Just fnished Mass Effect (PC).(SLIGHT SPOILERS)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: legoman666
I'm working my way through it now. No bugs as of yet (other than shitty AI pathing, I often lose party members on staircases and such). That said, I DON'T WANT TO WATCH THE SAME DAMN CUT SCENES OVER AND OVER WHEN I DIE. I was about ready to punch a hole in my wall after watching the same 2 minute cut scene for the 10th time.

And the dialogue is too quiet. I have to turn the volume up during conversations and then turn it back down for normal play.

No major AI issues here by just walking, although 1 of 2 squad mates will typically get hung-up if I issue a move order close to a wall or object for both of them.

The death animation doesn't seem to take that long....fade to black-ish with a choice to load last save etc. Not sure what class/difficulty you are playing but some of the talents and armor upgrades go a long way to help improve your survivability.

As for dialogue being too quiet.....have you tried adjusting the sound volume independently in the sound options? Like if voice was too soft, keep that maxed, reduce game sounds and music to 75%, then turn up your windows/speakers/amp/headphone volume. Then you shouldn't have to constantly adjust your sound.

I'm playing on hard. I was going to give an example of an obnoxious fight, but it would give away too much.

And also, I want to quicksave my game whenever I fucking please, not when the game decides I can.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'm working my way through it now. No bugs as of yet (other than shitty AI pathing, I often lose party members on staircases and such). That said, I DON'T WANT TO WATCH THE SAME DAMN CUT SCENES OVER AND OVER WHEN I DIE. I was about ready to punch a hole in my wall after watching the same 2 minute cut scene for the 10th time.

And the dialogue is too quiet. I have to turn the volume up during conversations and then turn it back down for normal play.

No major AI issues here by just walking, although 1 of 2 squad mates will typically get hung-up if I issue a move order close to a wall or object for both of them.

The death animation doesn't seem to take that long....fade to black-ish with a choice to load last save etc. Not sure what class/difficulty you are playing but some of the talents and armor upgrades go a long way to help improve your survivability.

As for dialogue being too quiet.....have you tried adjusting the sound volume independently in the sound options? Like if voice was too soft, keep that maxed, reduce game sounds and music to 75%, then turn up your windows/speakers/amp/headphone volume. Then you shouldn't have to constantly adjust your sound.

I'm playing on hard. I was going to give an example of an obnoxious fight, but it would give away too much.

And also, I want to quicksave my game whenever I fucking please, not when the game decides I can.

There were few fight that gave me any problems using only a pistol and limited biotics playing on hard. Oh, and you can (at least that I've noticed) quick save whenever you please. Simply run backwards away from your enemies until you're far enough away for your squad to give that "all clear" chat message. It's effectively like rubber banding in WoW or something and you drop combat and can save. The only times I've noticed this not being possible is in some of the underground bunkers when you're literally fighting the first few enemies and you just can't back up enough. It took me a few minutes to figure this out, I'm surprised you find it so incredibly frustrating.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
I just finished the game with the soldier class under 18 hours... I'm a little disappointed with the overall endings lol.

I'm going to make a new class, but when you're not starting the game all over again with your previous class, do you still gain all the perks from the challenges you completed? I... kinda want to re-sell the game lol.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
- Difficulty, EXP and money scale based on your level, meaning there is no "set progression" or predefined order of completion. Some plot threads can eliminate other options though, but for most stuff you can complete them in any order without any money or EXP penalty which is a great feature. MMOs would do well to take note of this.

Now I don't know anything about ME but the above statement was true about Oblivion too but alot of people thought that it was a bad thing. Is the scaling somehow different in ME?

Just curious. I was on the fence about the scaling system in Oblivion. It was nice to be able to go anywhere and be able to complete any task at just about any level, but I did miss the occasional stumbling into an area getting my ass handed to me only to return later to wreak havoc on my previous tormentors.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: RS8
I just finished the game with the soldier class under 18 hours... I'm a little disappointed with the overall endings lol.

I'm going to make a new class, but when you're not starting the game all over again with your previous class, do you still gain all the perks from the challenges you completed? I... kinda want to re-sell the game lol.

I just beat it as well. 14 hours and 22minutes. Don't know if I want to replay the game, what's different the second time around?

Over all it was fun, but there are a few bugs that need to be worked out:
I fell off the map a few times
I flipped the Mako once and it wouldn't right itself
I can't maximize the game after minimizing it
going through cutscenes over and over if you die during a battle,
slow ass elevators,
inability to save whenever I want (I don't care if I'm in an elevator or in combat. I want to freaking save).
inability to do some quests after you complete another quest

The shotgun = win.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
Yeah lol, the shotgun is too good. Being a soldier class, I pretty much used Kaidan and Wrex exclusively, pistol and rifle respectively while I used the shottie.

The second time around, think of it as 'new game+' you keep your levels, items/equip/cash (I think) along with your skills, you just unlock a harder difficulty and play through the game differently, like do missions you missed out on the first time. I'm not sure if you can actually change your sub-class after you complete a certain mission (the whole commando, xxx, xxx class).

I haven't go stuck, but I've seen enemies fall through floors and I did go through the whole Mako thing a few times as well. Another bug I've come across is where I cannot shoot at all after a quicksave, so I'd have to reload a file.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I picked up Mass Effect this morning, so I've only started it. AI seems a little flaky though. Why are my squad members standing around getting shot and not returning fire?

My biggest gripe so far though is manual combat, its as if today's RPG developers are trying to morph RPGs into FPSs to try to gain more sales. Its slowly killing the RPG genre. :( If I wanted manual combat I'd play a FPS, I play RPGs for story and plot, not to worry about aiming my weapons.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
You know what, I just remembered that Hellgate is cut from the same cloth and wow, that game was awful.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Ummm.....press F6 to quicksave in ME.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer
I picked up Mass Effect this morning, so I've only started it. AI seems a little flaky though. Why are my squad members standing around getting shot and not returning fire?

My biggest gripe so far though is manual combat, its as if today's RPG developers are trying to morph RPGs into FPSs to try to gain more sales. Its slowly killing the RPG genre. :( If I wanted manual combat I'd play a FPS, I play RPGs for story and plot, not to worry about aiming my weapons.

You can pause combat by pressing the space bar and holding it. If you don't like to aim then put auto aim on high.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: RS8

I just beat it as well. 14 hours and 22minutes. Don't know if I want to replay the game, what's different the second time around?

Over all it was fun, but there are a few bugs that need to be worked out:
I fell off the map a few times
I flipped the Mako once and it wouldn't right itself
I can't maximize the game after minimizing it
going through cutscenes over and over if you die during a battle,
slow ass elevators,
inability to save whenever I want (I don't care if I'm in an elevator or in combat. I want to freaking save).
inability to do some quests after you complete another quest

The shotgun = win.

14.5 hours? Didn't do many side quests eh? Things won't be dramatically different a second time around (although you could choose to do a lot of the side quests you missed/skipped). Obviously you could change all the "pivotal decisions" you made.

The not being able to alt+tab out and back in is kinda annoying, but I don't often find myself needing to do that.

I didn't think the elevators were too bad either, they were just long enough to hear whatever news story related to your questing was on deck or some banter between your squadmates - I did hear the XBox elevator rides were longer though.

I've already explained about that you can quick save whenever (minus being in elevators - but there's no point in the game where you can't quick save the moment you walk off) you want by leaving combat.

And I'm not sure about the inability to do some quests after you complete others? I only noticed this to be a problem once, and that's because I had a secondary quest when I went to finish the last primary and the game ended. I did a lot of side questing though (barely missed the completionist achievement). Without going into any real spoilers, did you do some of the main quest chain stuff first and that eliminte some of the side quest stuff?

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
14.5 hours? Didn't do many side quests eh? Things won't be dramatically different a second time around (although you could choose to do a lot of the side quests you missed/skipped). Obviously you could change all the "pivotal decisions" you made.

The not being able to alt+tab out and back in is kinda annoying, but I don't often find myself needing to do that.

I didn't think the elevators were too bad either, they were just long enough to hear whatever news story related to your questing was on deck or some banter between your squadmates - I did hear the XBox elevator rides were longer though.

I've already explained about that you can quick save whenever (minus being in elevators - but there's no point in the game where you can't quick save the moment you walk off) you want by leaving combat.

And I'm not sure about the inability to do some quests after you complete others? I only noticed this to be a problem once, and that's because I had a secondary quest when I went to finish the last primary and the game ended. I did a lot of side questing though (barely missed the completionist achievement). Without going into any real spoilers, did you do some of the main quest chain stuff first and that eliminte some of the side quest stuff?

I'd estimate I did around 50-60% of the side quests. I didn't actively seek out new ones, but I accepted them whenever I ran by someone who said "Hey, Sheppard!" I completed every side quest I got except one or two that I was not able.

*snip*

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Drift3r

Ummm.....press F6 to quicksave in ME.

I know that.

The quick save is turned off some times. I haven't quite figured out the pattern yet, though whenever you enter an elevator, a quick save will fail.

Edit - I keep wanting to call Shepard 'Colonel Shepard'. Damn you Stargate!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

I'd estimate I did around 50-60% of the side quests. I didn't actively seek out new ones, but I accepted them whenever I ran by someone who said "Hey, Sheppard!" I completed every side quest I got except one or two that I was not able.

There's the place where you kill the sentient plant below the colony. I killed the plant, then talked to the guy to get the quest to find the power generator. The power generator thing is located in the same area as the plant, but the entrance closes up after you kill it. So I was unable to do it.

The power cells are not in the same area as the plant. I actually finished this quest after I killed the plant because I missed their location the first time through, too. :)

Removing no spoilers from the title now.

Originally posted by: Bateluer
The quick save is turned off some times. I haven't quite figured out the pattern yet, though whenever you enter an elevator, a quick save will fail.

I don't think there's much of a pattern besides when you're combat flagged ("in combat") or in an elevator.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The game was okay, but it seemed pale in comparison to previous Bioware games.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Dumac
The game was okay, but it seemed pale in comparison to previous Bioware games.

Comparing things to the Baldur's Gate series just isn't fair! :)

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003

Removing no spoilers from the title now.

bah, that's hardly a spoiler. I'll edit it out.

The power cells are not in the same area as the plant. I actually finished this quest after I killed the plant because I missed their location the first time through, too. :)

It isn't? Well crap. I thought it said it was beneath? Oh well. I think I'll replay the game in a month or two to see if they release a patch.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
You can have some real fun on Noveria. Possible Spoilers follow

One asari spy wants to you to tap into another companies corporate network by talking with a sales representative of that company. First you accept the mission. Then you can tell the sales rep about her sneaky plan and then go back to her, lie that you finished the mission, and then demand more credits by claiming that you could have just gone to the sales rep and told him about her plan. That's just epic.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
It isn't? Well crap. I thought it said it was beneath? Oh well. I think I'll replay the game in a month or two to see if they release a patch.

Yeah it is. You know the first set of tunnels, where the crazy dude is, and that doglike pack of things? The power cells are in one of the two wrecked vehicles. I missed 'em 'cause I just rolled in, kill the dogs, finished that quest, and rolled out. Came back later to find 'em.

Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
You can have some real fun on Noveria. Possible Spoilers follow

One asari spy wants to you to tap into another companies corporate network by talking with a sales representative of that company. First you accept the mission. Then you can tell the sales rep about her sneaky plan and then go back to her, lie that you finished the mission, and then demand more credits by claiming that you could have just gone to the sales rep and told him about her plan. That's just epic.

Yeah, there are some awesome double and triple crosses possible in the game.