes of connectors and collars and a pincher tool, etc.
2zia2if.jpg

23sgeol.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2004
It's a Sound Dock for iPhone/iPod. It has the older connector so it would only work with iPhone 4 and older without an adapter. They are fairly popular. Test it out to see if it works. If it does you can get $75 or so for it on eBay.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
It's a Sound Dock for iPhone/iPod. It has the older connector so it would only work with iPhone 4 and older without an adapter. They are fairly popular. Test it out to see if it works. If it does you can get $75 or so for it on eBay.

O! This community is seriously GENIUS!!! An absolute BLESSING.

For iPod/iphone 4! I had NO CLUE! I luv my Samsung 4G. Android.

See? My whole building is Apple!!! Cept for ME. My BF has iphone 5. And a mac. But I am tolerant human.():)

K, I will hook it up and plug it in an see wut happens. SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS? Hard to believe, but you guys are geniuses, so I do believe.

I just ran back up and took pics of the big empty carton, and there was an empty box inside it for another mysterious thingy small. so I brought it down.

I feel bad I can't use it for something wonderful.

Hold on......

j93l8k.jpg

3305n38.jpg

166euzp.jpg

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
K....so I hooked up the adapter and plugged the thingy in.....I think it's broken cause it made this little pulsing sound! Like a mini digital drum machine a little.

NO, not like a black box pinging at the bottom of The Indian Ocean......never heard anything like this before.

What is that drum pinging? Means it's broken, right? I do now see the interface where you plug in yr device in the front.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013

O! This community is seriously GENIUS!!! An absolute BLESSING.

For iPod/iphone 4! I had NO CLUE! I luv my Samsung 4G. Android.

See? My whole building is Apple!!! Cept for ME. My BF has iphone 5. And a mac. But I am tolerant human.():)

K, I will hook it up and plug it in an see wut happens. SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS? Hard to believe, but you guys are geniuses, so I do believe.

I just ran back up and took pics of the big empty carton, and there was an empty box inside it for another mysterious thingy small. so I brought it down.

I feel bad I can't use it for something wonderful.

Hold on......

j93l8k.jpg

3305n38.jpg

166euzp.jpg

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I think thingy is dead. Brick doesn't get warm, thingy itself remains cold and silent. How come it don have a tiny LED on it to show when it's alive? WHERE IS ITS LITTLE LED?

All speakers have LEDs which go on if they are alive, right? I mean this thingy is basically a big, heavy speaker, right? I have no Apple devices, forget iphone 4....so, nothing to plug into this thingy which I think is dead.

Hold on, I think maybe the brick is a little warm. Maybe thingy is dying but not completely dead?

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Holy mutha of excess! Tasteslikechicken wasn't kidding!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-Soundd...Audio_Docks_Mini_Speakers&hash=item1c3f2f30f4

Seriously? $179????????:eek: The price of a top 250GB SDD????????? SERIOUSLY?

Cept this one is prolly dead. just checked again, the brick is, in fact, slightly warm. No way like the adapter for a lappy, jus slightly warm.

How can I tell if thingy is dead? I have no compatible Apple device to seat on its little interface.

I must now look for documentation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-SoundD...Audio_Docks_Mini_Speakers&hash=item258d04de9f

I am confused. Re dead or alive.

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Is this a troll thread? I cant believe someone will leave BOSE dock and Onkyo tx-SR131 outside as giveaway...

Sep 12, 2004
Holy mutha of excess! Tasteslikechicken wasn't kidding!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-Soundd...Audio_Docks_Mini_Speakers&hash=item1c3f2f30f4

Seriously? $179????????:eek: The price of a top 250GB SDD????????? SERIOUSLY?

Cept this one is prolly dead. just checked again, the brick is, in fact, slightly warm. No way like the adapter for a lappy, jus slightly warm.

How can I tell if thingy is dead? I have no compatible Apple device to seat on its little interface.

I must now look for documentation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-SoundD...Audio_Docks_Mini_Speakers&hash=item258d04de9f

I am confused. Re dead or alive.
Your first link is the ridiculous price someone is asking for a Sound Dock. Look at sold listings to get an idea of what they actually sell for.

Sounds like it might not be working but there is still some good news. The AC adapter alone sells for $35 - $45 on eBay.

Edit: Put the brick up to your ear. If you hear a humming sound it is working.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Is this a troll thread? I cant believe someone will leave BOSE dock and Onkyo tx-SR131 outside as giveaway...

Desipower......in MY building, populated by mostly Armani clad Wall Street types, I have found lappys, a P.J. Mene bronze I sold at auction for $750 hammer price....gold rings, single gold earrings....U name it.

I am SERIOUS.

Re the Onkyo....pls let me CLARIFY: THAT WAS THE CARTON HIS OR HER NEW THINGY CAME IN. I went back up and took a pic of it. the little box for this universal control thingy U clearly put on the wall, and which controls everything in yr apartment, was also in the carton. He or she just bought that too. That, I brought down when I went back up to take the pics of the carton, cause it was small. I found the BOSE thingy in the big CARTON; he or she threw that out in the new carton....along with audio video cables, coaxial cables, other stuff.

But, Desipower.....how can I tell if this one is alive? I did a search, someone posted their little male docking thingy was loose, the one on this one is solid.

I have Samsung 4G phone. No way is it compatible with this docking thingy.

I would not let my phone NEAR it.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Sounds like it might not be working but there is still some good news. The AC adapter alone sells for $35 - $45 on eBay.

Again, if I have no compatible device to seat on its little dock, how can I TELL? If it's alive, plays music, charges things, etc. AND, what I find in this building USUALLY WORKS. Seriously. But in this atypical case, how can I know?

I never sold anything on ebay. I have only bought. Around 290 items since 05.

Yr input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Take it to an Apple Store and see if they'll help you out.

Yes! My thought as well as I posted! I will hide MY phone, of course.:sneaky: Not only did I not know what this thingy was, I had no idea BOSE hooked up with Apple.

I am wondering why Apple din make their own sound dock?

See the totally insane thing I just found:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bos...Conversion/step4/Position-Sound-Dock-in-case/

I've been delving, and even this old one apparently came with a remote. I din find one in the carton, but I will go back up and check again.

Obviously, I see the volume buttons at each side of the docking well......but it seems it did come with a remote.

Sep 12, 2004
The remote can be had for less than $10 on eBay.

And don't hide your phone at the Apple Store. If they ask you why you have an Android phone tell them you like to Think Differently because you know what an adverb is.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
OMG! See? U gotta go back! U gotta BELIEVE.....and keep going back, cause the premise is: this profligate fool is ORGANIZED; he or she just mounted that new device on a wall... which wirelessly controls every single ELECTRONIC GADGET THERE IS in a hundred mile radius. RIGHT THERE, U just KNOW.....the BOSE remote you just learned must exist... MUST be in that carton somewhere!

YES!!!! I FOUND THE TINY REMOTE! Bottom of the carton in a corner under that pile of wires and cables! Also a Samsung remote.
Sorry, I got excited to take the pic and Bose remote is upside down.

Samsung remote is for a Blu Ray player, but it looks kinda universal, has TV setting too.

25f14k4.jpg

Remote's battery.....looks dead, right? but how can we know?
szkg9t.jpg

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Update: Well....my BF pretty sure he knows someone with older iPhone! I remembered my friend Maritha has one...unless she upgraded. But she lives in CA.

Never saw a remote this tiny or thin.....so in need of a lithum battery.

Also know, when I was first looking thru the big carton and came upon this thingy.....I first got excited cause I thought it was oddly/atypically shaped, maybe old BOSE radio.

Many thanks for all the input in this thread!

I simply had NO CLUE. And NOW....I do!!!! I also figured out....the Easter Bunny put this thing there for me to find.....and then kept saying "GO BACK UP".....the remote is THERE.

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
:thumbsup:

:D

But I'm glad, now, I don have to go....cause I would be asking them to test it as a favor.....and you shouldn't do that while texting on yr Samsung Android phone right in their face.

Not good manners. Maybe the Apple person would have been like, "Wut? U ungrateful be-atch!!!!

Kidding.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Yeah, I know, but still :)

Glad to hear it's working.

No, we don know yet! My BF is taking it cause he knows someone with older iPhone. But am pretty sure it's just fine. Just not something I would ever want or need.

MongGrel....I am surrounded by Apple fanatics. It boggles.....esp given how far superior android is!

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
No, we don know yet! My BF is taking it cause he knows someone with older iPhone. But am pretty sure it's just fine. Just not something I would ever want or need.

MongGrel....I am surrounded by Apple fanatics. It boggles.....esp given how far superior android is!

It doesn't have to be a iphone. No one you know has an old Ipod laying around?
I think I have 2 of them in my desk drawer. One of them my brother gave me when he upgraded, and another 120gig I've had for most of a decade.
It would not even have to to be that old, the new dock connecter was introduced in 2012-13.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
It doesn't have to be a iphone. No one you know has an old Ipod laying around?
I think I have 2 of them in my desk drawer. One of them my brother gave me when he upgraded, and another 120gig I've had for most of a decade.
It would not even have to to be that old, the new dock connecter was introduced in 2012-13.

Hi. Jus caught this. All very good thoughts. Cept he took it, and he texted me this AM saying thingy appears to function.

I guess that's good. But I don't know what to do with it. Again, I never sold anything on ebay,I only buy. I am sure it's a no brainer.

Too bad it wasn't a radio. I know, major ingrate, right?:rolleyes:

I saw online the newer ones have AUX connectivity! See? if this one had that, I would keep it and use it. This one is entirely proprietary, and yes, I also saw you can get an adapter for newer Apple devices. I told him.

Maybe he will get one and grow an affection for it and keep it himself.

Or not.